Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Do you work?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you work?

I'm just curious, how many of us work, how long have you been paralyzed, how old were you when you became paralyzed, what level are you, what did you do before your paralysis, what you do know or what do you plan on doing,is there anything holding you back from working and do you receive any kind of disability payment?

I myself do not work, I'm a C-5, I was just about to turn 23, I've been hurt six years, I was a Ford automotive technician before I got hurt doing interior trim and electronics but trained bumper-to-bumper, at this point I want to be an inventor and I feel that I need to take classes in CAD to put my inventions on paper and actually get a job while I'm getting my inventions together, the main thing holding me back from working is worrying about losing my insurance through my mother and I do receive a halfway decent disability check.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I'm not paralyzed , I use a cane or walker ,I used to be a die setter /trouble shooter in a plastic factory ,I got hurt may 10 , 1985 , so it's been 21 years since I was injury, a convayor fell on me , I've 7 back operations and a total of 23 operations since my injury , I went through a couple boughts of depression but a few peole here on this site helped me with that , now I am sending out my music from my computer library 1206 songs , it helps keep me active and my mind working on something instead of just hanging here feeling sorry for myself , there are many who are worse off than I am and I realize that now ,I do take a lot of medication 16 different ones a day , but I have to stay busy and this is how I'm doing it , send me a email if you want any music . ;LBUSH I'm 50 years old
    Last edited by LBUSH49; 11-20-2006 at 12:43 AM.

I work from the home doing direct sales.
    Daniel

I wanted to get this going again because I've been extremely bored lately and really broke.SSDI just isn't enough these days. I'm especially interested in anyone who's making money from home.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread
    I wanted to get this going again because I've been extremely bored lately and really broke.SSDI just isn't enough these days. I'm especially interested in anyone who's making money from home.
    Ry,

Since you're here in PHX, you can get info from ABIL on how to manage work and your benefits. You can find a the workshop schedule at abil.org or I suggest you contact Rhonda Webb at ABIL (phone# on theweb site) and sit down with her and discuss. Once you know how work will affect your benefits, go to VR for that CAD class and other assistance. You can PM me if you want more info
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Hey Rybread

I started to attempt to work from home. Some companies offer it in the profession I am in (Hospital biller/coder). I did however decide to get out of the house. I am a hermit anyway so working from home would have been too much. I did spend three years at home and recently went back to work this April.

To answer your previous questions:

how long have you been paralyzed- 18 years
    how old were you when you became paralyzed- 20
    what level are you- T12-L2
    what did you do before your paralysis- Certified Nursing Assistant working towards LPN
    do you receive any kind of disability payment- I still draw my SSDI as I am in my 9 month Trial work Period in addition to earning my salary.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do......

BTW...you can work and draw $900 a month and still get your disability.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/2007rbnews.htm

Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 07-09-2007 at 08:34 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

i am working hard to find a cure for sci.
    wish me luck...i dont need a pay check..cash only.lol
    joking guys..i wish i can have my life back..work,sex etc.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Oh, I forgot to answer:
    I'm a T-10 complete with a TON of post-injury setbacks (currently nursing another fracture and pressure sore). I'm 47 now, I was injured 2.5 years ago, I was 44.

I was a massage therapist and international spa consultant, (yes people paid me tons of money to fly all over the world, and wined and dined me while I created a fabulous spa for their company, the kind you see in Conde Naste, etc.) In my "spare time" I taught martial arts and helped my SO with his business. I also have a business background before I became a LMT.

Post injury, I started working 6 months post. Right now I work for the State teaching various State workers how to best serve PWD. I only work enough so that I do not disturb my SSDI benefits as they cover my minor child too. Once my child reaches age, I will work full time again.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Been hurt about 2.5 years now, time flys by! Pre-sci I wanted to be a Software Engineer, after my accident I kept at it, and now i'm a computer scientist which is equivlent to a software engineer but with more math/physics :P

Co-oping with IBM currently (8 months) , but I still 3 semesters left till I graduate! I try to walk full time, during work I have to use the wheelchair somtimes and to go out to eat some places make you hold your tray and what not, and that doesn't go to well with crutches.

I'm c7/c8 and T1 but luckly I was incomplete and regained 90% hand function on my right side, and enough on my left side to type almost as fast as I use to be able to type.

I took a year off to recover as much as possible then started going back to school, nothing was the same but nothing ever is with sci it seems!

Goodluck with your inventions!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

ab are diffr. we sci as well [level and asia score].
    i love women so i decided to open a busniess ...modeling ..what do you think guys?my mom said no .lol
    plenty chicks around .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."