Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On his wedding day?

On his wedding day?

Kin plan vigil for NYC shooting victims

NEW YORK - