Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breakthrough Pain, Please Help

Pain is pain and not fun....I wish there was a magic wand to make it all go away. I guess we have no choice but to live with it.....

That sounds like a horrible accident though. It must be nice having a hot tub...LOL I wish I had one....I would live in it...LOL

That is a long way to drive for a pool LOL.....Our fitness center just started accepting my Humana and I havent been brave enough to go yet. I did swim in the lake this summer but it may have been the warm weather that made my pain less. I am pretty much miserable now. I think my hip joints are just slowly wearing away.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

wow medic 1,its too bad our patients all had the luxery of being strapped in while we bounced around grabbing supplies all the time huh?delivering care with no seat belt on.it is scarey.i too was a medic/FF for almost fifteen years til my MRI revealed not only the herniated disc we knew was there because of symptoms,but a cavernoma that sat smack in the middle inside my c spine cord.after it had two bleeds,it needed to come out.it caused alot of damage to three spinal tracts and numerous other nerves and my SNS,which created its own little hell called RSD.

if you miss your job as much as i do,i really DO feel for ya.i haven't found anything else yet that gave me that same sense of satisfaction,except maybe trying to help people on various forums to deal with the same nightmares i am,and my son does.so sorry about your accident.Marcia

There is nothing that will ever compare to the feeling I had working in EMS. It was such a natural high when I would go on a run. It is a feeling that will never be matched. I lived and breathed EMS. If I was at the hospital working then I was working on the rigs. If I wasnting working on the rigs, I was volunteering on one. It was my life. At times I feel as though I have let my crew down by not returning to work, but it is not my choice.

Well just let me be the first to thank you for being a public servant....

My daughter has a good friend who just completed his EMS training and got certified. He has been on the job since late September in the town he grew up in which is a rural part of north Georgia. She got a call from him the other night ( he lives in Georgia about 30 minutes from us), he had just went to the scene of an accident and pulled his best friend from a burning car. The friend is in a burn unit in Augusta Georgia.

He shares this same passion as you. We spent most of the summer over there on the lake and that is where my daughter met him. She is very worried about him because this run was very personal for him. He and another were the first on scene as when he is not on duty as an EMS, he is a voluteer firefighter for the town. She spent lots of nights over the summer with him and a few others(including her cousin that introduced them who is soon to be a police officer for the same town) hanging out at the firestation. She would like to do that kind of job also but what Jeremy experienced is the reason I dont think she will choose that career. She has also been approached to join the fire department here.

I think it takes a compassionate brave person to do the job you and firesmurf chose to do....

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

If she likes it, is interested in it, she should do it. It is difficult to think that you will be pulling loved ones or friends from bad situations, but if you are not there then who is? I am trying to keep up my Paramedic credits so that I dont lose my lisc. but it is difficult right now with classes. I am hoping that after I am done with school I will be able to continue with ems and maybe do some teaching.

Firesmurf, when I had my accident I was sitting in the jump seat. When I came to, I was under it and the cot had come loose pining me under it. They still dont know how I ended up with the injury I got. One says that the lifepack hit me another says the ceiling hand rail hit my back. Yet another says it was because when I knew we were headed for the ditch I bent forward and grabbed the cot to keep the patient down. He said I bent forward and then just kept bending til the vertabre shattered.

She is leaning more toward forestry and law enforcement as a game warden. I don't care what she does as long as she is happy with her choice... So we will see where she ends up....LOL

I am glad you are still persuing it. I was in the nursing program before my accident so after the accident I went into medical records and coding. I am keeping up my certification too...just in case I can go back to work full time again.

I was thinking of keeping up my certs just so i could at least provide training at the FD, but it just wasn'r possible given all that i needed to do as far as ongoing surgeries and my sons medical problems.my hubby is still on the job though,and this is kind of a good and bad thing.every time that damn pager goes off,i STILL to this day get that same flippin adreniline rush.its hard to see him go out the door and me sitting there on my ass not being able to.

I would still eventually like to go back to doing training.i loved teaching,plus i got to teach AND test out my hubby(what a feeling of power).i used to help our CTO with teaching the new rookies first responder and do his three times a year EMT training classes.hopefully one day i will be able to get my pain under enough control where this would be possible again.it does suck tho to have to give all this up.i think this loss has been the biggest of all,or hit me the hardest.

hey daisy,i would just encourage whatever she wants to do.like medic said,the types of really "bad" calls don't happen that often or i don't think anyone with a real heart could ever stay in that line of work.the good stuff far outwieghs the bad.luckily now,they have programs set up for all EMS/fire and police personel to do CISDs and defusions.these really DO help tons with all the crappy stuff that you see and have to deal with.when i first joined the FD,they didn't havethis set up,the rates of depression and the divorce rates among the FFs who had been doing this way before i did was really astounding.i have sat thru many CISDS,which we would have anytime we had a particularly bad call or someones family on the FD was the patient and they died.we were like a huge family there and thats really what i miss the most.i am sure medic does too.I just miss that real difference i was able to make in someone elses life.but life does go on.Marcia

For sure, every time I pass a rig or here the scanner goes off I get that andrenaline high. I have been caught a few times in situations since my accident where I have had to respond because I am the only one around. It is very difficult to know what to do, but unable to do it. I do what I can when I can but afterwords I get almost distraught with frustration. I was teaching First Trauma Care before my accident, tried it once afterward, and I could not do a lot of the things required. It is very difficult to tube someone when you dont have the back strength. Even CPR is difficult and cant do it unless fred the head is up high. I could prob. do the book teaching, but as far as practical application goes, it would be really tough. Your right, this is the hardest thing that hurts the most. Training that made me feel like I actually made a difference, now makes me feel like a failure. The EMS family is great. I still have friends and contacts, but it just isnt the same.