Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: 19 Year Old Nephew C6 C7 Complete

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated. Things got very busy.

Nick and family have been adjusting to being on their own. The routine is exhausting. I hope it gets easier, and based on what I hear from my sister about the people they've met with similar injuries, it will get easier. Indpendence is the goal, which includes driving ... I'm sure.

They have done so much on the remodeling, most of it through the work of friends in the business -- working at night and on weekends. It looks great. They raised floors, added ramps, relocated and replaced doors, moved the laundry room and air conditioner, painted, added lighting, and, most importantly, added a bathroom for Nick. There's still more to do, but the progress has been amazing. People have been so generous.

Speaking of generous people, a family in southwest FL donated their used (but in tip top shape) handicap-equipped van. My husband and I picked it up on Superbowl Sunday and delivered it to Nick. There's a picture of the family and the van on Nick's Web site under "friends." (www.nickdepalo.com) This family did not know Nick before the accident. They met through mutual friends, and even though the husband (who was injured by a gunshot 18 years ago) would have every reason to be bitter, he was the most gentle and loving man. It was a humbling experience to meet him and his family.

Nick was able to go to a big motocross event in Atlanta a couple of weekends ago as the guest of Honda. He had a super time. In some ways, he's like a celebrity. He was interviewed by our local ABC news anchor for a very nice piece on Nick and Daryl Gwyn (C6/7 16 years post drag racer).

I hope to see Nick this weekend. I am hosting a going away party for my son who is moving to Boulder, CO, and I expect Nick and family to attend. I'm sure I'll add photos to the Web site.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Lore

Glad to hear all is going well still! I will be back in West Palm this weekend for rugby was going to email Nick to see if he wanted to attend. I have been enjoying those cookies thanks again for sending them but I have to workout harder now to shed some pounds!!
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Glad you are enjoying the cookies. I know what you mean. Every year it's the same thing ... Girl Scout cookies come right after the holidays.

I'm pretty sure Nick is going to Daytona for a motocross event on Friday or Saturday. When is the rugby tournament?

Hi, AuntLore, It's really great that Nick is going to Daytona. We saw him at Atlanta SX, but didn't get a chance to talk with him. He looked great! I'm happy he is doing so well.

I'll be in Daytona as well heading over tommorrow. We are having some games sunday of lake worth road at the community college
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Quote Originally Posted by mom277
    Hi, AuntLore, It's really great that Nick is going to Daytona. We saw him at Atlanta SX, but didn't get a chance to talk with him. He looked great! I'm happy he is doing so well.
    Thank you. It really amazes me at how well he's doing. I think being able to go to mx events helps him. How did you know it was him in Atlanta?

Lore

Quote Originally Posted by MotoRacer598
    I'll be in Daytona as well heading over tommorrow. We are having some games sunday of lake worth road at the community college
    You should definitely give them a call to let them know about the rugby on Sunday. I'll mention it to them, too. I don't know if they'll want to drive up because they will have been away for several days, but you never know.

Enjoy Daytona!

Lore

Quote Originally Posted by AuntLore
    Thank you. It really amazes me at how well he's doing. I think being able to go to mx events helps him. How did you know it was him in Atlanta?

Lore
    How did I know it was him It's like you said, 'he's a celebrity!'

It's funny, too, the group of tweenage girls we had along can always pick out the really cute motocrossers.

Quote Originally Posted by mom277
    How did I know it was him It's like you said, 'he's a celebrity!'

It's funny, too, the group of tweenage girls we had along can always pick out the really cute motocrossers.
    You are too funny! People even ask for his autograph. I have a plaque with a photo of him on a bike at Seminole. I'm thinking I'll have him autograph it this weekend!

It's hard to explain, but with all the good experiences and people that Nick, and we all, have met or had since the injury, it is hard to imagine not being on this path with him. And the more time passes, I realize this truly is the path that we are on, we can't go back and we must make the best of it. Nick seems to have figured this out much sooner than me.

Lore