Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you work?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    I have a special ed degree and believe me, working special ed with a disability is extremely difficult and not particuarly safe. Reveiew the specific job functions of most districts, you will find lifting, toileting, restraining, etc are "essential job functions" in special ed,especially profoundly handiapped.
    Agree here. I used to work with special ed preschoolers (My degree is in math ... go figure) and haven't returned to it since my accident specifically do to what cheesecake listed. Also, it just required too much floor time. They actually help my position for me, and were willing to make a lot of accomodations, but I felt if I went back to it, it wouldn;t be fair to the others in the classroom, the kids or myself.

Mom242

Just don;t want you to invest too much time into a career path that can be just as "inaccessible" as what you are worrying about now.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Work

Rybread, I was an Ford automotive technician also before my injury. I was injury Jan 1997 (T-6) when I was 25 years old and was out of work until Sept 98. I went to work at the Ford Tech Hotline in Detroit. I worked there for 5 years then moved back to NY and I'm now working at the Land Rover/Jaguar Hotline. All in a nutshell
    Oh Yeah, no dis check here.

hurt 2/24/06 T8/9
    was 20 years old MVA
    Was a apprentice to be a pipefitter for 3 months
    Yes I did eventually recieve a Monthly check, Double what most make, since I had a dieseased father and was disabled under the age of 21, Now I'm doing AutoCad work and will start estimating for a Plumbing/Pipefitting company
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

how long have you been paralyzed- 30 years
    how old were you when you became paralyzed- 16
    what level are you- T12-L1
    what did you do before your paralysis- Ranch hand, dishwasher, any field work that paid. School during the day.
    do you receive any kind of disability payment- Nope..

Spent 20 years with Xerox, retired. Took off 6 months then unfortunatly my wife got cancer. Now working for Pepsi Business Solutions Group doing IT work. Not that I'm the most technical person, but I got the job for the voice and customer relation skills.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

SCI for 7 years last month
    The day before my 25 th b-day.
    I worked for the US Coast Guard as a Helicopter Rescue Swimmer/ Diver
    No i dont work right now
    I volunteer w/ the DSUSA and Shriners Hospital
    I am a L-1,2 incomplete.
    For the past 7 years i really have only been working on rehab, going to the gym, and regianing function as well as going to school to learn about my lack of function.

Degree in Exercise Biology

Dont know what is next at the moment.

I hate staying at home, and i do it way too much.
    Last edited by hotelbuoy; 08-03-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danielgr
    Rybread, I was an Ford automotive technician also before my injury. I was injury Jan 1997 (T-6) when I was 25 years old and was out of work until Sept 98. I went to work at the Ford Tech Hotline in Detroit. I worked there for 5 years then moved back to NY and I'm now working at the Land Rover/Jaguar Hotline. All in a nutshell
    Oh Yeah, no dis check here.
    That's funny, I was a Ford mechanic too. I worked in trim/AC, but was trained bumper-to-bumper. What did you use to do?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread
    That's funny, I was a Ford mechanic too.
    It sounds like you don't plan on going back to work at Ford. Why not?

C.

No finger dexterity, I'm in Phoenix so the shop is usually 90° or more which is too much for me, and I'm not interested in living in Detroit. I'm starting school for CAD next semester when my sore heels up.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread
    No finger dexterity, I'm in Phoenix so the shop is usually 90° or more which is too much for me, and I'm not interested in living in Detroit. I'm starting school for CAD next semester when my sore heels up.
    Oh, OK, so in order to utilize CAD skills at Ford you'd need to move to Detroit? That's a bummer. When you were injured, how did your employer respond? Was there any talk of retraining or relocation?

C.

Another ex Ford employee here....I worked for Ford in Australia as an apprentice painter & decorator.
    My Dad was an engineer with Ford in Australia, London and Germany...my mum was a first aid nurse with Ford, and my sister did a very short stint as a press operator whilst waiting to join the Air Force.