Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WEED????

WEED????

Yes i smoke weed!

What i wanna know is if smoking weed can do harm to someone with SCI???

I dont know if its harmfull but the few times i have smoked since my injury it took away my spasms and made me feel better overall.

I hope not cuz I'd probably be dead!

Quads I know that have been smoking 20 plus years
    are doing better then quads I know that take perscribed meds 20 yrs plus

I have smoked weed a few times since my accident. I never noticed whether it makes me spasm less but comsidering i didnt notice maybe my spasms were reduced. It didnt affect any AD which is the thing i was concerned about. The only problem i have is when im stoned it makes it a bit harder to realize when i need to cath but so far no problems have come from it. I think the only thing negative about smoking weed may be that just like smoking it may make you more susceptible to lung problems. But no one smokes as much weed in a day as a cigarrette smoker does so i feel that problem is reduced compared to the use of tobakkee. Even though weed supposedly has more carcinogenic chemicals than weed (which i dont belive) you wont smoke as much weed as tobacco so i see weed as much healthier than the tobacco.

Also if you fear it may affect your lungs you can always eat it. I have never done it (but plans to ) it supposedly gives you a more intense and longer lasting high.

I was a daily smoker of herb b4 my accident. I still smoke it on a daily basis...partly for recreation but mostly for the unblievable job it does taking away my leg spasms. I can be having crazy leg spasms (moslty clonus) and within SECONDS of taking 2 to 3 bong hits, my legs stop totally! Makes baclofen look like a joke almost. I don't smoke cigs tho. If your concerned about lung damage, I highly suggest using a water pipe (aka 'Bong') instead of a joint. The water acts as a filter of sorts which removes up to 75% of the 'tar' associated with smoking. My advise to someone who hasn't tried since their injury...take it slow at first until you know how your nervous system is going to react, every one is different and of couse, no two spinal cord injuries are exactly the same. For the first few months after my injury, smoking would make my BP bottom out if I took more than 2 tokes, but then again LOTS of things would make me bottom out back then, I wasn't neurologically stable until about 2 years post injury...for most it's only about 6 months. Needless to say I am a storng supporter for medical marajuana use. With these damn conservatives in govt that group weed with hard drugs...it's almost as rediculous as them grouping therapeutic (sp) stem cell cloning with reproductive cloning! But then again, THEY are not the ones stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives either...I could go on 4 ever.

Smoke your ass off man. If it gets me then so be it, the benefits far outweigh the risks. Most of my Drs willingly admit they see its benefits.
    Tim

PS: Good advice Ken, plus if you're a quad bongs are safer and easier. I've got a multi postion lighter, for candles, that works great. Just position the stem, push the trigger down, and enjoy.

I have central pain from syringomyelia, and have used "medical cannabis" twice daily for over a year now on the advice of my doctor. The reduction in my visceral pain has allowed me to regain 20% of my body weight. My quality of life has improved considerably and I no longer fear starving to death.

There are "harm reduction" methods of ingesting mmj. Consider a Vaporizer (cost $75 to $200), it combusts the herb at a lower temperature, and is thought to reduce carcinogens. Two other methods are cooking in butter or using alcohol-based tincture (a few drops under the tongue do the trick).

I agreed with everyone, smoking a joint has benefits, it has helped my son greatly.

Pam Baureis