Thread: Green Tea

Green Tea

I am wanting to find out the health benefits of green tea. Does anybody know exactly how it is good for the body, especially in regards to an SCI body? Does it help with UTIs? Is it good for stress reduction?

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Amanda...

Green tea is very high in vitamin K...it has 712 mg per 3 1/2 oz serving...this is exceeded only by kale for vit K content.

Vitamin K increases the ability of blood to clot. (decreases the Prothombin Time).

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

It probably be best then if I did not drink it since I have to take a 325mg Interic aspirin everyday because of the hardware in my spine

Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Kap-Isn't that a bad thing for SCIs?

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Amanda...I don't know about decreasing clotting time for SCI's. I guess SCI-Nurse could weigh in on that. I have hepatitus C and am trying to get my clotting time down so I can begin treatment. That's what I drink it for.

Of course, anyone with a heart or other clotting problem, or at risk for DVT, would want to avoid it, I'm sure.

If you're looking for a stress-reliever, I recommend camomile tea. I drink it before bed for relaxation.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Amanda, Green tea contains a number of natural antioxidants (polyphenols). This is probably the main beneficial effect of green tea. To tell you the truth, lots of teas and coffee as well have such antioxidant activity.

Duge, I don't think that you need to worry about green tea affecting the 325 mg of enteric aspirin that you are taking. Green tea is not a true anticoagulant in the sense that it prevents *abnormal* clotting rather than stopping clotting altogether. Unless you really drink a lot of green tea (10 or more cups per day) or eat green tea concentrate in capsules (one capsule equals several cups), I doubt that green tea will interact deleteriously with aspirin.

In my opinion, the main reason that people should drink green tea is if they like to drink it. If what one wants is anticoagulants, it is far cheaper and more effective to take an anticoagulant or to take aspirin. If one wants vitamin K or other vitamins, you can get a lot more from taking a vitamin pill. If one wants antioxidants, there are better and cheaper sources of antioxidants.

Wise.

I'm confused...

Green tea is high in vitamin K, which aids blood clotting, yet it is an anti-coagulant???

If a person suffers from severe bleeding from hemorrhoids, should I avoid green tea (because of anti-coagulant properties) or drink more because of vitamin K which helps increase clotting time?

I'm confused too! I am wanting to replace my Cokes with a green tea I've found that I like. Is this not going to do me any good? I've been trying to wean myself for years, but I always seem to relapse.But, if cokes are better than the tea...then x-nay on that plan.I know, I know... h2o and crandberry juice. A girl's got to have some guilty pleasures though. So, green tea- good idea or bad idea?

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Amanda,

When it comes to coke vs. green tea... Green tea is the winner hands down. Coke is rot gut! High in sugar. High in empty calories. I believe sugary drinks also make a happier environment in your bladder for bacteria. So it (coke) may increase your risks for UTI.

You said it best about H2O - Water is your friend and should be your beverage of choice!