Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 Year Old Nephew C6 C7 Complete

I think he has a laptop, but I'll check. I know my sister has been using one at the hospital.

I Googled typing sticks. That's an excellent idea. He's learning to use his hands without the mobility of his fingers, and I think that would make him a good candidate for them.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AuntLore
    Trainman,

By the way, when you said equipment, did you mean the equipment at the rehab center or equipment Nick will use at home? Or both?
    I was referring to equipment he'll eventually be using at home, but getting familiar with in therapy. Wheelchair cushions can be problematic in finding the right one for pressure relief, but a big savings in time and frustration if it reduces pressure sores.

I agree with what was said about typing sticks and a laptop, it would be great to see him on here. Look for posts by Orangejello to follow someone on here from shortly after injury to now returned home.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Aunt Lorie

Ty0ping sticks? maybe you wuld be better to let him progress a liitle , after all he has been through, I say this because, I have been through that, and done that. No one ever offered me sticks, instead, my father brought me my cell phone, and that is when the light went on,,,,,,,, What I thought happened, did not, and it was a rude, but not bad awakinng for me. I am an odd duck, for sure but , looking back on it now, maybe it was the only way I would have known what went down the day I almost lost my life. No fault of my own, I didn't construct the building that fell on me, and put me in ICU for 6=8 weeks the guy who owned the dock, and the fat whore of a wife only called, much later in the day, an executive decision had to be made,,,, open the scotch, or break open the champagne????????

That's New York Life HUH????? He git Busted IN New Jersey for smuggling Drugs I didn't, and where did the money he now has come from??? DRUGS BABY!!!!!!!! and this is what our society gives us, no use for the little man, if I could have run a drug boat for him maybe it would have been another story, not fit for this forum, but be as life is I will go agaisnt hiim and the 2 ton whore. so help me God, and please do

He'll certainly be busy with PT for awhile. I'm going to see him on Sunday, so I'll just ask him what he wants for now, and try to think of ideas for him, too. He's just ready to get started at Jackson.

Cushions are really important and I would think it's not "one size or thickness, etc." fits all. I want to let my sister be involved in that decision. But I did mention it to her.

If he's used to using the laptop, then the typing stick would make sense. I would love to see him in this chat room, too. I'm going to tell him about it. Someone asked him for his autograph a couple of days ago and he was able to write it on a photo with the use of a specially designed pen. If he can do that, I'd say he could use a laptop.

By the way, did you see the package on Good Morning American today? It was from the Christopher Reeve Foundation's work on "repetitive memory" (I think that's what it's called.) and walking. I recorded it to show my sister. I'm going to have to see if there's a thread on that topic.

I'll check out Orangejello. Thanks for the tip.

Lore

You said it. Every injury and every person are different. We've been told so many stories about people with "the same injury" that are walking a few months later, and I don't think they had the same injury.

I never really gave that much thought to the distinction of high quad and lower quad, but I can see that can be significant. I just thought it was all the same. I went to high school in Titusville, FL, and a fellow student was injured playing football. I was there. I can remember that when everyone got up after the play, he just layed there. We had no idea what was going on. His name was Pat Landry and it was 1970 (I think.) He was older than me so I didn't know him well, but I remember him coming to "Teen Town" after the injury, and we'd put playing cards in the edge of an upside down board game box to hold his cards while we played. I had no concept then of how seriously injured he was or that there were degrees of injury. I often wonder what happened to him. I heard that he was coaching football at Astronaut High (also in Titusville), but he's not on the faculty list today.

Now that you say it, it makes so much sense to let Nick try to do things without extra tools first, then make adjustments if needed. It's so tempting to try to make things as easy as possible for him.

I'll look for Divin'Darren and Rahab Rhino.

Thanks.

One of the first things I needed was the right cell phone. The little flip-type phones AB's use are unworkable for most quads. The candy bar type, the old fashioned ones, with big buttons work best for me.

I got about 80% of my left hand back but still can't use my husband's cellphone.

It's a good idea to hold off on most gadgets. I have a closet full of stuff ordered in rehab that I don't use. Some I could still use but figured out a way around it, like a writing device...I just quit writing, use the computer. Also a buttoning device...I bought clothes without buttons for the most part.

Shoes w/ velcro closure might be a good thing but who knows what size his feet will be. Decent looking sweatpants and tops would be good. I wear a lot of yoga style pants, they're presentable and they pull on.

It sucks to just wear worn out old sweats daily. As an AB, that's what I had, because I only wore them at home or the gym. Post sci, they hung on me and were still rags of course. I really appreciated gifts of presentable clothes I could manage easily, exercise in and still wear to the store/library/doctor's office/movie, places I went regularly. This might not be so important to a guy.

A good electric razor might be really appreciated for a guy. One of the things I wanted most in rehab was a beauty salon visit, for coloring, cut, waxing etc. If you could get a barber to visit him in rehab it might be appreciated.

A masseuse that would visit rehab would have been heavenly.

I can think of lots of ways to spend your money for you!
    Last edited by betheny; 12-09-2006 at 02:32 PM.

So many good ideas!!! They are great. The velcro shoes, the sweat pants, the shaver, the non-flip phone ... all excellent. Thank you.

Tomorrow, I'm taking Nick an artifical Christmas tree (table top size) to have in the hospital. My daughter will decorate it while we are visiting.

His 20th birthday is December 18, which is the day after the benefit for him at Seminole, so I'm sure he'll have lots of friends in town visiting.

You're almost as good as I am at spending my money!

Thanks again.

As a former inpatient and outpatient of Jackson Memorial (attended 5/2004 and later in 1/2005) I can tell you firsthand that the facility is outdated. The therapist are knowledgeable and as an inpatient he'll make the most out of the P/T and O/T they offer, about two hours of each everyday. They'll teach him and the family how to cope with all the aspects of SCI. Be forewarned though that the food and nursing care suck. As an outpatient, therapy is poor compared to what you get as an inpatient. One hour of P/T and O/T maybe twice a week in which they just give you some range of motion or strap you down to an exercise machine. To me Jackson just didn't live up to its reputation. Hope he has a better time.
    C3-C4 complete quad
    since 1/2004
    "I don't fear death, only the method of dying"

That's not good news -- but it's something we need to know. I've heard such good things about the doctor he'll have, but maybe rehab and the medical care are two different things.

Is Jackson part of or affiliated with the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis?

I just checked out your Website. It is a rare glimpse into the reality of SCI and I thank you for sharing it. It's very difficult for me to read and see your Website, but I have no idea what difficult really is.