Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 19 Year Old Nephew C6 C7 Complete

Great! Keep me posted.

Lore

I am c6/7 complete for 1 1/2 yrs. If you have more questions, let me know how I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by ikeraider8
    I am c6/7 complete for 1 1/2 yrs. If you have more questions, let me know how I can help.
    Thank you. I'm sorry that you are injuried, but I appreciate your help. How were you injured?

I do have a couple of questions specifically for someone with the same injury as Nick.

Are you able to use your hands? If so, was that the case from the beginning or did you do therapy to regain the use. That is Nick's goal, to use his fingers. I realize every SCI is unique, but I would think that the location of the injury, and completeness of it, would mean the experiences should be similar.

Do you have physical therapy equipment (bike?) at home?

Thank you again for your willingness to help someone else when I'm sure you have enough on your plate.

Lore

I was injured in a single car, rollover accident.

I can't use my hands like you do but, I can manipulate my wrist to make a pinch between my thumb and index finger. I can also do the same thing to hold a bottle or can. I am considering having tendon transfer surgery on my dominate hand to improve my grasp.

I just ordered an Uppertone which is a universal gym designed specifically for Quads and Paras. I am also considering a standing frame with the arm and leg motion option. I am also going to buy a mat table like they use in therapy so I can continue exercises I did in therapy.

Lore,
    I am sorry to hear of your nephews accident. My husband was in a motorcycle accident on his way to work in Oct. He came home from rehab in Dec. He is a T-7 complete injury and very motivated just like you nephew. I am glad to hear that Nick is doing better.

As I read through your post, it caught my eye that you lived in Titusville. I was born there in 1971 and grew up there. I now live in Cocoa with my husband and 2 children. I just wanted to let you know that I have heard of Pat Landry and will ask around to see if he is still in this area.

We have been dealing with Brain and Spinal Program to get my husband's equipment and it is taking forever. I feel the same way you sister does that we don't want to wait for the state. My brother played Santa and bought him his EasyStand Glider for Christmas. It was $5000 dollars. The rep lives hear in Rockledge and delivered it on Christmas Eve. We are still waiting on the shower chair. We are requesting one that is like a regular manual wheelchair but rolls over the toilet and into the shower. All my husband wants to do is have some water ran over top of him. He is even willing to use the hose in the front yard if it were a warm day. Ha ha!

Ron(my husband), had a broken wrist and thumb and wasn't able to work out until after Dec. 18 when his non-weight bearing status was released. As soon as that happened his friends from work came by and set up a generic bow flex and even built a platform for him to roll up on. He works his upper body out everyday. That and the stander was probably the best things we could've invested in. Now he can do his therapy at home where is more comfortable.

My husband's main goal is to walk again and is very motivated to do so, but it took us a while to get him to start setting smaller goals. I am glad that Nick is starting small in moving his fingers.

I wish your family the best of luck and we will keep Nick in our prayers.

Tonya

Quote Originally Posted by ikeraider8
    I was injured in a single car, rollover accident.

I can't use my hands like you do but, I can manipulate my wrist to make a pinch between my thumb and index finger. I can also do the same thing to hold a bottle or can. I am considering having tendon transfer surgery on my dominate hand to improve my grasp.

I just ordered an Uppertone which is a universal gym designed specifically for Quads and Paras. I am also considering a standing frame with the arm and leg motion option. I am also going to buy a mat table like they use in therapy so I can continue exercises I did in therapy.
    Nick can control his wrists, too. He sort of locks his thumb to use it. Sounds very similar to your injury.

That's great info on the surgery and the equipment. I heard that being in a standing frame is good -- did you do that while an inpatient, too? Being able to work out at home seems like the best idea, because the more convenient you can make the therapy the more you'll do it. Of course, outpatient therapy is a part of the picture also.

I'm going to print this entire thread when I visit Nick tomorrow and highlight the specific items you mentioned. We have so much to learn. I never even considered there was a universal gym designed for quads.

Thank you. I hope you have a great day.

Lore

Quote Originally Posted by Biker Mom
    Lore,
    I am sorry to hear of your nephews accident. My husband was in a motorcycle accident on his way to work in Oct. He came home from rehab in Dec. He is a T-7 complete injury and very motivated just like you nephew. I am glad to hear that Nick is doing better.

