Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how fast does colace get into your system?

how fast does colace get into your system?

does the colace, citrucel, senna, etc. absorb into your system the next day or does it take two days? I was just wondering for the bp.
    I do every other day. The first " stuff " that comes out is always hard and round and then it turns very soft, almost too soft. So I was wondering if I should cut back on the colace the night before or two nights before?

Colace, psyllium and Citrucel are not absorbed from your gut. They stay inside the intestine to do their job. Senna is absorbed some from the intestine, but works directly on the walls of the intestine, not from the blood stream.

Colace works by helping to prevent water from being absorbed from the stool by your body. Psyllium and Citrucel absorb water from your stool, swell, and cause increased rates of peristalsis in the intestine by stretch, which decreases transit time. Senna is an irritant stimulant that causes the intestine to also contract more (decreasing transit time).

Other than the senna, they are best taken routinely, since in SCI it is common to have a change from the normal 8-24 hour transit time to 72 hours or more. The longer the stool stays in your body, the more water is absorbed. The first stool you evacuate therefore has been in your intestine longer. Routine long-term use of senna or other stimulant laxatives is associated with megacolon development, so senna is best used only intermittently or when temporarily taking very constipating drugs such as opioids.

(KLD)

So Colace is ok to take long term, e.g. every day? I started chad on this a month or so ago and it helped quite a bit, although his transit time is really, really slow (3-4 days between usually, although this is very typical for him). If I do the Colace for him routinely this would be a big help, but I've always been confused which ones are not intended for long term use. Thanks!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I took Colace for 2 months 100 mg capsules twice a day and nothing happened so I does not work for some people .
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

i take about at least 700 mg of colace a day, 2 when i first get up , 2 more around three pm than 3 at night before bed, on weeks such at this when my oxy use is high i take about a 1000mg a day.
    cauda equina

Razzle, that is a very low dose. We don't even carry the 100 mg. capsules where I work. We use the 250 mg. size, and commonly give 1-4 capsules daily.

(KLD)

So did zillangel get an answer? I can't tell...

Is colace in the same category of senna and other stimulant laxatives that can give you magacolon? The active ingredient in Colace is docusate sodium...is that a stimulant laxative?

I take one or two 100mg at night to counteract constipating drugs. Sometimes I forget, and I really don't notice much difference...

thanks
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

sci nurse answered it, colace is ok to use regularly,
    "so senna is best used only intermittently or when temporarily taking very constipating drugs such as opioids."
    cauda equina

Colace (DSS) is a softner or wetting agent. It has no stimulant properties, and is not absorbed by the body. It can safely be used on a regular basis for years and years.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD. And I'm glad rdf was also confused because at I wasn't the only village idiot.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager