Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Walk client featured on Extreme Homemakeover Sun 12/10

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    This so reminds me (and, I'll bet, a lot of us) of the obnoxious strangers who've just got to start conversations with us in public to let us know about how they once were in a w/c too but were much too determined to remain in it. The clear implication being that either we haven't tried hard enough or we'd be up and out of our chairs or we simply must get our shit together and make the necessary effort.

Makes you want to bixch-slap them, well, me anyway. "There! Now if you'd have been trying hard enough, I couldn't have bixch-slapped you." Opps, see, you're still not trying hard enough, are you?
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    I didn't see the show but don't like the sound of her being more disabled than she should be. I hope that was just creative editing.
    prolly cause she was newly injured and hubby bein over-helpful, IMO. hopefully he'll learn to sit back an watch more or either she'll always be or feel needy.

you know as long as somebodys over ya, helpin you do everything she will never learn on her own.

You have to remember that she was shot and had alot of internal injuries...

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

I'd love to know what they used on the bathroom floor for the roll in shower. It didn't look like tile.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    You have to remember that she was shot and had alot of internal injuries...
    Good Point!!

Was she shot more than once? It seemed like her partner was saying that she was shot in the upper chest just under her shoulder area. It didn't appear that he was pointing to an area that was near her spine.

Quote Originally Posted by KiranA
    I caught the episode also. I thought it was great to see how accessible a house can be made, and it brought a lot of necessary awareness to places like Project Walk and the Life Rolls On Foundation.

Ms. Ripatti was hurt in the line of duty, which is quite tragic, but it seems like she has a strong support system that will allow her to get through this.

The only thing that peaked my curiousity was that she looked like she was perhaps a high level para. Why did she need her husband to carry her out of the car and also carry her onto and off of the bed towards the end of the show? He also was pushing her around quite a bit. Perhaps there is something more to her injury that I was not made aware of, but it appeared that she was quite dependant on him. He also said numerous times how hard it had been because he needed to provide a lot of care for his wife so he was unable to look after his daughter. Although I'm a low para, I have friends who have the same level of injury who are a lot more independent than her. I'm curious why it was depicted that she required more help than she actually did? I don't want to sound insensitive and perhaps I don't know exactly what her injury is, so perhaps someone can fill me in.

I guess my frustration comes from the fact that as good as it is that millions of people tune into this show because it promotes awareness, I also felt that that this episode perpetuated some common misconceptions of individuals with disabilities, especially women and the large viewing audience that does tune into this show will leave with those misconceptions.
    I was thinking the same thing..i mean great that she got the make over butshe was acting ... she wasnt that helpless... for crying out loud Im a quad and way more independent than her.. para and needs to be lifted for transfering... ???????????common Krista i know you want the make over but don't make others look helpless

I think people are over reacting. Maybe they wanted her to move fast or have her husband pick her up like a new couple in a new home wedding kind of thing.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

She explained on the show that the bullet in question went in under her armpit, ricocheted off her rib, and then ripped through her spinal and cord. No question that she has a cord injury, and probably major lung injury too. She may have had some brachial plexis injury this way too, which would explain some shoulder/arm weakness on the left more than just from being a para and not working out enough.

I am still dying to know where she went for rehab. If she were so ill at first, she should have had a longer rehab stay. Worker's comp for cops (in my experience) is very flexible about length of stay in rehab.

One of the problems I have with this show is the "Jerry's Kids" approach to disability that they tend to lean toward for the shows that feature someone with a disablility. It definately is not the independent living (non-medical model) that is probably more acceptable in the disability community.

(KLD)

Isnt it some sort of tradition to carry your wife over the threshold of a new house? Good luck or something?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Thanks KLD

I totally missed that explanation of where the bullet went. I wasn't questioning whether or not she had a spinal cord injury, I just couldn't figure out how it got there.