Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Use of the phrase "Confined to a wheelchair"

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Alright Daisy, what does "peeperific" mean?

Juke....pay attention- it's peeparific not peeperific. I am brushing up on my dictionary skills....

Peeparific (adjective) : Something that is cool beyond belief. An experience or thing that is hip or cool at a new level.
    http://www3.merriam-webster.com/open...word=p&last=60

Now about the Granny and cripple thing.....around here they really do refer to me as "cripple" but I figure it is just a "lil ol lady or man" thing and it doesnt bother me too much. However, "bug eyed retirees" who should know better than to stare and make it incredibly obvious like hitting their hubbies/wives and pointing.....well that is when I turn into a "raving lunatic". I am not nice and make it obvious. I am quite nice to old folks/kids who just come out and ask.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by WM
    But Special Veg? Don't tell me the effer has come over to the cleaner, saner and more humane side of life to become a vegetarian?---nope, can't be it....
    I'll try and answer... Ummm umm, those poke chops sure were tasty tonight.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    uuuhhhh huuummmm.......

A "poke" is a paper bag. Not the plastic kind but a real brown paper bag. My granny said so....fifteen years ago that is what she called it.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

It doesn't really bother me anymore. People can be ignorant about terms, but I figure that's their problem, not mine. I have had been told some weird things and they don't even contain the words "handicap," "cripple," or "confined." For example, a friend and I were talking the other day & he actually said to me "Since you can never work again...." I just looked at him & was kinda stunned. (If you knew this guy, it might not be so surprising but it made me feel weird that he didn't think I COULD work. ) I just kinda laughed and said "Yea dude, I go to school just for the fun of it!!"

Don't worry too much Ami. Eventually the dumb people in the world will have to own their ignorance.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

I don't like the "confined to a wheelchair" label, I prefer the enlightended and liberating term INVALID.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff

MEAT EATING EFFER!
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie
    Don't worry too much Ami. Eventually the dumb people in the world will have to own their ignorance.
    Stupidity is not the same as ignorance. The latter can be cured.

If someone uses offensive terminology, or even just a phrase that (generic) you don't feel comfortable with, then it is up to you to educate them. It's not that big a deal to just tell someone that "people with disabilities" is more accurate than "cripples".

C.

If I corrected everyone that used the word "cripple" I wouldn't get anything else done with my day. Since it doesn't bother me, I don't feel the need to correct them anyway. I guess I brush things off differently than other people.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

carrie, you got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie
    If I corrected everyone that used the word "cripple" I wouldn't get anything else done with my day.
    I recognize that you are using hyperbole, but I still think that your exaggeration is quite out of line with reality. It seems like all anyone around here notices is the worst that can be associated with disability. Hardly anyone talks about the great parking!

Since it doesn't bother me, I don't feel the need to correct them anyway. I guess I brush things off differently than other people.
    You said that being called a "cripple" didn't bother you, but you did mention an instance between you and a friend that indicated ignorance. My point was that ignorance can be cured, but that we are the ones who need to speak up when opportunities arise. I wasn't trying to tell you what you should be bothered with, but only that you can be part of the solution when something does actually concern you.

C.