Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 19 Year Old Nephew C6 C7 Complete

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel
    Yes, Do look out for pressure sores, I know, I had them, but I was in a coma for 6-8 weeks. They tried to fix them in the first place I was in, and not much happened in the second, I also developedd blood clots in both legs, even though they weren't injured. Between the clots and the sores it set me back, when I came home I was sent to a wound center and they got cleared up realy easy with a triple antibiotic solution twice a day. Makes me wonder why they where never treated this way to begin with. As for velcro shoes I used them for a year and a half, sneakers, they didn't look that bad, except the dog hair would stop them from strapping down. He'll have to make a decision style or function? His call, more power to him if he can tie them, but I definitly think motorcycle boots are out of the question, my feet were big for two years!!!!!! look out for swollen legs, that is a sure sign of clots, the even get a little red, and no it's not a sign of healthy legs, that was my excuse, I lost.

Best of luck to your nephew
    They are turning him every two hours, but I don't think they are putting any antibiotic solution on the sore. Another thing to ask about ...

He's also wearing "boots" to prevent blood clots and they are checking every time they turn him. He had a stint implanted immediately after the injury to catch clots, too. I don't know if that's a long term solution.

I'll have to remember that red legs is not healthy. Swollen I figured was bad, but I never thought about the shoe size going up. My sister said they recommended high tops to him. She must have been kidding. He may have to go with Velcro at first, but I'm betting he'll learn to tie his shoes, too.

I really had no idea there were so many secondary problems with SCI. I'm learning something new constantly. And every problem can delay therapy.

Thanks for your support.

Don't know about boots, after the first two rounds of blood clots, I went to Columbia Presybeterian in the city and they put stockings on my legs, not cool but , it did help, wore them on and off for about two months, amazed me something so simple worked so well, they were open toed in the front, after I got them, I started seeing alot of people wearing them in various Doctors offices, Hmmmmm something I never really noticed, but now I know why!! Now if I could only get rid of a water problem I'm always having in the left foot I think I could have it beat. Oh they have me on a blood thinner,that has to be monitered closely, but POOF!!! no more clots

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    If he can figure out how to wear the shoes he likes, by all means he ought to wear them! To this day shoes are my biggest clothing problem. I don't wear velcro ones either, but I would have at first if I'd had some. I hated waiting for people to dress and undress me. Style wasn't an issue for me in rehab, but I was 40 and already out of style. Hard to be cool in diapers anyway. I remember when I graduated from diapers and my roommate said "Oh, I want panties too! Beth has panties!" It was sad LOL. 2 women in their 40's, wanting big-girl undies!

The Ipod sounds great, cool idea getting it engraved, I think I'll do that to my son's too!

I honestly don't know one c6-7 that uses typing sticks. At worst we use our thumb knuckles. I use index finger and thumb on one hand, thumb knuckle on the other, type twice as fast as my AB brother.

It SUCKS that he got a pressure sore! Where is it? They set more people back in rehab than all other things combined, I bet. He needs to take responsibility, insist on being turned if it isn't getting done. They need to teach ppl that 1st day out of ICU. (I got to rehab w/ one and didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Happens ALL the time.)
    We think the pressure sore came from "monkey butt." That's when bikers get dirt above their butt crack while riding. That's where the sore is and I'm guessing he had dirt there and wasn't cleaned up because there were so many other issues to attend to. Who knows?

That's really good news about the typing. He was suppose to have gotten his laptop today. I'll have to ask my sister if it arrived. He's got to get on this site. Not only would it give him answers and advice of people who really know what they are talking about, but it would help pass the time while he's waiting for the pressure sore to heal (a week to ten days) before he can start rehab.

You actually made me smile with diaper story. I would have thought the same thing.

I think Nick's accident will change us all.

Thanks!

I haden't riden in a few years, street or dirt, not that many times anyway, but that is exactly where mine was!!!!

Don't know about boots, after the first two rounds of blood clots, I went to Columbia Presybeterian in the city and they put stockings on my legs, not cool but , it did help, wore them on and off for about two months, amazed me something so simple worked so well, they were open toed in the front, after I got them, I started seeing alot of people wearing them in various Doctors offices, Hmmmmm something I never really noticed, but now I know why!! Now if I could only get rid of a water problem I'm always having in the left foot I think I could have it beat. Oh they have me on a blood thinner,that has to be monitered closely, but POOF!!! no more clots
    It may be the same thing or he may have stockings and boots. I'm not sure. I heard them referring to both. I had stockings when I had surgery three years ago. I wore them home. I kind of liked them. It reminded me of wearing tights when I was a kid taking dance lessons.

Good luck with the water problem. Sounds like you are on top of it.

I haden't riden in a few years, street or dirt, not that many times anyway, but that is exactly where mine was!!!!
    Is that right! Then maybe it wasn't related to the "monkey butt."

Also be aware of a condition common to SCI, Hedeotropic Calcification "HO". What it is is calcium deposits (build up) on the hips which hinders the hip joint from moving freely.
    Alhavel, did you got to Spain Rehab in Birmingham, AL??? That is the only place I know of that routinely gives Didronel to try to prevent HO (heterotopic ossification). We really don't know how to prevent it, although it is more common in those with TBI and SCI combined, and in those who had a longer ICU course and a longer time of bedrest, and is also common in anyone with SCI who gets a pressure ulcer. Didronel for prevention is not an accepted standard of care. It is one of the most common treatments used if the HO does occur (which happens in less than 10% of new injuries).

Sacral pressure ulcers are not from dirt. They are from laying on your back for too long on too hard of a surface. He should not be on his back at all while they are attempting to heal this area, even if on a specialty mattress now.

Even with a Greenfield/VC filter in place, DVT prevention is critical. The TED or antiembolism stockings or sequential pumps are not enough alone. They should be combined with routine anticoagulation for at least 3 months post injury with LMWH (low molecular weigh heparin = Levonox). You can download the clinical practice guideline on prevention of DVT from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine. Print it out and ask his physician about compliance with this.
    http://www.pva.org/site/PageServer?p...bs_generalpubs

You can get both the professional and patient versions of the CPG on Pressure Ulcers for people with SCI at the same site.

(KLD)

Hi, Auntlore,

It sounds like Nick is doing great! It reminds me so much of what we went through with Jimmy. Jimmy got a pressure sore at that same place. Monkey butt! That's funny. Jimmy had chunks of dirt in his hair - long curly blond hair - for a week or so before he got a decent bath. Heck, his visitors left a trail of dirt leading to his room, too.

Jimmy has use of his fingers but he never ties... just cut and tuck the shoe laces and you have slip ons.

We are always thinking of Nick! It's nice to read your updates.

I have a greenfeild filter in me, I forget so easy now, but no, I had Mathers Wound Center on Long Island give me the triple antibiotic solution. They were great, Dr. Kenney did it, it got cleared up in no time. Actually, my spine was visable, not a pretty sight , they took a picture of it for me,,,, yuck!!! It has benn 2 1/2 years now and beleive me I check it all the time, never again!!!! It's too bad I found this sight so late in the game for me, I could have saved myself alot of aggrevation. itake Coumidan, now, probly forever I am lucky to have 2 cousins that arre both Doctors, I also have a testing machine to check the Coumidan at home, I was so afraid of some of the things I had heard. I certainly don't want to see any one go through ssome of the things I went through. I am as always moving forward!! Thanks.

Honestly, if you could see what hit me in the head and back, and sent me flying, things would be a liittle bit easier for me. I have pictures, but don't know how to post them, of the thing that struck me, of course. You don't want to see the other ones. Thanks