Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My computer is better than yours!!!

Haha...immediately thought of this....
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Sounds like you mean business ??lol..don't make me dust off the bank book (my misses will kill me..lol)..i guess i've had this one for 12 mths..there's always BIGGER & better to build..something that you can hear humming in the other room..& as you go past all your hairs stand on end..
    With lightning bolts arcing out of it along with an evil glow to it? I think right now is the big tech advance in computing before it slows down to the usual incremental stuff like before. Intel's C2D, NVidia's 8800's, nice time to upgrade I think.

I planned out a fancy Silverstone case, Seasonic power supply, 680i MB (OC the heck out of that C2D and stay quiet with the premium parts), but that was starting to get expensive. So right now the game will be use that crappy XPS case, replace the fans so they work with the Intel brand 965 MB (cheap at ~$120 in comparison to a $250 OC special), get a 6600 C2D (best bang for the buck, run it stock speeds), and keep it a budget build. The only thing that annoys me about this is the memory is apparetly finicky when doing this...so 2gb will run about $300 for the 'certified to work with no bsod's' variety. Also I wouldnt be able to run that memory at full FSB speed doing the budget route. But then I gotta remember that this will be running at 1920x1080, so do I need to really do all that OC'ing? And all this hinges on replacing that 720P HDTV it is on now (1280x720, yeah that 8800 will mow though anything even dragging that P4 boat anchor behind it), so until I get that new TV I think you are pretty safe from a bank book assault .

Do gamers mostly play alone in their darkened rooms alone with cold rotting pizza boxes piling up in the corner...?

or is there socialized gaming type thing, that's NOT an internet forum or some gamer convention?

Where do you gamers hang out? Best Buy? CompUSA?

Serious!

They're called LAN parties. There are two groups here
    one is a friend of mine--(3 day; 24-hr gaming) twice a year. I know he has people come from all over and plan for it. I think the furthest traveler was from SD.

Boog and his best friend host a LAN. It meets every 2-3 mos for a 24-hr LAN and has 1-2 doz people show up depending on the time of year. A lot of the players also play in foosball tournaments every Wed night during the winter months.

Edit: I think my specs are posted here in another thread somewhere. Boog's gamingcomputer is about 2 yrs old and is outdated. He's going to start his next build after the first of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    With lightning bolts arcing out of it along with an evil glow to it? I think right now is the big tech advance in computing before it slows down to the usual incremental stuff like before. Intel's C2D, NVidia's 8800's, nice time to upgrade I think.

I planned out a fancy Silverstone case, Seasonic power supply, 680i MB (OC the heck out of that C2D and stay quiet with the premium parts), but that was starting to get expensive. So right now the game will be use that crappy XPS case, replace the fans so they work with the Intel brand 965 MB (cheap at ~$120 in comparison to a $250 OC special), get a 6600 C2D (best bang for the buck, run it stock speeds), and keep it a budget build. The only thing that annoys me about this is the memory is apparetly finicky when doing this...so 2gb will run about $300 for the 'certified to work with no bsod's' variety. Also I wouldnt be able to run that memory at full FSB speed doing the budget route. But then I gotta remember that this will be running at 1920x1080, so do I need to really do all that OC'ing? And all this hinges on replacing that 720P HDTV it is on now (1280x720, yeah that 8800 will mow though anything even dragging that P4 boat anchor behind it), so until I get that new TV I think you are pretty safe from a bank book assault .
    Hi Andy,

Just a quick heads up. I remember wayyyy back, when I owned a Dell XPS-R_400 and upgraded it to an 800 that I spent quite a lot of time at the Dell Hardware Upgrade Forums. I remember them talking about how you couldn't put any motherboard other than a Dell proprietary board in a Dell case because the wiring to the front panel was different than other "normal" ATX cases. Only people with the special know-how and soldering skills could get the job done.

And the same may be true with the wiring for the PSU, I don't know.

Maybe things have changed since then but before you buy a non-Dell motherboard you might want to check in at the Forum Home > TechTalk > XPS Desktop > Upgrade Hardware forum and look around (no-sign up required) to see if anyone else is trying it these days.

I looked up to page 4 and didn't see anything about upgrading mobos in a Dell case but I'm sure someone has asked the question before or you can sign up yourself and ask the question. They (other Dell customers) were always very helpful to me especially when I wanted to upgrade the 423 PGA (pin grid array) processor in my Alienware to a 478 PGA, the guys there had an answer for me, PowerLeap adapter. Whoodda thunk?

