Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Windows Vista

I would be interested in hearing other views, but from what I have read in various magazines, it appears the general consensus is to give Vista two or three years to shake out the bugs before purchasing. In addition, I am having a problem seeing just what Microsoft has added to this system that makes it worth going through the grief of getting use to a new system. I am sure that over the next few years, software manufacturers will be taking advantage of it's additional capabilities as they design new products and then it might be worth buying it.
    mike

That's true of any software. Let others sort of iron out the bugs before implementing business critical applications/systems. The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality is appropriate in most cases. That said, it is the direction Microsoft is headed so if you're planning to upgrade or purchase a new system, you might as well go with Vista.
    Daniel

The "stuff" that makes Vista good, you'll never really notice. There's serious security features behind the scene added. One of the big changes is you ared no long admin by default, like *nix and Mac Os's. This will keep ALOT of pests from installing.

Like Dan said, 1st gen anything has it's bugs...

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    The "stuff" that makes Vista good, you'll never really notice. There's serious security features behind the scene added. One of the big changes is you ared no long admin by default, like *nix and Mac Os's. This will keep ALOT of pests from installing.

am I right in assuming that all the software I use with XP would need to be updated for Vista? it sounds like you need to buy office 2007 just to have word and excel. I wonder if Dragon will charge for a Vista version?

I was so glad to get rid of Windows ME. But, I think I'm going to hang on to XP for at least a year or two.

I use the new programs at work.

Vista

My proffesor has an early edition of it. She does not like it. They have changed a lot of stuff, and not for the better. Access and Excel are completly different and the menus are not at all like previous editions.

Here is a comprehensive list of all of the new features included in Windows Vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature..._Windows_Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb

i disagree. vista should be more stable. not that xp is not stable, but try xp with more than 1 3d program. vista will handle memory better and will almost never ever blue screen or freeze. and if you are a gamer or do movie style graphics, dx10 will blow out dx9. so if you're an average user;data crunching, e-mail, most internet surfing, etc...stay with xp. gamers, artist, musicians, new net, move to vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    am I right in assuming that all the software I use with XP would need to be updated for Vista? it sounds like you need to buy office 2007 just to have word and excel. I wonder if Dragon will charge for a Vista version?

I was so glad to get rid of Windows ME. But, I think I'm going to hang on to XP for at least a year or two.
    I don't know about others, but I have been using the same version of excel and Office since 2000. I think that Microsoft will design new versions of their present software to incorporate new features that will run better on Vista, but I doubt that the present versions of those programs won't work on Vista.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    i disagree. vista should be more stable. not that xp is not stable, but try xp with more than 1 3d program. vista will handle memory better and will almost never ever blue screen or freeze. and if you are a gamer or do movie style graphics, dx10 will blow out dx9. so if you're an average user;data crunching, e-mail, most internet surfing, etc...stay with xp. gamers, artist, musicians, new net, move to vista.

You can't disagree... cause we both basically said the same thing.

If anyone is bored... do a search for release opinions of XP... Things will scarely sound exactly alike.

It could be a great add-on to a Windows OS, to have say Vista "look" like 95, or XP. Kind of like Linux, where you can run Flux, or KDE or Gnome..