Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopping Lyrica cold turkey

Stopping Lyrica cold turkey

I know it is not recommended but I am taking 75 mg of Lyrica twice daily. It is doing absolutely no good for the burning sensation. I really do not Want to increase the dosage.

Has anybody stopped or had any problems stopping Lyrica cold turkey? I hate taking medications anyway so I'm trying to get down to only the necessities. If it is not working I would assume to quit taking it has to increase it. Trying to get down to the ditropan, Coumadin and cranberry pills only with the occasional pain medication/anxiety when needed.

I was taking 600 MGs/day. Kept increasing the amount to help with the neuropathic pain, but didn't really notice any relief.

What helped tremendously is Effexor. So, I tapered down my intake of Lyrica to nothing after a period of 1 month (150MGs/week) and didn't notice any withdrawals or adverse affects.

I don't think that is one of the drugs you can stop cold turkey. Wean yourself off by taking one a day for a week. Then go to one every other day. Anyway, that's how I weaned down on neurontin. Check with your doctor to be sure.

I agree. Less drugs is better. Of all the things I miss due to SCI, I missed what the drugs did to my brain the most.

as much as you may not like taking the meds, it may be worth while to try to increase the dosage to see if it helps, if not than taper off. i hate to See people give up on a med before they reach a therapeutic dose. sometimes the med may have worked well at a higher dose, and the other meds that you may try may not work as well as lyrica.
    it there are no horrible side effects , lyrica may in fact work for you, however if you have intolerable side effects than you have to stop.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by cvelusc
    I was taking 600 MGs/day. Kept increasing the amount to help with the neuropathic pain, but didn't really notice any relief.

What helped tremendously is Effexor. So, I tapered down my intake of Lyrica to nothing after a period of 1 month (150MGs/week) and didn't notice any withdrawals or adverse affects.
    Isn't Effexor a drug for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? How does it help for neuropathic pain? This is news to me. Please, tell me more!

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy
    as much as you may not like taking the meds, it may be worth while to try to increase the dosage to see if it helps, if not than taper off. i hate to See people give up on a med before they reach a therapeutic dose. sometimes the med may have worked well at a higher dose, and the other meds that you may try may not work as well as lyrica.
    it there are no horrible side effects , lyrica may in fact work for you, however if you have intolerable side effects than you have to stop.
    Ditto. The two things I hate to see are people quitting before they get to a theraputic dosage or not giving a med long enough to take effect, which can be up to several weeks depending on the drug and situation. Otherwise a medication that could offer a person genuine benefit is discounted before it's given a legitimate chance.

Oh yeah, also sometimes just because a drug didn't work on it's own doesn't mean it won't offer some benefit if it's combined with something else. In hard cases it's like hunting for a needle in a haystack.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla
    Isn't Effexor a drug for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? How does it help for neuropathic pain? This is news to me. Please, tell me more!
    Rather than re-iterate, here's a couple posts about my experience with Effexor on the Apparelyzed Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla
    It's also an anti-depressant. The waaaayyyyy over-simplified way I explain it is that with mental disorders you want a medication that will calm the nerves in the brain and the rest of the CNS. That's the same basic goal with neuropathic pain, where pain signals are running amok. Same thing goes for anti-convulsives such as Neurontin.

It's miles away from an explaination you'd get from a pharmicist or doctor, but it makes it a little easier to get the point. With neuropathic pain you have to get creative since conventional painkillers often don't scratch the surface. It's a completely different mechanism of pain.

effexor is a anti depressant, i saw a clinical trial for effexor and neuropathic pain.
    the more drugs that work the better for everyone.
    neuropahic pain is very tough to manage, at low levels it may be manged with one medication, at high levels it may take three medications.
    i just started lyrica again, i stopped it last spring . my pain had diminished and i was able to stop taking it, the last 3 weeks my pain has gone through the roof.
    doing the same daily activities , where before 1 ultram would take care of the screwing sensation i get in my toes, 20 mg of oxycodone on top of a ult ram was barely touching it. i was having good nights 2 months ago where i would take 15mg of oxycodone and would get through the night fine.
    the last couple weeks i was taking 60 mg of oxycodone at night and still be in agony .
    i started lyrica 3 days a ago, at 150 a day and the pain has almost disappeared. tonight i am going to try and see if i can get by with 15 mg of oxycodone again. my main complaint about lyrica and neurontin was the way it affected my bowels and bladder.
    the pain was so brutal the last week , i will gladly take the lyrica to get relief.
    cauda equina

Thanks to all of you for the info! It certainly makes sense to me that a med for mental disorders would help manage neuro pain. I'll see my doctor in a few weeks and discuss this with her.