Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My computer is better than yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Explanations of computer gaming needs like this remind me of just about exactly why I stick to solitaire and centipede...with a little helicopter thrown in for variety.
    A little helicopter thrown in for variety? All of us Lock On: Modern Air Combat fans are waiting on the release of the latest add-on to LOMAC/Flaming Cliffs 1.2A. It'll feature the Russian Ka-50 or Black Shark. This should be the best combat chopper flight sim ever produced. It won't be be ready until February (that means April!) of next year. So get your computer upgraded because it's gonna need a lot of processing and graphics power. Or they need to redesign the graphics engine in the simulator so it's more efficient.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    Mine is a Dell XPS M140. I got it last November.

I got it to view my pictures and watch movies on when camping. I am not really into high tech gaming.

I like scrabble on the computer myself. I deleted the helicopter because it was like internet shopping= addicting!!!!
    I'd like to play Scrabble online but I just know that most people (or many, perhaps only some people) will cheat with a Scrabble dictionary next to them or use an online dictionary in another window. I can't think of a way that Scrabble can be played online without having people cheat. And we all know that there are people who cheat in every online game if it's possible. And some people are very computer savvy and can break even the toughest anti-cheating programs written. It's a shame but the truth.

I've seen it done while e-golfing and flying combat flight simulators online. They are usually caught after awhile and are "banned" from the website but just enter again after setting up another email account and user name. It defeats the whole purpose of the game but some people will do almost anything to win.

Chess is fun to play online.

So I just play Scrabble here at home every once in awhile on my regular turntable Scrabble board with family or a couple of friends who like to play. For $.25 a point of course!
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    I'd like to play Scrabble online but I just know that most people (or many, perhaps only some people) will cheat with a Scrabble dictionary next to them or use an online dictionary in another window. I can't think of a way that Scrabble can be played online without having people cheat. And we all know that there are people who cheat in every online game if it's possible. And some people are very computer savvy and can break even the toughest anti-cheating programs written. It's a shame but the truth.

I've seen it done while e-golfing and flying combat flight simulators online. They are usually caught after awhile and are "banned" from the website but just enter again after setting up another email account and user name. It defeats the whole purpose of the game but some people will do almost anything to win.

Chess is fun to play online.

So I just play Scrabble here at home every once in awhile on my regular turntable Scrabble board with family or a couple of friends who like to play. For $.25 a point of course!
    These observations point up a mentality that absolutely baffles me and always has. I have a love for chess and have even encountered it (only once) in this wholly cerebral game.

If someone cheats they have not "won" the competition they are cheating at as that would entail proceeding within the rules and guidelines of the game/competition they are engaged in. What (I'm forced to wonder) is going on in their minds that impells them to do something wrong and hidden so that it may appear that they have won? If there is $ involved, that changes the equation considerably, but there often is not.

While understanding the minds of such individuals is easier than understanding those of, say, serial killers or child molesters, it seems to me to be an exercise that moves one closer to comprehending the mentalities of those more extreamely disturbed individuals.

Steve
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    Mine is a Dell XPS M140. I got it last November.

I got it to view my pictures and watch movies on when camping. I am not really into high tech gaming.

I like scrabble on the computer myself. I deleted the helicopter because it was like internet shopping= addicting!!!!
    stop lying, you know you have an ENIAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    These observations point up a mentality that absolutely baffles me and always has. I have a love for chess and have even encountered it (only once) in this wholly cerebral game.

If someone cheats they have not "won" the competition they are cheating at as that would entail proceeding within the rules and guidelines of the game/competition they are engaged in. What (I'm forced to wonder) is going on in their minds that impells them to do something wrong and hidden so that it may appear that they have won? If there is $ involved, that changes the equation considerably, but there often is not.

While understanding the minds of such individuals is easier than understanding those of, say, serial killers or child molesters, it seems to me to be an exercise that moves one closer to comprehending the mentalities of those more extreamely disturbed individuals.

