Thread: hi, im new ;] + controlling spasms

Red face hi, im new ;] + controlling spasms

hey everyone

just a little intro.. *wave*

im new to these forums; i suffered a c5/c6 injury on june 18, 2006 from a diving incident. I spent 12 days in the hospital and 99 days at Kessler in West Orange before returning home early October. I'm 19 from Bergen County, NJ.

well, my question is this:

I've been fortunate to have some lower extremity return. Not much, not very functional.. but hopeful. I can move my toes and ankles of both feet (better on the left) and can extend at the knee on my left leg. I have some spasms, but lately i've noticed that I can cause/manipulate them.

For example, if my legs are uncomfortable in bed or on my wheelchair footplates, I can [with concentration] cause them to "spasm" into the position that I want.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is it a lucky break or could it mean something more?

Welcome, I sent you a personal message also, so make sure to check em.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Quote Originally Posted by special_k
    hey everyone

just a little intro.. *wave*

im new to these forums; i suffered a c5/c6 injury on june 18, 2006 from a diving incident. I spent 12 days in the hospital and 99 days at Kessler in West Orange before returning home early October. I'm 19 from Bergen County, NJ.

well, my question is this:

I've been fortunate to have some lower extremity return. Not much, not very functional.. but hopeful. I can move my toes and ankles of both feet (better on the left) and can extend at the knee on my left leg. I have some spasms, but lately i've noticed that I can cause/manipulate them.

For example, if my legs are uncomfortable in bed or on my wheelchair footplates, I can [with concentration] cause them to "spasm" into the position that I want.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is it a lucky break or could it mean something more?

Welcome to CC! You're a new injury, keep working hard. All that you mentioned could lead to great things!

Sounds like you are getting some good return. You need to keep working at moving everything.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Special_k, welcome to CareCure. These are good signs you describe. The way to know for sure is through intensive exercise and rehab .. strengthening those muscles that are moving and working to "wake up" those that aren't. Since you left Kessler, are you continuing to get rehab?

At six months post, I had no functional movement in my lower extermities, but with years of exercise and rehab, I have regained the ability to walk in the community. I rarely use a wheelchair (except at night when I have to pee, but that's another story). The best advice I can give you is to keep pushing for everything your body will give you .. and ask lots of questions to learn as much as you can about spinal cord injury.

I'm jealous. Good for you!!!