Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you work?

I did work, but accepted a generous early retirement package in 2000, when the company moved away. Now I teach guitar at my home. That's actually more fun than work.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais

SCI constantly reminds me of death and how fragile and temporary life is. Oftentimes, I wonder why learn all these things only to inevitably die. Add to the extra effort SCI puts on oneself to do even the mundane, it all seems worthless at times.
    I agree with your point, Todd. A guy works hard all his life to get ahead and makes plans for the future and then one second of stupidity renders that "future" more or less null and void. The existentialists were right: Life is absurd.

So now I am just aiming at part time work from home and it has to be creative and personally satisfying or else I am not interested. And I have to be able to work my own hours, whenever, wherever. Most "normal" jobs these days are just on a contract basis without benefits anyway, unless you get a union job, which is hard to come by at my age. And job security and loyal longterm employer/emplyee relationships are a thing of the past anyway, so what the fuck. Where is the incentive. Screw the 9-5 routine. I won't have any more of that.

I have come to realize that the rest of my life is too short to keep wasting it on a wasteful consumerist lifestyle and to prostitute myself any longer to the "system".

I have "got the basics covered". My house is paid off, I have car (used) in the garage and a few investments here and there. (Not really as impressive as it sounds, really.) The only really expensive habit I still have is travelling. I hope to do a lot more of it before I "kick the bucket."
    Other than that I spend my days with with low budget pursuits such as catching up on a lot of reading, watching movie classics, spending too much time online and painting (paintings !) and involving myself in spinal cord injury and stem cell research advocacy or helping others.

The only incentive I still have to earn extra money is to save up for "special projects" such as trips to Europe or the Caribbean or wherever. (Or possibly car payments again. Yikes !!) Other than that, time and happiness and health are more important to me these days than more of the same old, same old (ie money).

In closing, I don't need work or a job to keep me busy. I can honestly say that I haven't had a moments boredom since my accident. I finally get to do all those things again that I haven't had time for all these years.
    Step up, stand up for:
    http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>

How long have you been paralyzed? 29 years

How old were you when you became paralyzed? 17

What level are you? C8/T1

What did you do before your paralysis? Went to high school, played sports and hung out with friends

Do you receive any kind of disability payment? No. I am a Management Consultant for a large consulting firm

Hi,
    I am a T5 complete, result of a motorcycle accident. I am 52 now, had the accident 2 years ago this month. I was in the hospital four and a half months with a few more complications.
    Prior to my accident I was the Chief Pilot for an aerial mapping company, flying turbine aircraft and a Lear jet. I am still working for the same company but now as the Director of Flight Operations.
    I do find it hard sometimes working with the pilots knowing that I cannot fly anymore. I even considered staying at home and finishing the two books I started to write a few years ago. But I knew I needed to get out of the house and to work.

How long have you been paralyzed? 36 yrs

How old were you when you became paralyzed? 13

What level are you? T4/5

What did you do before your paralysis? Kid stuff

Do you receive any kind of disability payment? No. I am a sysadmin/DBA for the SC State Ports Authority

How long have you been paralyzed? 14 yrs

How old were you when you became paralyzed? 11

What level are you? D12

What did you do before your paralysis? Active Girl

Do you receive any kind of disability payment? No. My case is still going for the claim.I am Business woman in the field of IT

How long have you been paralyzed? 15 yrs

How old were you when you became paralyzed? 17

What level are you? C5-6

What did you do before your paralysis? Student in HS

Do you receive any kind of disability payment? Nope...worked my way through college and have worked ever since as an engineering technologist
    C5-6 - 22 years

Incomplete, just shy of 3 years

How old were you when you became paralyzed? 29
    What level are you? C5-6, incomplete

What did you do before your paralysis? Student in college, working towards RN, once our dd started -K-, SAHM for 12 years

Do you receive any kind of disability payment? Nope

I am currently, not able to work or even go to school. Nursing, sadly, is no longer an option for me, never wanted to be anything but an RN, working with critical/cancer/severely injured. Eventually, I will be working on degree for special Ed/profoundly handicap.
    "I've got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Quote Originally Posted by mom242
    I am currently, not able to work or even go to school. Nursing, sadly, is no longer an option for me, never wanted to be anything but an RN, working with critical/cancer/severely injured. Eventually, I will be working on degree for special Ed/profoundly handicap.
    There is no reason you can't work as a nurse case manager or an intake cordinator for a hospital. You could even do case management in the workers compensation system. I have a special ed degree and believe me, working special ed with a disability is extremely difficult and not particuarly safe. Reveiew the specific job functions of most districts, you will find lifting, toileting, restraining, etc are "essential job functions" in special ed,especially profoundly handiapped.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

no , i live of the USA taxpayers , drink beer , fish all day , watch my fish eat in the pond. can't believe how big some are and i never catch those ones. drink beer and play poker all night. i love it. what i would of done when i retired.
    oh well