Steve
    Whatja gonna do? Some people belong to online leagues or teams that join "Ladders" to see who has the best league or team. So to make themselves, a member of a league or team appear as though they're pulling their weight or are the best on the team enabling them to climb the "Ladder" and win the series, will cheat to do so.

But some do it just because they can. It's baffling.

Considering that there are virus writers who get a thrill out of writing a malicious virus and spreading it around the world in minutes making people spend millions of man-hours fixing their computers and even losing invaluable and/or irreplaceable data, cheating at online or any game seems almost rational!

My brother will cheat at Scrabble. I need to get a digital camera so I can take a snapshot of the board and take the bag of pieces into the bathroom with me when I need to catheterize. Or set up a webcam above the table. It amazes me. And I usually don't play for any money with him although we're pretty close in ability. I play the board a bit better but he may have a slightly larger vocabulary than me. But I know a lot of those two letter tie-in words. ut, nu, li, ra, xi, etc. I hate those Scrabble dictionaries. I prefer a Webster's unabridged version.

I haven't played chess in awhile but there are quite a few free online chess forums to play at. Nothing to buy, just sign up and play. And no gaming computer or fast connection required. Maybe someday we can play a game or two. I'll have to look around and find where the games are at now but that's a simple Google away.

In my mind, if you cheat you're only cheating yourself. And I'd be bugged by knowing that I did such a thing. It's like owing people money. I don't owe anyone a cent but in the past whenever I borrowed money it would bug me until I paid off the debt. There are other people who either don't concern themselves with other people's needs, they lack empathy, only their own needs are important and it doesn't bother them at all to welch on a bet or renege on repaying a loan. An ex-millionaire "friend" of mine owes me $400 and I'm only on SSDI! He's in NC now hiding from the law.... he got into crack a bit too heavily and got busted etc. I have other examples too.

I hate to say it again, but I see it (usually only listen to it) on Judge Judy almost everyday. Pay whatja fuckin' owe. And 9 times outta 10 it's some deadbeat guy who owes his hardworking ex-girlfriend the money. He usually claims "it was a gift". Get a job and/or live within your means!

Bob.

I have scrabble just the board version on my computer. I havent tried playing online with others. I play the Marvin (the computer) in different levels of difficulty. In the highest level, I can't win even with a scrabble dictionary.....LOL

I used to like to play spades online but gave it up because most do cheat and have card counters and the like. I used to like to play spades with some friends too but we havent gotten together to play in a while.

Judge Judy is my idol. I want to be just like her when I grow old!!! LOL

DA---what is an ENIAC?

I used to like trivial persuit....but I was usually the one in persuit! LOL They have the 80's version now...I think I could at least participate fully in that version. We got the 80's version of name that tune and there wasnt but one tune I could name. Apparently they forgot to get the lisencing permission from American bands/singers because most of them I had never heard of. I was music crazy in high school in the eighties so it sucked that I bought that game for nothing...LOL
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Bob, funny how our latest greatest stuff is so-so in a year, eh? I'm kinda partial to the laptop world and my 'kill anything that moved' machine of last year is now a cowering weakling, LOL. The new generation of mobile adapted gpu's are about 1/3 faster . The desktop world, oh man, thats like 50% faster now compared to last year. Speaking of cooling, even after overclocking to 'desktop reference' speeds that my GPU is rated at, the thing still runs cool enough. I just gotta keep the dustbunnies out of the heatsink, with those it WILL get hot. I could flash it to maybe 450/1250 and get maybe 7800 or so in 3d05 and still live, but I dont game as much as I'd like to on this thing, so the added risk isnt really that attractive at this time. Maybe I'll drop another 2K on a box with the Nvidia 7950 that will make this thing look silly without breaking a sweat, LOL.

Speaking of Dell, be it as it may that they are the bargain basement generic computer source, they are also early adopters on the high end stuff too. On this thing (XPS M170), it was the first to have the 7800 GTX, the Clevo boxes (Sager and Alienware) took maybe 5 months before they got this GPU in theirs. Everyone else is dead slow, more geared to the Best Buy crowd. You cant beat the big discounting and relatively cheap prices either with Dell (especially towards the end of the year).

