Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The fastest motorcycle in the world?

The fastest motorcycle in the world?

A friend of mine just bought a BMW 1200 and suggested that it is one of the fastest motorcycles in commercial production. I looked up the fast motorcycles in the world. According to http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/JerryChan.shtml which lists the major speed records of motorcycles, the Guiness book of World Records lists the 322.16 mph set by Dave Campos in 1990 as the world record, powered by two 1491 cc Ruxton Harley-Davidson engines.

Tomahawk

Some people claim that the fastest motorcycle in the world is the Tomahawk. The following are videos of what some might consider the ultimate motorcycle, a 500 hp V10 viper engine mounted in a motorcycle with claimed capability of going 400 mph, 0-60 in 2.3 seconds, made by Chrysler.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/246625/tomahawk/
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...04366476459286

Here is a picture:

So, how much will these babies cost? One article suggested that Chrysler decided to make 10 and sold them at $555,000 each (Source):
    "
    Chrysler sold nine replicas through Neiman Marcus, for up to $555,000 each," the allpar.com Web site says. "The motorcycles cannot be legally driven on public roads. A Chrysler spokesman told Reuters they were meant as rolling sculptures -- but they can probably still be driven on private roads (the rolling-sculpture comment may be designed to avoid legal liability)."
    As it turns out, the Tomahawk's top speed is just theoretical and based on horsepower calculations. When Dodge first came out with publicity about the tomahawk, they claimed a 420 mph top speed and then changed its claim to 300+ mph (Source). At speeds of over 200 mph, air resistance becomes a major factor that prevents faster speeds, including the ability of the rider to hold on. Many people have expressed doubts about the claim (Source) saying that it is not enough to have all the horsepower without being able to use them (Source).

Suzuki 1300R Hayabusa

Suzuki claims to have make the fastest motorcycle in the world and much more affordable (Source). Its 1300cc engine puts out 175 horsepower and has a top-speed limit of 189 mph (Source). A turbocharged version apparently recorded 261 mph, qualifying for the fastest open wheel bike in production.

BMW K1200 S
    These motorcycles are powered by a 1170 cc 4-stroke Boxer engine, costing about $15,000-$18,000 http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...30/054495.html, 110 bhp, a maximum speed of 246 kph (150 mph), a 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, and a 33 liter tank that gives a 450 mile range. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_K1200S is as fast as the Hayabusa. Here is a picture:
    In 2006,
    http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/etc/ut...scat=fun_stuff
    BMW K 1200 S Shakes Bonneville Salt Flats

A 2006 BMW K 1200 S has set a world land-speed record in the 1350cc stock partially faired class at Utah's famed Bonneville Salt Flats. The motorcycle, piloted by Andy Sills and sponsored by BMW of San Francisco, reached an average speed of 173.57 mph after two runs on the vast, white plains, where hundreds of land speed records have been set and broken since the early 1900s in a variety of automobile and motorcycle classes.

"It was a rare opportunity for me and BMW", commented Sills, an avid BMW enthusiast who, has amassed more than 300,000 miles on four BMW motorcycles within the last seven years. "The best part is that our record on a bone-stock bike exactly the same as Ernst Henne's last record of 279.504 km/hr - right down to the hundredth of a second!" If this doesn't seem like much progress, remember that Henne's bike was modified,streamlined, and supercharged.
    What fascinated me was the limitations of wind drag on the maximum speed of motocycles. A mile has 1609.344 meters. Therefore, at 300 mph, the rider is facing wind of 482,700 meters/hour or 134 meter/second. At 400 mph, the rider is facing wind of about 179 m/second. I found a web site that gives the speeds of a variety of bullets shot 30-60 meters at a target. A fast bullet travels at the speed of 862 m/sec. A "slow" bullet travels at 174 m/sec. In other words, if you are going at 400 mph, a bug would hit you with a speed that is comparable with that of a bullet. Ouch!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...00/results.png
    Last edited by Wise Young; 11-19-2006 at 05:08 PM.

The Hayabusa vs. Kawasaki ZX-12 debate has been going on for years for who has the fastest production bike. Here are some numbers compiled the same year of my bike, 2000.

http://www.qsl.net/n5mya/testdata.html

This year Kawasaki unveiled the ZX-14 because they couldn't compete with Suzuki apparantly.. Here's the ZX at the dragstrip.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ArticleID=3088

With all that added hp, IMO, the ZX-14 falls short based on the times posted in the link.

I'm a bit partial to anything Suzuki..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Check out this truck I heard him in an interview that he is 63 now and has really clear arteries because of the G forces that ate applied to speding up and slowing down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZBrEdxICxY This guy sold everything but his home to make this record. I thought is was impressive what G forces do to your blood vessels. Jeff did you hear it on 96 rock?

Angry Bikes

I had a Suzuki 1200, and did 120-160 mph on a regular basis, oddly enough it was a bulding that fell on me, not a bike crash, that did the damage, 5 seconds one way or the other and I wouldn't be in the shape I'm in.....Damn!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing could beat me on the honda 50 Then I had Suzuki 250. I got a joke played on my Dad's buddies when I got on a 400 when I was 12 (Ihad to put the kickstand down just to crank it!) I busted my butt I never made it to my Harley. That would have been great.

I got yer 50 cc's right here!!! Those were the days. I probly enjoyed my racing go kart the most. That was a lot of fun..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Yea they were did ya ever ride the gas line that went from behind Bonanza off 19 & 41 to the Talmage lakes? I had a go cart with a 12 horsepower engine. I would take the tractor with a big metal beam and drag trails thru the woods. We would come home with bent frames and Dad and his buddies would weld them back straight. that look like a fast one you got there. That bar in the middle really hurt them "boys" when you hit a tree I like dirt biking the best, I really enjuy watching it on TV. They do stuff I would have never thought of now.

I know where you are talking about, but never rode there. I grew up riding motorcycles and 4 wheel drive trucks over there at Southlake Distribution which is at the end of the road if you turn by the Fresh Express plant.

That cart was a Yamaha 20 hp engine.. it would really get going..

Fast is rather irrelevent past 150, Kinda hard to see when you tuck in for that speed, and slowing is rather long as well (energy squared with speed doubled), unless you are on a Bonneville Salt Flats type course, it gets a little annoying pushing those limits on a bike unless you are suicidal or something. That said, I think the Kawasaki ZX14? is the king of power when it comes to numbers (and I hear when it comes to crashing too, LOL) Basically any litre class bike is the bomb when it comes to the just right amount of power (too much ), the question you want to ask is do you want grand touring or cutting edge sportbike in your bike (size and weight).

I saw the new BMW K bike, that thing looks sweet! If I was still riding I think I would have one right now as a replacement for the BMW Boxer I had (as my touring bike to accompany my Honda 954RR which donated a SCI to me)

wind resistance is big on bicycles once you get above 15 mph , air resistance is the prime slower down. i have a recumbent bicycle , when i put the fairing on it, the change in speed is huge, on roads in normally hit 15 mph , i now hit 18 with the same effort, and i am able to maintain the speed easier.
    i guess motorcycles just increase the horsepower.
    i wonder how a hand cycle would increase its speed with a fairing,
    that one reason the sport bikes are so much faster than harleys , they have a better profile, the harleys upright position act like a sail catching wind
    cauda equina