Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feel horrible - health advice wanted please

Feel horrible - health advice wanted please

I'm not sure if this is a bad cold or what. I've been sick for the past few days and haven't been able to choke anything down. I called my doc and she wrote me a perscription for Promethazine. I took one pill at about 8pm and was able to eat a small amount of rice. Then I went to bed, and about 6 hours later, I woke up drenched in sweat, and feeling sick to my stomach (although I didn't throw up). I took my temp and it was normal. Now I don't want to take it again, but if I don't, I probably won't be able to eat anything at all.

I've also noticed that since yesterday, my abnomen has been really tight and I'm wondering what that's all about.

I have an appointment late today with my doctor, but I wanted to get some thoughts from people who know more about SCI than my doctor does. Thanks.

Alive for 33 years
    T4/5 complete for 25 years
    Mom for 6 years

Shannon, I'd suggest an xray of your belly. It's easy, cheap and can rule out an impaction which can cause all your symptoms. Oh, and maybe a pregnancy test??

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

My advice... don't let your doctor dismiss anything.

We might be paralyzed but we know when our bodies are in pain. When I had my gallbladder removed because of gallstones creating havoc in my stomach (including pancreatitis) I had little to no symptoms that something was wrong other than the pain in my stomach and just below my chest. I have a C5 complete injury.

-Lewis

shannon - I don't know if you will see this message before you go to the doctor however, be sure that you tell her about the response following the medication. You should be checked for bowel obstruction, appendicitis, pneumonia, gall stones, ulcers. Insist that they examine you very thoroughly. Let us know how you are. CRF

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton:

Shannon, I'd suggest an xray of your belly. It's easy, cheap and can rule out an impaction which can cause all your symptoms. Oh, and maybe a pregnancy test??

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
    i wasn't thinking pregnancy, but menopause or peri-menopause.
    sci'd women sometimes go thru "the change" earlier in life than a/b women.
    maybe the spinal nurses here on this msg brd can give more info on that?
    hope you feel better soon.

SHANNON, I have been sick for 2 1/2 weeks I finally feel wonderful for last 3days. So I know how you feel I had at different times in this time period constipation, BAD uti, & finally gas. We finally got it taken care of. MAKE YOUR DR. LISTEN TO YOU.

Niese

Shannon,
    How are you doing girl?
    Been checking to see if you had gotten any
    relief or news at least to what is going on
    here.

Hugs.

<"();:::::::::::::::;~

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've pretty much just been in bed the past few days.

The doc said that I have pneumonia. She wasn't sure about my belly, but it is still tight. There were bowel sounds and since my temp was normal, probably nothing to worry about. I think it's just because I haven't been on my normal bowel routine.

I know for sure I'm not pregnant. I figure if it was something serious, like appendix, I would have a high fever, which I don't. I think I've just go to beat the stupid pneumonia thing and get my bowel routine back to normal and I'll be okay.

I haven't had to take any more Promethazine. Although I don't have much of an appetite, I'm able to get things down and keep them down.

She put me on 400 mg of Tequin. I'm worried about what it will do to my bowels.

Whew, I really gotta get back to bed...

Alive for 33 years
    T4/5 complete for 25 years
    Mom for 6 years

Shannon - It is good to hear from you; I am so sorry that you have been diagnosed with pneumonia. You will be tired until this begins to clear, so don't push yourself until you are feeling much better. Your body needs as much energy as possible for healing and recovery.

A word about the Tequin - its adverse effects include a variety of GI symptoms and occasionally vaginitis. It will be important that you take the full course of this med, so be sure to contact your doctor immediately if you begin to have serious side effects. It is also important that you take each dose with a full 8 oz of water, drink several glasses of water between meals and not take this med within 4 hours of an antacid as this will reduce/destroy Tequin's effectiveness.

Keep getting stronger and feel better soon. CRF

Shannon, I hope you are feeling better soon!!