Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selective Reduction (triplets)

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    All that being said, he runs, walks, swallows, talks, plays travel baseball, is applying to top level private high schools, does well academically, is social, well adjusted and loving kid. Did we struggle, you bet. Would we turn back, no way. Do we wish we could have bypassed it all---hell yeah. I was a para when I found out I was expecting him. It was recommended I terminate as I was in the process of miscarrying. We decided to wait and see.

In the early days, my biggest heartache was knowing the struggles of living with a disability. We managed, set the tone, he followed our lead. He doesn't consider himself to have a disability nor would most who know him. It doesn't define him as a person nor does it hinder him much.
    Cheesecake....how blessed you are!!! No doubt, given the obstacles faced and beat....he will do great things.

Your story puts life in perspective for me. Thanks
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    It's you and your wife's decision
    Yes, it is their decision. I gather you missed an earlier post. I'll quote:

i would ask that no one hijack this thread and turn it into a moral or political tirade...this question concerns walkanotherday's wife and childrens lives and health...please think before you respond...
    C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Yes, it is their decision. I gather you missed an earlier post. I'll quote:

C.
    Feeling the urge to be a smartass...I see!!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

WalkanotherDay , I'm the father of Artin , Bartin and Fargo , who are 10 year old triplets . I know nothing about selective reduction . I'll try and give a facts from memory of what happened with them .

They were born by a caesarean section at 36 weeks . This was pretty much the norm for triplet births here . Caesarean section was pretty much the rule with most being done at 36 weeks , a few as late as 38 weeks if the pregnancy was going exceptionally well . The doctors told us that so long as the pregency could get through to 32 weeks they were confident of a good result with each week after improving the chances . My kids [2 boys and a girl] were just over 2 kgs [4.4 lbs] at birth with one boy and the girl being the same weight and their brother a little lighter . They spent a couple of days in humicribs on oxygen and then never looked back . Now the boy who was the lightest is the heaviest and the girl is the lightest , but they are all in the average size/weight for their age .

My then wife took her obstretician's advice and moved to Brisbane [our capital city] and lived with her parents during the last 3 months of her pregnancy . This was because of the isolation of where we lived . She had no problems during the pregnancy . We were lucky to have a very good obstretician whose speciality was multiple births .

WalkanotherDay , I hope this helps and wish you and your wife a good outcome . My 3 [mon]stars bring me a lot of joy in life and given some of the capers they get up to , the little buggers certainly never suffered any ill effects from being born triplets .
    Every day I wake up is a good one .

My daughter's softball team has two sets of triplets on it (one set conceived "naturally", the other through fertility treatments). Both sets are healthy and have no obvious disabilities (I have never asked). If you decide against selective reduction, just know that there ARE healthy triplets out there. If you decide to go for the selective reduction, just try not to second guess yourself. As long as you have an Obstetrician that you trust, things will be OK. Congratulations on the pregnancy and best of luck with whichever choice you both make.

WaD,
    All the advice seems well placed. I would just like to add this decision needs to be made with your wifes OB involved. Wise gave you some of the risks, but if your wife isn't having a problem pregnancy, that will play alot into your decision.
    I hope your wife's pregnancy goes smooth.

Mike

Of course, other matters also have to be thought about. Given that this is a high-risk pregnancy, can you afford three babies - not just financially but parental attention, help from others, your own abilities factored in?