Thread: Problems with Dragon NaturallySpeaking and zonealarm

Problems with Dragon NaturallySpeaking and zonealarm

I used to use Norton and everything was fine while running Dragon NaturallySpeaking and I decided to install zonealarm. Now I'm noticing a lot of system hangs and Dragon giving me a bunch of errors from time to time. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and fixed the problem. I run 1.4 GHz processor with 736 MB of RAM on a laptop and also the fan is going crazy on and off since I installed zonealarm and using Dragon at the same time. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Did you install Z.A while you were using Dragon? Shutdown Z.A and see if Dragons better.

You might have to uninstal Z.A and reinstall with dragon off.

Dragon was on the startup mode when zone alarm was installed but no user was loaded. When shutting down zonealarm Dragon works perfectly fine. I have just uninstalled and reinstalled dragon and so far I'm seeing a much more stable system for now. I reinstalled with zonealarm on. We'll have to see if everything maintains the same after a day or so and I will repost.
    Last edited by tekniko; 11-20-2006 at 02:41 AM.

Here's a little update. After uninstalling and reinstalling dragon the problem seemed to be the same after a while. After doing the dragon I uninstalled and reinstalled zonealarm and everything was the same a lot of system freezeups. The final step was tweaking with the virtual memory and seems like it did the trick.

How much RAM you packing?

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    How much RAM you packing?
    Patonb, he has 736 MB of RAM. If it was my laptop I would uninstall ZoneAlarm and use the Windows XP built-in firewall. OTOH, if you need a bi-directional firewall to check outgoing data, try Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall free version. It appears that ZoneAlarm has been a problem from the get go!

Dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.0 Pro.

Seriously there is no need of uninstalling zonealarm from the system, as long as you tweak around with it you can get it to work with Dragon. I have searched everywhere for a fix for the problem but there was no answer whatsoever. I came up with my own fix and that is to put the virtual memory on the option where the system manages the size instead of a custom size. I have been using Dragon with the zonealarm installed since last night after the tweak without any system hangs whatsoever. Everything used to freeze up before the the virtual memory tweak and the fan used to go on like crazy every 10 seconds or so.

Dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8 Spanish English version.

736 is a good round number.. Glad you fixed it.

Dictated using my brain (v1.30) and typed via finger

Thanks, and I hope that other people that have the same problem here on the forum will try the same thing with the virtual memory to fix the problem in regards to Dragon and zonealarm.