As I read through your post, it caught my eye that you lived in Titusville. I was born there in 1971 and grew up there. I now live in Cocoa with my husband and 2 children. I just wanted to let you know that I have heard of Pat Landry and will ask around to see if he is still in this area.

We have been dealing with Brain and Spinal Program to get my husband's equipment and it is taking forever. I feel the same way you sister does that we don't want to wait for the state. My brother played Santa and bought him his EasyStand Glider for Christmas. It was $5000 dollars. The rep lives hear in Rockledge and delivered it on Christmas Eve. We are still waiting on the shower chair. We are requesting one that is like a regular manual wheelchair but rolls over the toilet and into the shower. All my husband wants to do is have some water ran over top of him. He is even willing to use the hose in the front yard if it were a warm day. Ha ha!

Ron(my husband), had a broken wrist and thumb and wasn't able to work out until after Dec. 18 when his non-weight bearing status was released. As soon as that happened his friends from work came by and set up a generic bow flex and even built a platform for him to roll up on. He works his upper body out everyday. That and the stander was probably the best things we could've invested in. Now he can do his therapy at home where is more comfortable.

My husband's main goal is to walk again and is very motivated to do so, but it took us a while to get him to start setting smaller goals. I am glad that Nick is starting small in moving his fingers.

I wish your family the best of luck and we will keep Nick in our prayers.

Tonya
    Tonya,

I can't believe someone else is from Titusville! And my sister was born in Rockledge. I'm a good bit older than you. I graduated from high school in 1973. Pat Landry was in the class ahead of me. He was injured at an away football game when I was in 10th grade, back when the helmets were higher up on the back of the head. Being at that game was one of those experiences that you never forget. The following year, my family moved to Orlando where I graduated from high school. On a visit home from college a girl I graduated with in Orlando flipped her VW and broke her neck. Coincidentally, she met Pat while in the hospital (he was having some follow up surgery). I heard at my 20th HS reunion that he was working as a coach at Astronaut HS. Since then, I've really lost track. If you do hear that he's in the area, I'd love to talk to him again.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's injury. It sounds like family and friends have done for him what they are doing for Nick ... anything they can to help. People have been wonderful. The shower chair sounds excellent. There's nothing like a hot shower, but a hose in the yard, once the weather warms up, might do until the chair arrives.

Take care.

Lore

I did the standing frame a couple of times in inpatient but I got dizzy pretty fast. Now I never get dizzy, no matter how long I go.

Lore,

I got my schedule for my tourney I wont be able to make it to jackson the only day I would have time would be friday but the traffic to make it back to W.P for a 5:30 game will kill me. I will be in Ft. Lauderdale 27-28 i'm thinking the 28th I will stop in if thats fine with him. Maybe even have some thin mints! Did nick get the chance to watch this weekends races on TV?

Tonya,

We went to a medical supply place by us to buy my showerchair till brain and spinal bought the one like a normal w/c I couldnt wait to have water ran on me again! I even had my bro carry me into my pool to have the feeling of water! I had my 1st shower in inpatient 30 days after my crash man was that the best feeling ever!!
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

I saw the races. Awesome to see live racing on TV. Stewart is really fast. I also saw Canadian Motocross sunday afternoon. Man, those are some close races, banging bars all over the place. Eventhough the speed is slower than US Motocross and TV production needs a lot of improvement, the spectacle is awesome and very fun to watch.

awg

Quote Originally Posted by MotoRacer598
    Lore,

I got my schedule for my tourney I wont be able to make it to jackson the only day I would have time would be friday but the traffic to make it back to W.P for a 5:30 game will kill me. I will be in Ft. Lauderdale 27-28 i'm thinking the 28th I will stop in if thats fine with him. Maybe even have some thin mints! Did nick get the chance to watch this weekends races on TV?

Tonya,

We went to a medical supply place by us to buy my showerchair till brain and spinal bought the one like a normal w/c I couldnt wait to have water ran on me again! I even had my bro carry me into my pool to have the feeling of water! I had my 1st shower in inpatient 30 days after my crash man was that the best feeling ever!!
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003