Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 Year Old Nephew C6 C7 Complete

AuntLore,
    I've seen that Magee in Phila. is supposed to be
    one of the Hospitals that's rated as tops in the
    SCI field. When we were looking for treatment for my son,
    that was the first on my list as somewhere to investigate.
    As it turned out, his mother had a large say about him not being moved too far from home, and the circumstances of his transfer were determined in a matter of hours.
    We really were in a whirlwind and the Shock Trauma center just whisked him off to thier 'sister center' closeby.
    Fortunately it is a decent SCI center, and has a good reputation. In hindsight, I think that we were given the 'bum's rush' out of there (Shock Trauma) and really had no time to try to make an alternate decision. Once there, it was decided to keep him there. I'm not sure we were allowed to make the very best decision, but he demanded to be close to his young son- so we 'let it ride'. The almost daily visits with his son has done wonders for his emotional state. He was "Mr. Mom", and was his daily caregiver before the accident. These visitations would not have been possible or practical, elsewhere.
    Last edited by nide44; 12-04-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

I am sorry to hear about another SCI. It has been over 7 months for my son and I am still learning. He was 20 yrs. old when he had an ATV accident that left him injured at T8. I have heard wonderful things about Shepherd in Atlanta. In fact, I have contacted them about their Beyond Therapy program. I have read many books that I found on the Christopher Reeve website. I ordered them and they have helped me to understand a lot of about SCI. Hopefully, a cure is soon and I really feel encouraged about what is happening with the research at this time.

keep faith

Hi there,

So sorry about the injury. My brother suffered the same injure 4 weeks ago yesterday. He is struggling very much with his lungs it seems that your nephew is doing much better with regards to that, hope it stays so. This is a rollercoaster from hell with the smallest things that becomes a high and a lot of setbacks that makes it difficult to keep faith. My prayers are with all people that suffer from these injuries and may your prayers for recovery come true.

Best Wishes

Quote Originally Posted by AuntLore
    Thank you for the replies.

I was not at the race, but was driving home from visiting family when I got the call. I arrived moments after my sister. He is at Shands in Gainesville, and was racing at Gatorback in the same city. He was airlifted and given stereods by the first responders. His other injuries were minor. Dislocated shoulder and hip and a little road rash. The helmet saved his life. The race had just begun and he was in third place, passing the second place rider who slide under him. They were hidden from view by a mogul from the bulk of the pack which landed on my nephew.

We are considering Shepherds Spinal Center in Atlanta, Jackson in Miami, Mt. Sinai in NYC, Mayo, Craig in Colorado, and any place else.

I feel a sense of urgency and, as I'm sure everyone in this situation feels, wanting to do the best possible thing for him.
    I would strongly urge you to consider Shepherd. You won't look back or regret it. I have assisted a number of families who have gone there and each has been pleased with the care as well as patient education.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Shepherd is definitely being considered (it's probably the top choice right now). We have heard wonderful things about it. I lived in Atlanta for 17 years, having moved to S. Florida 12 years ago, so we are very familiar with the area. My cousin used to work at Shepherd also.

My sister has 5 children, Nick is the second oldest, the youngest is 8. I was wondering how long away from home they might have to be with Nick's initial treatment? Should both parents be with Nick at all times? We need to begin making arrangements for the other children if they move him to anywhere other than Jackson in Miami. However, the only consideration is what is best for Nick.

It is as if we've joined a club that we didn't know existed, and I'm very grateful for a chance to ask these questions.

Borries, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I can see that what would be a small thing before, can be a big problem for Nick now. He had a slight cold when injured and it turned into pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung within a day of the injury.

I will pray for your brother and for a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by nide44
    AuntLore,
    I've seen that Magee in Phila. is supposed to be
    one of the Hospitals that's rated as tops in the
    SCI field. When we were looking for treatment for my son,
    that was the first on my list as somewhere to investigate.
    As it turned out, his mother had a large say about him not being moved too far from home, and the circumstances of his transfer were determined in a matter of hours.
    We really were in a whirlwind and the Shock Trauma center just whisked him off to thier 'sister center' closeby.
    Fortunately it is a decent SCI center, and has a good reputation. In hindsight, I think that we were given the 'bum's rush' out of there (Shock Trauma) and really had no time to try to make an alternate decision. Once there, it was decided to keep him there. I'm not sure we were allowed to make the very best decision, but he demanded to be close to his young son- so we 'let it ride'. The almost daily visits with his son has done wonders for his emotional state. He was "Mr. Mom", and was his daily caregiver before the accident. These visitations would not have been possible or practical, elsewhere.
    We all do the best that we can for our children, and in hindsight it is easy to be critical of ourselves. Even now, only 10 days after the injury, I already see things I wish we had done differently. I didn't ask the most important questions of the caregivers because I didn't know what they were. The first day was a nightmare in trauma. The unit at Shands in Gainesville was bombarded with cases (Thanksgiving weekend) and they left us alone with Nick after stablelizing him for over 12 hours without a doctor visiting or an answer the condition of his spinal cord (which apparently they knew from the beginning was 90% severed). The emotions were raw, Nick was aware of everything going on around him, the room was packed at all times with family people from the race track (which was a good thing except we learned later he shouldn't be exposed to germs because of stereods).

In all fairness to Shands, after that first day and he was moved from Trauma to ICU, then Intermediate Care, they have been nothing but fabulous with both Nick and my family.

Bottom line, the whole thing is overwhelming, and I wonder, is there only one right decision for the next step in Nick's care?

Quote Originally Posted by teach1
    I am sorry to hear about another SCI. It has been over 7 months for my son and I am still learning. He was 20 yrs. old when he had an ATV accident that left him injured at T8. I have heard wonderful things about Shepherd in Atlanta. In fact, I have contacted them about their Beyond Therapy program. I have read many books that I found on the Christopher Reeve website. I ordered them and they have helped me to understand a lot of about SCI. Hopefully, a cure is soon and I really feel encouraged about what is happening with the research at this time.
    Thank you for your message. I'm sure you can relate, having a son of nearly the same age. Nick will be 20 on December 18. I'm trying to be thankful for the things we have. Nick can move his arms and breathe on his own, and he wasn't brain damaged (the helmet he wore is a sight to see). After all, we still have Nick.

Shepard is a great choice, I did not go there, but after I got home almost a year later I had contacted them , and talked with them in regards to what I had been doing they weere good to give me guidance on what to do. They helped me tailor a rehab program up here I coiuld use. I gave alot of the info to my PT's and we have used it to work on me.So far it;s been good, and I am now lucky to walk with a quad cane, walker or at times nothing at all. Considering the wreck I was this is really something, not only did I live through the mess I was in but I've been able to excell.
    Best of luck to you

Reading your message is so inspiring. I'm am so happy to hear you are able to walk, even with assistance. Hearing of people doing more than they were expected to do is the most encouraging thing.

Thanks for the endorsement of Shepherd. I'd say it's between Shepherd and Jackson in Miami at this point. I'm thinking my sister and her husband should tour and meet the people at these faciltities before deciding. I don't think it's a coincidence that I keep hearing how good Shepherd is.