Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinda odd.... maybe I'm just lazy... anyone else?

Question Kinda odd.... maybe I'm just lazy... anyone else?

I used to joke people who said to me "so you can't walk?" that "no, I can run like the wind, I'm just really fucking lazy."

Anyway, I'm C5 incomplete and I know I can wiggle toes, flex my legs muscles, and such a little if I concentrate....but its all just little movements....nothing functional and whats there outside of toes you can't see unless you really watch... so anyway I was watching a scary movie with friends and there was a part where something flashed up and everyone kinda "jumped back" in there seats from surprise.... the crazy thing was I did too.

I thought "oh, i musta spasmed" but then i thought about it and it wasn't because all of the muscle contractions below my injury level were even on both side, quick tensioning & immediate release, like a normal person and not prolonged spacticity...and all my muscles were relaxed and not spasming after the "jump back".... I felt my ass literally lift off the seat a bit. I've had this a couple other times in similar situations.... anyone else ever experience that?????????

Maybe I should hire someone to consistently scare me and I could time it to walk. LOL
    Last edited by RJC; 11-20-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Not me but have you ever tried gait training? You sound like a decent candidate for it.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

is that where they stand u up in a walker type thing where it "runs/walks" your legs?

RJC, have you done much pt? Ifso, did any of it involve leg movement?

You can walk...if you really want to. Or do you just not care?

I'm a complete injury. if I stare at my toes for 4 hours...I can wiggle one....a LITTLE.

you're right. if you don't walk, yeah you're lazy/

Quote Originally Posted by RJC
    I used to joke people who said to me "so you can't walk?" that "no, I can run like the wind, I'm just really fucking lazy."

Anyway, I'm C5 incomplete and I know I can wiggle toes, flex my legs muscles, and such a little if I concentrate....but its all just little movements....nothing functional and whats there outside of toes you can't see unless you really watch... so anyway I was watching a scary movie with friends and there was a part where something flashed up and everyone kinda "jumped back" in there seats from surprise.... the crazy thing was I did too.

I thought "oh, i musta spasmed" but then i thought about it and it wasn't because all of the muscle contractions below my injury level were even on both side, quick tensioning & immediate release, like a normal person and not prolonged spacticity...and all my muscles were relaxed and not spasming after the "jump back".... I felt my ass literally lift off the seat a bit. I've had this a couple other times in similar situations.... anyone else ever experience that?????????

Maybe I should hire someone to consistently scare me and I could time it to walk. LOL
    Maybe you could just have them scare you extra bad and maybe you will just jump up and run out of the room the next time....LOL just kidding.... Sounds like you need to be working those muscles if youre not already. If you dont work them you wont know if you can strengthen them enough to walk or not.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

You've got something there. Make the most of it!
    - Richard

I've had similar experiences ever since I was in rehab. One of the nurses came in my room when I wasn't expecting it and I felt my legs jump. However, my reaction has never been as pronounced as yours was, only small jumps and the feeling of movement not actual lifting of my ass. I can feel small movements of my thigh muscles if I really try but I can't move my toes either. I think gait training would be worth a try, you never know you might just end up walking and it definately wouldn't hurt.
    Kristi
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

My whole body also jerks if I get a fright. Not lifting off the chair or anything but definitely there. Weird.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

You might have some kind of ability to control spasms. This is how I started off. A lot of people have so much more ability than they think, they just don't know how to take advantage. I would say to try and see what else you can do.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org