Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is wrong with me, or how do I get out of this rut?

what is wrong with me, or how do I get out of this rut?

I have stopped taking all narcotics, all antidepressants and only taking proamatine for my blood pressure and dicyclomine for the bowel spasms.

People keep trying to give me jobs and all I want to do is sleep. I have no energy, live off ensure and sleep. I really don't believe there is a chemical imbalance, quadriplegia just playing sucks. It has been like this since I quit my last job and I have done everything, the doctors, the shrinks the counselors etc.

What's next?

Cris,
    Didnt the anti depressants work for you. Why did you stop taking them. I can understand not wanting to take any kind of drug, the less the better. However, and I run the risk of getting slaughtered here because I am not SCI, my son is, but without the anti depressant my doctor INSISTED I go out, I think right now I would be sleeping and not eating and crying all day long. I am definitely not 100% and I will probably never be, but without the paxil, I dont think I could handle this. Maybe you could consider going back on your anti depressant. Have you ever considered talking to a counselor? Did you see any results from taking the anti depressant?

6 months of Paxil then added wellbutrin last year. I stopped them today, no help.

I see a counselor every 3 weeks.

Cris, I don't have any answers for you, so I'm no help. I'm guessing it's a combination of many things. My husband and I have been trying to figure out for a long time now, just why he feels so bad, just what his personal combination is. Like you, lots of doctors, meds, changing routine, etc., but he still feels awful. Just mainly replied because I wanted you to know I care and I'll be thinking of you. Carol

Chris, When you say "the doctors" do you mean MDs for a physical? I mean a full physical not a SCI one. You're entering our lovely age when diabetes type 2 show up, hormones fall off, cancers show up... If you have never done a full family health history this is the time. Go back and as far out as you can on illnesses, deaths, etc. Then make an appointment with an internist and bring it with you. Make him/her understand that you may need tests others don't because you lack feeling. Like a CT from head to toes, maybe an ultrasound of, well, testicles, get a PSA too. Get as much of a heart function run down as you can with blood, maybe an MRA too. If antidepressants and shrinks don't help and you are 20 years post it may be truly physical or, surprise!, you may need a shrink to discuss a midlife crisis? In other words, kick the SCI out of the equation and look at everything else.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Hey Cris,

The one thing that jumped out at me from your post was the "...live of ensure..." line.

It's meant to sustain someone who cannot eat and provide the body with basic caloric and nutritional needs. It's not something you'll thrive on.

A well balanced diet would serve you well. I know you may not have much of an appetite in this frame of mind - but try to force yourself to eat. Give it a shot bro... In a month you will feel higher energy levels and better I'm sure.

That's the physical... The mental is not so easy... quadriplegia is not easy.

What do you think? Do you think REAL food would help you feel better physically? I do. It would be an interesting experiment.

GET ON A GOOD WORKOUT ROUTINE, AT LEAST 30 PER DAY CARTDIO, DOES WONDERS

Cris, I'm with Cowboy Crip - if you're able to eat, then trying to sustain yourself on Ensure alone is going to sap your strength, wack out your brain enzymes, and may even be causing depression. Get on a good, high-protein, low fat, low carb diet; start out slow - if you haven't been eating anything, begin maybe with chicken, eggs for protein, lots of veggies, and a little starch. You've essentially been starving your body and your brain.

Cris - There have been some very good suggestions in several of these posts. I would like to highlight a couple.

1) Have a complete physical evaluation. Do you have a good internist, who appreciates your SCI, but can really search for why you feel as you do? In addition to some on the conditions that Sue mentioned, I would add a thorough eval of your thyroid, a complete blood count (are you anemic), liver studies. I have an acquaintance who is 40+ years post quadriplegia for whom it took over a year and many doctors to finally discover he had a very rare form of hypothroidism. He had lost a lot of weight, very tired, etc. So be persistent in getting a thorough and extensive evaluation.

2) Nutrition - for a person with SCI, nutritional health is so important. Do you drink 'ensure' because you have no appetite or is it easier? Have you tried 6 small meals a day, rather than 3 full meals? For helpful information on nutrition: UAB - nutrition Hope this helps. CRF

Cris!
    How goes the battle?
    Wonder how you are/update.
    Best regards.