Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you work?

Nice thread rybread, I was just thinking of posting the same thing. I am 27 years old now. Had my SCI 8 years ago at the age of 19. I am a C5 complete. Before my SCI I had tones of jobs because I was working since age 12 when I started painting houses in and outside. I worked at as a paper boy also.
    Once I turned 16 and was able to work legally I worked at 2 stores 'all for $51" and "spencers" then i worked at jiffy lube for 1.5 years. I was a certified Lube Tech and completed over 10,000 vehicles fluid changes, oil, transmission, differential, final drives, transfer cases, and radiators, before the age of 18. At 18.5 years old I started installing and working for a HVAC company. Installing duck work n gas pipe in new houses. Ripping out old furnaces n installing new. Creating duck work... after doing that for 4 months and being denied a raise from $8.50 an hour I decided to change jobs. My next job and last before my SCI I was working at an auto body shop for 3 months. I was transportation driver, car prepper before paint, and also learning how to do body work n paint.

Then I had my motorcycle accident. 2 years after my SCI I went back to school. I didn’t have much interest in anything because I love working with my hands and now no longer was able to use them. I did the only other thing I thought I could and did before my SCI. I went to school for graphic design. After 2 years in 2002 I graduated. I worked at a company that made electric bikes and atvs during my internship for 7 months. The company then was closing slowly. They couldn’t keep 2 designers so they kept the guy that was there before me.

Since 2003 I have been looking 4 a job. I fill out applications, not only for graphic design, but also for customer service, and other positions. I never get call backs.
    I don’t know the problem. I do run my own freelance design company. www.ETdesigns.us & www.PicturteMusicVideos.com . I get small jobs here and there, but not enough and not steady. I also run the largest adaptive action sports website in the world, www.ExtremeChairing.com . its all none profit, really I make nothing, still waiting for those big sponsors. I am currently working on a project and starting a business that will give freedom to people with disabilities. Top secret but coming spring of 2008
    J2

28/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
    [url]
    www.J2RollsOn.com

Finding work post SCI is difficult. Before I had only been turned down for one job. I've been on about 15 interviews in the past year. Nothing but Walmart. I'm qualified educated outgoing wellspoken. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the chair Maybe it's the small town. Who knows.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

i hate sci... before sci great job, and now nothing, if im lucky i earn 20$ a day.. before test driver for mondial, now im repairing motorsaws all day long.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by rybread
    I'm just curious, how many of us work, how long have you been paralyzed, how old were you when you became paralyzed, what level are you, what did you do before your paralysis, what you do know or what do you plan on doing,is there anything holding you back from working and do you receive any kind of disability payment?
    I was on SSI and SSDI for a couple of years, but I went back to college about a year after my accident and starting working again about a year after that. I was injured 20 yrs ago and I'm currently a T7-8 para. I have only had two paying jobs in my life that weren't office work, although my long term goal was to become a horse trainer. I gave up that dream and have worked in various offices for the past 2 decades. I like working with computers and have done a lot of desktop publishing and design work. I have had some health issues in the past couple of years that have affected my ability to work full time, but an "able-bodied" person could go through that as well. Overall, I see no reason why a paraplegic cannot make a living for themselves just based on them being a para.

I myself do not work, I'm a C-5, I was just about to turn 23, I've been hurt six years, I was a Ford automotive technician before I got hurt doing interior trim and electronics but trained bumper-to-bumper, at this point I want to be an inventor and I feel that I need to take classes in CAD to put my inventions on paper
    So are you doing that? Are you taking classes?

the main thing holding me back from working is worrying about losing my insurance through my mother and I do receive a halfway decent disability check.
    You're almost 30 and are still covered by your mom's insurance? If you were not handicapped would you be OK with that? If you had a crappy job that you hated, but you had decent insurance, would you stick with it forever or would you take the plunge and strike out to find a job you loved that had good benefits?

It's never easy, but providing for yourself and contributing to the community is a goal worth striving for.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by J2Extreme
    its all none profit, really I make nothing, still waiting for those big sponsors.
    if no big sponsors, try adSense service from Google. I know some which are earning ~800$ for each site, but it's all about SEO work(Search Engine Optimization) not only webdesign and HTML.
    In this field many are saying that are earning much more, but i don't know them personally.

I'm T8 para, with a job in computer architecture and engineering. I've been doing this work for over a decade, but was only injured six months ago. I kept my laptop in the rehab hospital and started working again only two weeks post injury. I wasn't working full-time then but had to keep up with email and critical issues at work, probably 10-15 hours a week.

Now I'm working full time but mostly from home. I do need to start getting in to the office on a more regular basis, but I will probably still work from home 2-3 days a week for some time.

hi there

I'm c4-c5 in surgery report, Frankel B and I was 23 years old when my injury changed my life.

I was student in a computer engineer faculty. I don't move any finger and I'm not independent(i can't make transfer, from bed w/c )

now I'm 27 years old (4 years with injury) and I'm working as a software engineer in a computer vision company. I had also a part job as a webdeveloper (1 year).

I'm typing using some sticks.

I've read somewhere that a boy with c4/c5 injury from Australia it's playing on stock market. In my opinion it's very important to do what u like best and in our days, using a computer and a internet connection it's much more easy to work than 10-15 years ago. Somehow we are lucky.

I know that are some carer advisers (some psychologist with special questionnaires ) and they correlate your test results with job types. I don;t know which jobs are possible for quads.

I think is a good idea for cc ppl to start make a table with possible jobs/injury-type. Do you have/know any link about that?

PM if you think I can help u somehow. sorry my bad English.

PS: I think we all know Stephen Hawking
    Last edited by cypresss; 07-10-2007 at 12:03 PM.

inc c4/5 20 yrs post july 27th. been working since graduating from college. im a loan officer and stock broker. only had 2 jobs. i found it very easy to get employed.

whoever mentioned ins. going from moms to an employers group plan is easy. as long as no gap they cant hit u w/ prexisting. u pay the same as any other 30 yo male
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

How long have you been paralyzed? 6 years
    How old were you when you became paralyzed? 23
    What level are you? C5
    What did you do before your paralysis? undergrad student
    Do you receive any kind of disability payment? I did, but not after I got my job.

I went to grad school after I was injured. I'm now a full time instructor and working on my doctorate.

5 years post, para level. Worked at the phone company in a field position pre-injury. Then took a year off on short term disability. Went back to work doing an inside position I used to do in the same group at the phone company.