In the end, I think I'll stick with laptops, I do have a monster box (back in its day, but this laptop stomps on it now) connected to my HDTV, but that TV is 1280x720 native, so even so the monster box is total overkill for the display. Maybe someday I'll get one of those 1080 Progressive DLP's and have something totally nutty to play games on, but right now it's not a priority (saves some money too not chasing technology, LOL)

Hey, I see youre running 6800's, I think right now you could move into the 7800 series for cheap, or maybe really go wild and go current tech! Check drivers too, amazing what changes they can make. I did some testing, the 9x.xx series are kinda sucky, I think right now the 84.63 is best, or at least it is on this machine. Good luck!

Andy, if you want a smoken dell laptop, get an Alienware... yup Dell owns them..

Back on topic my HP zv6000 Pav. Lappy, scored a killer 736 on 05. Thats even with an onboard but dedicated 128meg ATI 200M..

Bob - Many thanks for the explanation I can see why you need a machine that would turn NASA green!

Reading the other posts it strikes me that we should start a Care Cure Scrabble comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Andy, if you want a smoken dell laptop, get an Alienware... yup Dell owns them..

Back on topic my HP zv6000 Pav. Lappy, scored a killer 736 on 05. Thats even with an onboard but dedicated 128meg ATI 200M..
    Hi Paton,

A few years ago I bought an Alienware and would go to their "private" password protected website. And all you ever heard from the Alienware fanboyz was how bad Dells were. Dell was the official forum whipping boy or so it seemed. Before I bought my Alienware I owned a Dell (XPS_R400 upgraded to an 800) and never had a problem with it. I even gave it to my cousin in Hawaii and it's still kickin' today! And now Dell has bought out Alienware. I wonder what they're all saying about Dell now?!

I imagine some of them are calling Alienware's founder and CEO Nelson Gonzalez a traitor!

A couple years ago Dell got into the gaming computer market to compete with Alienware (and Voodoo and Falcon Northwest) with their special XPS gaming series of computers. Dell is so big that they have their own components specially designed for them... (proprietary hardware) at least some of them like their motherboards and video cards. And they cut some corners in cooling etc to keep the prices down so you can't overclock anything... they have their motherboards locked so they won't get a bunch of unnecessary tech calls and product returns from idiots trying to eke out a few extra cycles of processing power by overclocking and burning them out. I don't blame Dell for doing that.

I have no idea how they design their gaming computers now and what type of components they use. But they were the first to put 4 graphics cards in their gaming computers.... I think there's actually 2 dual GPU video cards in them. But the processor would probably bottleneck out before you could put any stress on 4 top-end video cards!

Quote Originally Posted by Paton
    Lappy, scored a killer 736 on 05.
    Wow, that would even be kinda slow using 3DMark 2006! But if it isn't used for intense gaming then that's probably all anyone needs anyway.

I was gonna get a Sony VAIO® laptop a few years ago. But laptops are always a year and usually 2 or 3 behind desktops as far as speed and gaming capabilities are. They are run on batteries and a new top-end video card runs at 12 volts and that's a lot of power and heat so you'd probably get a half hour of gaming time on one battery charge. And they have special energy efficient processors in them too... the "M" series if they use Intel. By the time I "configured" the VAIO the way I wanted it, it cost well over 5K. That was a lot back then compared to a comparable desktop. Laptops have come down a lot in price in the last couple of years. But I had it so loaded with all the fastest and biggest components and with the largest screen that I probably couldn't have picked the damn thing up anyway. An unportable portable.

Alienware started their own line of laptops and at their forums I heard lots of complaints about them. And you had to use their prorietary BIOS too and they sent out a lot of their laptops with badly written BIOS' and it took 'em months to get another one written that would work. Quite a disaster at the time for those who bought them.

Bob.