Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Embryonic versus Adult Stem Cells and other spinal cord injury therapies

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    It would make sense to have ESC "breakthroughs" in the lab be represented by the scientists involved. How feasible is it to have people like Douglas Kerr and Stephen Davies present their latest research findings to Congress? If you want to shoot down an elephant, you need to muster the best firepower you have available.
    Good thinking, more of this should be done. Likewise I was puzzled when I watched the Senate discussions here earlier; Geron was not mentioned at all from what I heard although both Brownback and Coburn was babbling all the time about this nose stuff from Portugal? I agree with you, it would have been nice to present sound research like you suggest here. How to do it is more the question?

Smile Your Parents were right by naming you "Wise"

Thank you kind sir!!!

Most Christian and other religious groups condemn ESC as being unethical and destroys human life. Of course you and I know that is NOT true!
    Maybe an explanation by you and others here can help me explain to many people that they are misinformed on this matter. There are so many educated and excellent writers here that I would greatly appreciate everyone's input.

"Either get busy living or get busy dying"

Shawshank Redemption

Znop
    Last edited by znop; 11-27-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    Thus, we know what is needed for the cure. It is difficult for me to comprehend why our Congress has failed to understand the above. It is not as if the problem has not been articulated before and told to Congress over and over again. Even after the debate has been won and public opinion polls indicate that majority of American voters strongly support embryonic stem cell research and I know of almost nobody who opposes adult stem cell research, Congress has failed to act on this matter. Perhaps the urgency of the situation has not yet dawned on our political leaders. Many senators and representatives of course "get it" and are pushing hard for stem cell research. What we have to do is make sure that stem cell research doesn't become a political football.

Dr. Young,

It would make sense to have ESC "breakthroughs" in the lab be represented by the scientists involved. How feasible is it to have people like Douglas Kerr and Stephen Davies present their latest research findings to Congress? If you want to shoot down an elephant, you need to muster the best firepower you have available.

In my opinion, these 2 gentlemen have proven, in the lab at least, that hESC's hold promise. Our generation has to fight to ensure the next generation will not have to suffer this abominable condition.
    Schmeky,

In general, while individuals can visit their representatives and senators, one doesn't invite oneself to speak to Congress. Congress has to hold hearings on the subject and they invite people to speak. Hearings on spinal cord injury is something that the spinal cord injury community can ask their representatives to do. Generally, the hearings have to be called by a committee chair (probably Health... or other). For example, the Chair of the Senate Health and Human Services Committee will probably be Tom Harkin. He can hold hearings. I am not sure who will be the Chair of the House Committee but I hope that Jim Langevin can try to do something about it. While the Republicans were in charge of Congress, I don't think that there was any interest in holding such hearings on spinal cord injury, in the same way that there was not much interest in holding hearings on stem cell research.

Wise.

wait a minute, as far as reality is concerned, there are no sci therapies, and I plan to start fundraising for end of care rights, not hocus pocus sci-fi!

Cool dr. young

any chance you could make this thread near the top of the list. I think this would alleviate you anwsering the same question over and over, just a thought

john
    chicago

OK. Wise.

dr. wise is there a list of clinics that give stem cell treatment? or where can i go to find the stem cell treatment clinics to check which ones would be best for my condition? thanks poobear7788@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by poobear View Post
    dr. wise is there a list of clinics that give stem cell treatment? or where can i go to find the stem cell treatment clinics to check which ones would be best for my condition? thanks poobear7788@aol.com

Hi poobear,

in the opinion of most on here you would be wasting your money on any current treatment.

save up, stay in shape, advocate, and raise money and awareness
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by poobear View Post
    Poobear,

It is premature for such a list. Since there is not yet any credible clinical trial evidence that any stem cell therapy is useful for spinal cord injury, most of the places that are charging money for stem cell therapies are making false claims of efficacy. Most of these clinics are overseas. At the present, I would not go to any of them.

There will be several places that are starting clinical trials of various stem cell therapies. Geron will be doing oligodendroglial precursors derived from human embryonic stem cells in California in patients with subacute spinal cord injury. The SCINetUSA will be starting trials in the coming year, to assess umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell transplants and lithium therapy of chronic spinal cord injury.

Wise.

Why is used the term embryonic stem cells, when is not the case? Maybe we(not me, the scientists) have to find a better word to define pre-embryonic state of cells, but something which will not contain the word embryonic in it.
    Last edited by cypresss; 07-26-2009 at 07:48 AM.
    This signature left intentionally blank.