Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel Program

Bowel Program

I can't seem to get my bowel program to where I would like it to be. I'm going on 5 mos post. I use ducolax, and I take two generic senna plus' each day. I routinely have to go mid day and I don't understand why. My mom thinks I'm not emptying out at night. Any insite?

You may just need more time. It was over a year before my bowel program became routine.

I take regular colace in the morning and before bed. I do my BP in the morning after a light breakfast, using digistim only. I go every day too.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Camille, there are quite a few threads on this site with a lot of insights into bowel programs. You don't say what your level of injury is, but one of the things that helped me was to know that I had lower motor neuron problems. It is not unusual to have to go twice a day if that is your problem. Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003

Camille,
    I agree with MikeC, we need more info to give you some info. What level injury are you, when do you take the senna, do your bowel program?

JM

Sorry. I take the senna in the afternoon 2 of them and I'm a T 12 incomplete and I do my bowel program at 8:30 p.m. every night.

Originally posted by Camille:

Sorry. I take the senna in the afternoon 2 of them and I'm a T 12 incomplete and I do my bowel program at 8:30 p.m. every night.
    all laxatives take awhile to work.
    it doesn't sound like you're giving it enough time before you do your bp.....which might explain having to go again the next day.
    i've always used this guideline----i take senna about 12 hours before i want to do my bp.
    late morning for a night bp, bedtime for a morning bp.
    you need to experiment (ugh lol) and see what's right for your body.

Being someone with a lower level injury, you might try a rectal check in the am to see if ay stool has moved down, or at least try sitting on thetoilet, doing some valsalva to get rid of stool lower down.

JM

Camille, I do what SCI-Nurse suggested. I sit on the toilet in the morning (as well as at night) and do valsalva to see if there is anything there. I never sit on the toilet more than a minute - either there is something or there isn't. I would rather do that than a rectal check. Mike.

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003

KLD...what is valsalva?

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Kap, the valsava manuever is when you hold your breath and squeeze to increase pressure in your chest. It stimulates the parasympathetic and sympathic system. Wise.