An ATX case is cheap enough ($15) all the way up to a $250 Lian Li aluminum case on wheels.

My Alienware sounds like a vacuum cleaner when I turn it on. Those freakin' fans are loud. I should replace the CPU fan with a Thermaltake 120 or whatever but it's just my back-up computer now. I might suggest you go for water cooling, that's what I have now in my Thunderbox and it's a good 2/3s quieter and I haven't had any problems with it at all. I have the CPU and both 6800 Ultras hooked up to it (not the chipset fan but that's small and quiet) so I can't overclock the hell outta of it. An FX-55 runs at 2.6GHz but I can easily get it to run stable at 2.75GHz but I don't notice much difference in performance. Maybe when I upgrade to a FX-60 Dual Core (the limit for this 939 mobo) and a couple 8800s or whatever the flavor of the month is at the time I'll hook just the CPU up to the liquid cooling and see how far I can push it. Leave the loud fans on the video cards for awhile and see what I see. Or hear what I hear.

You can buy a Koolance ATX case with liquid cooling for $250. Not all parts like the cooling blocks come with it so look around.... and the higher-end liquid-cooled cases go all the way up to $700 or so.

Memory is finicky. I always replace or upgrade memory with my drinking motto... "Never mix, never worry". You'll want to check out the return policy whenever you buy memory, you don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't work with your system. I always bought online from "Crucial" except for with my Alienware. Crucial never carried RD-RAM or RAMBUS and that's what my old Intel D850GB mobo used. That's expensive memory but a thing of the past!

I just thought you might want to find out up front if you'll be able to upgrade a non-Dell motherboard into a Dell case.

I think 3DMark06 likes those dual core processors. Too bad my favorite combat flight sim (LO:MAC) won't take advantage of them. I could always do spread sheets as I'm trying to evade and out maneuver a supersonic AMRAM missile but that's probably not in the cards!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Do gamers mostly play alone in their darkened rooms alone with cold rotting pizza boxes piling up in the corner...?

or is there socialized gaming type thing, that's NOT an internet forum or some gamer convention?

Where do you gamers hang out? Best Buy? CompUSA?

Serious!
    If you combat flight sim Lock On: Modern Air Combat or its upgrade Flaming Cliffs 1.2A you go to HyperLobby. You can download the server/client software here: http://hyperfighter.sk/

Lots of simmers there use TeamSpeak software so you can talk to everybody simming or just to your side. Or to a particular wingman if you have one. Not everyone speaks English so it gets kinda funny, like the Tower of Babel.

Or you can waste time and type as in real time chat.

Most game producers like EA Sports and UBI have their own gaming forums. And you can fly, race or whatever game you have such as NASCAR Racing or Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf and play with others and compete. I only combat flight sim and golf a little bit online but it's fun. I used to race Indy, GTR and NASCAR cars but that got boring.... going round and round and round.........

I don't eat when I sim or play e-golf so there are no pizza boxes to pile up but getting drunk helps. My poor keyboard and "joystick".

Not as fun as motorcycling and fuckin' used to be but whatja gonna do?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Bob, thanks for bringing up that panel connector, it came up in my research of this idea, but apparently I totally forgot about it. On my XPS (Gen 4) this apparently is an issue. Looks like that reuse the case idea just got nixed for good, getting a little to involved. It would save some bucks though, $300 for a fancy silverstone case with nice quiet 120mm fans (I heard rumor that the Lian Li 120 mm fans were noisier), $150 for a quiet super effecient seasonic power supply, then the $750 for the cpu/board/memory. At these price levels might as well go with a nice OC-able chipset (add 150), get even better memory (add 100), then trade in that GTS for the GTX with EVGA's trade in program (and more money). Accck, where does the madness end? Of course that HDTV that could take advantage of this runs around $2500, add a couple hundred more for the stand for that...ok, time to enjoy my nice speedy P4 I got right now I guess, LOL. Interesting observation on the 3dmark liking multiple cores...I gotta look at published game benchmarks now to compare. I guess I'll stick with what I got for a while longer, I've got some things around the house that need money more than a not really necessary computer/tv upgrade. Fun to think about though!

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    That's the last time I'm inviting you over to check out my palacial estate.

Well Andy..i see a lot of thought has gone into your next project..just waiting for the grant from Mr Bush so you can go from stage 1 (Planning)..to stage 2 (the mad scientist in the basement) ?? lol ..

Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home