Thread: Tips for quicker pulled neck muscle repair?

Tips for quicker pulled neck muscle repair?

Arrgh, yesterday my neck was really stiff, and this morning a muscle in it pulled itself when I was getting ready to head out for the day. I thought these sucked before SCI, now they really suck with having to transfer/push a chair. So, other than the usual waiting a week or so for this to go away, anyone have any tips on how to speed the healing of these things?

Maybe try some Alleve or other nonsteroidal to help with the muscle inflammation, along with some alternating warm/cold compresses. Even those of us not in chairs hate pulled neck muscles - I can imagine how you must feel! A nice gentle massage if you can get one, would help, too!

try some warm moist heat for about 15 mins 2x/day. there are nice moist heat pads that you warm up in the microwave, some even fitted into a special shape to fit the area.

rest the area by wearing a soft cervical collar when in the house, watching tv or sleeping (if it doesn't bother you). you'll be surprised how much your neck works just holding up your head, the collar gives the muscles a break.

use a special pillow for sleeping that provides firm, fitted support and keeps your neck in a neutral position. if not kept in a neutral position the muscles cannot relax and recover. the best material is called viscoelastic foam that responds to heat/pressure to conform to your shape.

gently stretch the neck muscles daily.

due to the fusions required, i always have lots of pain due to imbalance, arthritic changes, etc. i live the above advice, using the collar if i suffer an acute strain.

I would agree with the use of a NSAID (as long as you kidneys are OK and you don't have ulcers) and the use of a heating pad. Massage that is done correctly can be quite helpful, so I would recommend also seeing either a PT or OT who does massage or a well-trained massage therapist (check with a reputable massage school for a referral).

(KLD)

I mess up my neck 2-3x's a month.

Andy - Here is the link for the American Massage Therapy Association: http://www.amtamassage.org/

Prevention will be an important approach if you frequently have a stiff neck. I am assuming from your post that this is a problem. I would encourage you to get a referral for one or two PT/OT appointments. A PT/OT can help determine what is contributing to your stiff neck...sleeping position, not enough support in your chair, weak muscles, etc. Then, they can determine whether this is correctable either through some simple daily exercises when you first get up, change the type of pillow you use, add some appropriate support to your wheelchair, etc. CRF

Thanks for the tips guys. Today the pulled muscle is much better, a little stiff and hurts sometimes, looks like this one is healing quick. This is the first one in some 5 years, almost forgot how nasty these can be!