Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee to prevent UTI?

Coffee to prevent UTI?

When my urine starts clouding up, what I've been doing is drinking only water, doubling my water intake and vitamin C, and cathing more often hoping to flush it out before I get a UTI. Usually it clears up in a couple of days.

My urine started clouding up again, so I started drinking more water and taking extra vitamin C as usual. After a few days it wasn't clearing up.

I sometimes have a cup of coffee in the morning, and it always makes me pee clear as water a couple of hours later. I thought of this, and dicided to give it a try. I drank a cup of coffee, and two hours later I had to cath. It came out a little cloudy. I drank another cup of coffee, and two hours later cathed clear as water.

It's been a couple of days now, and no more cloudy urine.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

jim, coffee is a diuretic. This is very interesting. Wise.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

jim, coffee is a diuretic. This is very interesting. Wise.
    I was told that coffee and other cafinated drinks will make me retain water. I limit myself to one cafinated drink per day, wether it's a coffee in the morning or coke with dinner. Most days I only drink water though.

Even when I was AB, coffee always made me pee shortly after drinking it.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I know somebody who claimed to drink beer for the same purpose. Of course, he probably would have drank it anyway...

peace

I just did a medline search for any relationship between coffee and urinary tract infection. There was no mention of coffee-drinking being a preventative factor in urinary tract infections. A number of studies suggest a slight (possibly non-significant) correlation between coffee and bladder cancer. I am skeptical about this correlation because people who drink coffee also tend to do other things (such as smoking, drinking, and engage in high-stress jobs) that may predispose to bladder cancer. Hmm, according the the following abstract, "heavy pipe-smoking" significantly increased the risk.

Wise.

• Kunze E, Chang-Claude J and Frentzel-Beyme R (1993). [Etiology, pathogenesis and epidemiology or urothelial tumors]. Verh Dtsch Ges Pathol. 77: 147-56. Zentrum Pathologie der Universitat Gottingen. A hospital-based case-control study of 531 male and 144 female matched pairs was conducted to analyse the role of nonoccupational and occupational risk factors in the etiology of tumors of the lower urinary tract. Smoking of cigarettes was associated with an increased risk and showed a significant dose- and time-response for both sexes. Heavy pipe smoking also significantly increased the risk. Controlling for smoking, a significantly twofold or more increase in risk was found for heavy consumption of coffee in both sexes and for heavy intake of beer in males. Increasing levels of total fluid intake were associated with increasing, smoking-adjusted risks in men. Significant associations were found for chronic infection of the lower urinary tract, familial history of bladder cancer, and frequent consumption of high fat meals among men and for frequent consumption of canned food in both sexes. With regard to occupational history, significantly elevated risks were found for ever-employment in the printing, plastics and synthetics, rubber, mining and dyestuffs industries, for exposure to spray paints, zinc, chromium/chromate, oils, petroleum and metal dust/fume, and for occupation as mining worker and truck driver among men. Multivariate logistic regression analysis showed-with the exception of fluid intake-significant contribution of the above-mentioned risks factors to the risk of bladder cancer.

I find drinking Coffee gives me UTI'S. Its too bad as I really like coffee, but cant drink it otherwise I get infected.

My body essentially responds the same as jimnms's. Coffee and alcohol typically have the same effect with the clarity of urine & frequency of needing to cath. I've never noticed anything related to UTIs though. Significantly (24-32oz or more in < 1hr) increasing water intake does clear the urine up for me.

Cancer, uti's? GEEZ..I love my coffee by the pots.

I do notice if I drink plain water I have trouble urinating unless i back it with a diarhetic<sp> coffee helps me flow well. Actually other the years i've noticed less infections. I do admit it keeps me up, but i can never sleep anyway.

I never cath being i void on my own so the coffee helps my flow, that and cranberry juice.

Jim, the same exact thing happens to me when I drink coffee too. Very clear urine about 1 1/2 hrs after drinking it.

i used to get a lot of uti's when ab. one of the things on the list to stay away from, according to my urologist, was caffeine.

ironically, since i've been injured (18 yrs now), i rarely get a uti.