Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Embryonic versus Adult Stem Cells and other spinal cord injury therapies

Quote Originally Posted by cypresss View Post
    Why is used the term embryonic stem cells, when is not the case? Maybe we(not me, the scientists) have to find a better word to define pre-embryonic state of cells, but something which will not contain the word embryonic in it.

I think that might be Blastocyst. (not 100% sure though)

Quote Originally Posted by topperf View Post
    I think that might be Blastocyst. (not 100% sure though)
    You are 100% right, but subconsciously ppl associate blastocyst with embryonic. Even in natural conditions, not all the blastocysts are becoming embryons. Same thing happen when is about the invitro fertilization.

I cannot find now the right English word to explain it properly(sorry, my fault). I'll give you an example. Is not off-topic, the same idea is somewhere at the end of the video(from the minute 2.30, but pls watch it all). Idea is to put proper words to the things.

Last edited by cypresss; 07-26-2009 at 08:41 AM.
    This signature left intentionally blank.

hi, i'm wit spinal cord injury (t12 paraplegic). i was planning to get adul stem cell threapy in german, what kind of research i need to do before i proceed?

Quote Originally Posted by that dude View Post
    hi, i'm wit spinal cord injury (t12 paraplegic). i was planning to get adul stem cell threapy in german, what kind of research i need to do before i proceed?
    That dude,

I presume that you are going to X-cell in Cologne, Germany. There is no evidence that the taking your own bone marrow and then reinfusing it or placing it intrathecally will do anything to improve function in people with chronic spinal cord injury (>1 year).

I know several people who have gone and have had no functional recovery. By the way, this does not mean that bone marrow cells are not beneficial to the spinal cord. It may be that they have the wrong type of cells, the cells are not being put into the right places, or the cells were put in too late.

I know that Alok Sharma in Bombay has been implanting bone marrow cells in patients with both acute and chronic spinal cord injury and he believes that his patients are showing significant improvement. I am not sure how what he is doing differs from that in Germany.

There have few published studies on the subject of bone marrow autografts to the spinal cord. In Inchon, Korea, a group has transplanted bone marrow stem cells into subacute (within 2 weeks after) spinal cord injury and reported improved sensory recovery, although the study was not controlled.

In Czechoslovakia, Sykova, et al. has transplanted cells into subacute spinal cord injury and found some beneficial effect when transplanted early but not late after spinal cord injury.

In my opinion, available evidence does not warrant paying for this therapy.

Wise.

Stem Cells and Bowel function

Doctor:

Are you familiar with any work being done with stem cells and anal sphincter tone? I find studies in rats but nothing yet with humans.

I am a guy with Spina Bifida.

Thanks,

Mike

Dr. Wise

Is there risk invovled in bone marrow stem cell implant or embryo stem cell implant? Can you also let me know what is the best spinal cord inury treatment there is out there?
    Last edited by that dude; 08-28-2009 at 03:49 PM.

that dude... I am sorry to report that no stemcell Treatments are available... At least no real ones... Only minimal return. I would wait for real clinical trials to start that show improvements
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

dr young can you please clarify... though the ESC are pluripotent each has highly unique HLA system, is it correct?

it looks like you recent work is focused on the radial glial transplants? are they autografts? are they the subject of your upcoming clinical trial? did the clinical trial infrastructure improved since 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by asoka View Post
    dr young can you please clarify... though the ESC are pluripotent each has highly unique HLA system, is it correct?

it looks like you recent work is focused on the radial glial transplants? are they autografts? are they the subject of your upcoming clinical trial? did the clinical trial infrastructure improved since 2006?
    Asoka,

ESC are pluripotent. Like all cells, they have genes for HLA expression. Some stem cells do not express HLA-antigens. However, the progeny of these stem cells (i.e. cells made by the stem cells) should express HLA when they become more differenitated.

The work on radial glial cells are mostly done by my colleague Martin Grumet and his colleagues. I have been working on umbilical cord blood cells. Most of our work with the cells have not yet been published. Most of my effort of the last four years has been to build the infrastructure for clinial trials in China and the United States.

Wise.