Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you work?

How long have you been paralyzed? 14 years

How old were you when you became paralyzed? 16

What level are you? C6/7

What did you do before your paralysis? annoying teenager like most

Do you receive any kind of disability payment? This month is probably the last SSI check I will recieve

I start my job tomorrow, I found job hunting in general hard but there are people I graduated with 2 months ago still unemployed and are searching just as hard as I did.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by Aly
    How long have you been paralyzed? 14 years

How old were you when you became paralyzed? 16

What level are you? C6/7

What did you do before your paralysis? annoying teenager like most

Do you receive any kind of disability payment? This month is probably the last SSI check I will recieve

I start my job tomorrow, I found job hunting in general hard but there are people I graduated with 2 months ago still unemployed and are searching just as hard as I did.
    aly are you complete or incomplete?
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Am presently unemployed but looking into working from home to supplement my disability pension. Am planning to take a bunch of computer courses (web design, internet marketing, programming etc in order to become more savvy at running my own homebased business.
    Step up, stand up for:
    http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>

It's been a long time since I started this thread so let me tell you what the plans are now and what's going on. I'm going through vocational rehab right now and plan on pursuing either an associate degree in CAD, or a bachelors in mechanical or automotive engineering. I've already got an Associates degree in automotive technologies, specifically on Fords, but it's all in vehicle repair (except for my English and communication classes) so it doesn't do me any good without use of my fingers(although I can still diagnose problems). I'm leaning more towards mechanical engineering because I truly enjoy figuring out how to make things better or figure out what's wrong with them, and I have all sorts of ideas for different things and quickly come up with ideas to solve problems, mostly mechanical, but that will take me four years to get versus the 1 1/2 years it would take to get my associates in CAD, although the starting salary for engineering is $20,000 a year more. I've taken a vocational evaluation to determine what I'd be best at and scored very high in mechanical, spatial, and mathematic ability which works well for either CAD or engineering. They suggested I get it direct placement job as a math tutor which I'll be happy to do after I get surgery to heal the sore on my sacrum. Meanwhile, I'm looking for something to do from home. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

How long have you been paralyzed? 17 3/4 years

How old were you when you became paralyzed? 20. I'm 37 now.

What level are you? C-6

What did you do before your paralysis? Full-time college student (Junior college/art then liberal arts), worked part-time washing FedEx trucks, and also worked part-time at The Flyer (weekly advertising mailer) working on the negatives, photographing the pages for print, doing some paste-up and design.

Do you receive any kind of disability payment? No. I did after my accident and while in college. I had worked enough in my teens to qualify for SSDI.

I went on the the University of South Florida I got two Bachelor's degrees: Fine Art (focus on drawing) and Art Education (teaching art to grades K-12) with the financial help of Vocational Rehab. I could have gotten a job teaching right after college (age 26)--was offered during my internship--but chose to pursue freelance art and design, and while doing that I did some substitute teaching and some dispatching (hated that) to make extra money. I was offered a job as a Web Designer (age 27) in New York and moved up there from Tampa. About 5 years later, I moved back to Florida for the warm weather, and I was freelancing in graphic design. I still work from home, freelancing as a graphic designer, and 99% of my work now is lettering comicbooks.

I don't know if any of that helps you, rybread, but you should definitely talk to Vocational Rehab there in Arizona, if you haven't already. They can help you train in CAD or another field, and can sometimes pay for computer equipment and software. It varies by state.

Insurance: When I started my web design job in New York, I was on Medicare, and I was able to get on the company's Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan with no questions asked. But that's not always the case. I kept Medicare going while working there. You can never have too much healthcare insurance.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 07-10-2007 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread
    It's been a long time since I started this thread so let me tell you what the plans are now and what's going on. I'm going through vocational rehab right now and plan on pursuing either an associate degree in CAD, or a bachelors in mechanical or automotive engineering. . . .
    You posted as I was typing. Good to here, dude! Good luck with it all!

i'm c4-5 . used to be a gymnast in my teens and early 20's and also a professional dancer and dance instructor ( flamenco [dance from spain] and ballet ) . have been paralyzed for 4 years and now a days i work as an agent for www.accessibleproperties.net and also volunteer .

hugs, lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

How long have you been paralyzed? 5.5 years
    How old were you when you became paralyzed? 45
    What level are you? T-5
    What did you do before your paralysis? Environmental Engineer
    Do you receive any kind of disability payment? Yes, SSDI and private income supplemental payment.

Went back to college, got my Master's as a Counselor/Therpaist, employment was easy to locate, recently promoted to a Program Director of a Mental Health facility.

Should be off SSDI in October of 07.

I'd love to have an occupation; but unless I'm paid well or feel I'm making a lasting impression on the world, there is little incentive for me to exert myself.

SCI constantly reminds me of death and how fragile and temporary life is. Oftentimes, I wonder why learn all these things only to inevitably die. Add to the extra effort SCI puts on oneself to do even the mundane, it all seems worthless at times.

Will never have a corrupt global warming job again, like driving a car to work, or flying each week producing a lot of greenhouse gases hurting our common societies, thus I stopped doing so, like most AB wannabies also should do. This because our environment is in distress, thus only the ones really needing a job should work. The rest should stay calm.