Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Rates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Insurance Rates

My wife works at a local hospital , you would think her Insurance would be low or even free , WRONG , she just found out as of Jan. 1st , her rates will become $208.00 every othere week with a $500,00 Dedutable and M.R.I.'s and Cat Scans , XRAYS too I think it's $100.00 , I think it's time for me where I am on S.S.D.I. should sign up for Medicare plan A for hospialization , Dr. visits or medication didn't , this is not fair a hospital worker having to pay that much .......LBUSH

I guess that is better than the new 'consumer directed' plans where they envision you going around shopping for healthcare bargains to keep your costs low (as there is minimal coverage). Nothing like passing the buck to the employee, you should have her thank them for the pay/benefits cut, and maybe not work as hard, LOL. Or better yet...bring in the Union. No $$ out of my pocket here, where non-union at my company has to pay in (even though it is self-insured ).

You would think a hospital worker would have free health or very low health Insurance as part of their benifits that's $1708 not counting deductables , now since I am totally disabled and on S.S.D.I. it's time for Medicare part A , would I be eligable for that , that's the part for hospitalization , where I keep getting these U.R.I.'s and they stick me in the Hospital for I.V antibiotics, I've noticed ever since I switched my Urologist I haven't had one yet and it's been since Sept. , it makes me wonder about that other DR. , I was going into the hospital every 4-6 weeks like clock work , I really don't think that DR. knows what he's doing.Larry

My parents pay around $1500 per month for insurance that has a $2 mil lifetime cap, which I'm nearing half used already in three years on it. A company like United Airlines has an unlimited lifetime cap for $50-$150 per month.

It's basically who you have and how big the company is that you work at.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I'm a T-5 "complete" on SSDI and Medicare. I wanted to get an MRI of my spine taken since I've never had one. And because I'm on gabapentin for neuropathic pain (2000mgs a day) I thought it may be that my spinal column needs a little adjustment after 27 years of sittin' in a freakin' wheelchair. Well I called up the "imaging center" to find out the cost since I'm responsible for 20% of it. I need 3 images taken because I have Harrington rods in my back. That's 2 of my thoracic area, one with contrast dye and one without and then just one of my upper lumbar region where there aren't any rods. I was quoted a price of around $1,600 so won't be getting them taken until I find an extra $320 laying around somewhere.

I bought $20 in lottery tickets yesterday so if I'm lucky tomorrow night (Wednesday) and win a few grand or the biggie, a few million, I'll have them taken. Plus I need new glasses and a dentist visit and Medicare covers zero of these "luxuries". Healthcare in the "richest" country of the world.

Yeah, right.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I have worked in hospitals for 32 years (4 different ones), and I have never had free health insurance. The employer subsidizes it, but I still have to pay a premium for myself (and for my spouse when I was married). Currently, just for myself I pay $100/month (this is 20% of the premium), and this does not include any dental. This is for a PPO. I could save a little by opting for an HMO, or pay more for a more expensive insurance, but this is the plan that meets my needs. I cannot get care at all where I currently work. When I worked in a different hospital, employees got a discount (20%) but we still had to pay (or pay for insurance) for anything else. I have a $1000 annual deductable.

Many employers are getting rid of or cutting back on health insurance as it is generally their most expensive benefit, so there is no longer any guarantee for many workers that they will have insurance just because they are employed full-time. It is not a legal requirement in any state that I know of that employers provide insurance.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I have worked in hospitals for 32 years (4 different ones), and I have never had free health insurance. The employer subsidizes it, but I still have to pay a premium for myself (and for my spouse when I was married). Currently, just for myself I pay $100/month (this is 20% of the premium), and this does not include any dental. This is for a PPO. I could save a little by opting for an HMO, or pay more for a more expensive insurance, but this is the plan that meets my needs. I cannot get care at all where I currently work. When I worked in a different hospital, employees got a discount (20%) but we still had to pay (or pay for insurance) for anything else. I have a $1000 annual deductable.

Many employers are getting rid of or cutting back on health insurance as it is generally their most expensive benefit, so there is no longer any guarantee for many workers that they will have insurance just because they are employed full-time. It is not a legal requirement in any state that I know of that employers provide insurance.

(KLD)
    Hi KLD,

When I was working at US Steel (before it became USX in order to "diversify) we were covered under Blue Cross and Blue Shield. That's when Unions were still fairly effective at bargaining, not like today's Unions that no longer wield any real power and are more or less just potted plants. Healthcare wasn't free since it was bargained for as part of Union/Management negotiations. I don't believe we had any deductible or co-pay at all. Prescriptions weren't covered but we had dental coverage and I think eyeglasses.... I had 20/20 - 20/10 back then so I'm not sure about that. But that's how much things have changed over 30 years. The current healthcare inflation rate is more than double (could be near triple) the government's COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) that's based on the LEI (Leading Economic Indicators).

$1,000 annual deductible is a killer. That'll scare ya into staying healthy! That's expensive, Medicare's annual deductible is only $124.

Don't Nurses get some free preventive medical services to keep yas healthy? If they don't, they should. My sister is an RN and worked in the OR as a "Circulating Nurse". She damaged her spine transferring patients and has had two spinal or vertebra operations for sciatica and "dropfoot". She thinks she may need a third operation as the symptoms appear to be re-emerging.

She then became a home healthcare nurse so she could have more control over her working lifestyle. Could walk around a bit and then sit while driving so she could control her pain without meds. But now she's in training in TX to become the "director" of a wound care center here in FL specializing in the use of hyperbaric chambers. Almost doubled her pay too. I'm proud of her.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Your sister should have been covered under Workers Comp, not her own insurance for an OTJ injury like that. More progressive hospitals now days are implementing Safe Patient Handling and Movement programs to prevent injuries like this. Nurses still are #1 in the USA for all professions/jobs in OTJ back injuries.

No, I know of no hospitals that just provide free care their staff, and most offer few options for insurance, and rarely is it free. Most nurses are not unionized. People in heavy industry who do have unions nearly always have better health care coverage than health care professionals do.

(KLD)

The hospital I worked at offered a 50% discount. We ran into alot of billing problems with employees having plastic surgeries at the 50% rate. Of course it was a small critical access hospital also.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I would think they should get some brake in their insurance rates ,not free but $208 every 2 weeks is a killer , my wife is hardly ever sick it's me I was in the hospital 7 times this past year ,that would of been $3500 that's a lot of money when ones income is S.S.D.I. and only getting $1088 that would of been over 3 months of my pay