Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Embryonic versus Adult Stem Cells and other spinal cord injury therapies

Dr Young, who are the supporters in Congress for stem cell research and therapy? We should investigate what they are proposing and we should push others to do the same. We should all encourage those with the willingness and understanding what this means to us and others. As I said the other day, I heard a frivilous comment from Joe Scarboro on stem cells. I e-mailed him with my thoughts, but got no reply. I would also suggest the funding needed for follow thru be substaiated with facts of current research and hopefully upcoming human trials.

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    Dr Young, who are the supporters in Congress for stem cell research and therapy? We should investigate what they are proposing and we should push others to do the same. We should all encourage those with the willingness and understanding what this means to us and others. As I said the other day, I heard a frivilous comment from Joe Scarboro on stem cells. I e-mailed him with my thoughts, but got no reply. I would also suggest the funding needed for follow thru be substaiated with facts of current research and hopefully upcoming human trials.
    You can find out who voted in Congress for SCREA (Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act), which was vetoed twice by President Bush. There is a lawyer with spinal cord injury by the name of Mark Neuhauser who is planning to write a letter to President Obama about repealing the Dickey Amendment.

The strongest supporter of both stem cells and spinal cord injury research in the Senate is Tom Harkin. He has a spinal-injured nephew and has supported the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act and the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act through thick and thin. He is also head of the Health and Human Services Budget/Appropriations Committee.

Some of our former strongest Democratic spinal cord injury supporters have now left the Senate. This includes Hilary Clinton and Ted Kennedy. Our best supporter in the House of Representatives is Jim Langvin, the only quadriplegic in Congress.

Wise.

Dr. Young, I am very thankful for you and your incredible knowledge of stem cells and spinal cord injury. Thanks for all that you do!
    Last edited by christo231; 11-22-2009 at 04:05 AM.

Thanks for that great information on the true supports Mr. Young.
    Cool signature to be inputted when I think of one.

So happy to find this sticky! The other day after talking expressing my excitement in all the new stem cell research opening up, an older nurse started to explain to another person in the room where stem cells come from. She explained they are taken from the spinal cord of aborted fetuses and went into detail. I stopped her and said there are many types of stem cells and that I hadn't heard of stem cell harvesting in the manner she was describing.

Two days later, after much research that has included reading posts at this site, I am SO READY to tackle this with anyone!

This thread has been very helpful in understanding the various types of stem cells, research developments, controversy and tips for advocacy. As I was reading the website of some politicians who support stem cell research I came across a site "On the Issues" and found that stem cell research was listed in the Abortion category. I also found this definition which states stem cells are taken from human fetuses...

Stem Cells’ are undifferentiated cells, which are useful in research for cloning and for treating many diseases. Stem cells are best taken from human fetuses; hence the pro-life opposition. Many pro-life advocates support fetal stem cell research because of the medical potential. In 2001, Pres. Bush announced that the federal policy would be to allow fetal stem cell research on existing stem cell lines but not on new ones.
    ‘Embryonic Stem Cells’ are stem cells derived from embryos, newborn's umbilical cords, etc. The 2008 election debate focuses entirely on embryonic stem cell research, because adult stem cell research (with source cells from non-embryonic sources) is no longer controversial.

Wise, I e-mailes Tom Harkin in an effort to see what is being accomplished. He is a strong supporter, as you have stated, for stem cell progression. I'm wondering if you think that an effort to get all of our voices to Harkin via e-mail to his site would be beneficial, or would a controversy start up that would stifle our cause. If you have any ideas where we can help, please let us know.

You are ther voice that we or amny of us have faith in. We will help in any manner that you propose.

Keeping on, I like your idea and will wait to hear Dr Youngs response

Dr young, the last couple of days has been a series of blubs on problems with some of the propsed treatments; except for yours. Can you give us your fix on these blubs?