Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zillions of Stanley photos (m)

Zillions of Stanley photos (m)

A huge album but fun to see him grow. He is doing pretty well, some growing pains for all of us, he is exhibiting some aggressive behavior but we're getting that under control. We have a FANTASTIC breeder, if anyone is seriously interested in a dog, please PM me for her contact information. I can't say enough great things about her and the support she has provided all through this, and through his whole life. All for free! (not the dog!! the support). Enjoy!

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1746148
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Ami!

Fantastic! I love your cats... I had a cat named Mad Max who looks just like the smaller one....Stanley is great...

Sieg

Ami, these are fantastic pics!
    Daniel

Wow...Look at chad's big smile. Looks like he has a new bed buddy....LOL

Ami I am so happy Stanley is working out for you. Looks like he is winning extended families hearts as well...

My cat never liked my dogs so it is great that they are getting along.

Keep the pictures coming...
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

He is adorable Ami. Are those your feet he is sleeping on page 3? ANd I don't know, but there are a couple of pic of Stan in hi "don't pet me I'm working" vest that don't look like he is working very hard!! LOL
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

LOL, yes, those are my feet! It was taken on his 2nd day home when he would NOT get more than 3 feet from me for any reason at all. I kept arranging him for a photo, walk away and he'd be on my toes before I could snap a photo! Thanks for looking everyone!

Poooooor, poor Stanely...

Unloved, unwanted,unneeded...

It's so sad...

Just curious about the aggression issues - what are they? What are you doing to 'handle' them?

Quote Originally Posted by marmalady
    Just curious about the aggression issues - what are they? What are you doing to 'handle' them?
    First, marm (((( hugs )))) for all you have been, and are, going through. Stay strong .... like we have a choice!!

About aggression - two things. First, he started trying to attack the older of my two cats. The breeder and trainer told us that Stanley needs to be at the bottom of the pecking order in the house, that he had to be submissive to us and the other animals. He was submissive to the cats until about 2 weeks ago when he started attacking Pinky, holding her down with his paws and nipping at her with his teeth. Second, he started jumping up on my son and nipping at him with his teeth, like grabbing his shirt and pulling, and sometimes actually biting him on the arm, rear end or legs. Not a hard bite, but a bite nonetheless.

We pulled out all the stops and our breeder actually talked to an animal pscyhologist at SeaWorld (to whom she had sold a dog in the past) and we talked to other trainer, our vet etc. We had him first checked out medically to make sure he wasn't sick and acting out for that reason. Then, when he got a clean bill of health, the trainers/psychologists gave us some techniques to quell the aggression. Mostly they involved me intervening, as he perceives me as numero uno top dog, so I essentially "attached" myself to the cat and my son until the dog saw that I considered my son and the cat as part of me, more or less. In less than 72 hours, the dog stopped his obnoxious behaviors and although he can harrass the cats now by running about and chasing, he does not pin the cat down and bite her. He also stops and does not jump on my son or bite anymore.

He's not perfect, but he is learning and he is so wonderful overall. He is already walking alongside Chad's chair in public and is a real lover. He rolls over and lets you pet his belly - the sign of a very submissive and trusting dog. I shower him 3-5x a week and he loves it! I"ll have to photograph him in the shower somehow, he looks so funnY!

Anyway, hope that answered your questions.

Hugs, Ami

Ami,

Have you read the book Cesar’s Way by Cesar Millan (a.k.a. The Dog Whisperer)? It is a very interesting read about dog psychology and gives you lots of insight on how to be the pack leader to your dog. We have 2 kids, 2 dogs and 1 cat. I really need to be the pack leader around here, or things go crazy. I can control the dogs pretty well, but this cat is another matter. Today the cat got into our son’s room while he was at school and knocked his fish bowl over. The cat then proceeded to mutilate the fish. My son found his pet Beta dead on his bedroom floor when he got home. We had about 45 minutes of crying over that one. Damn cat…..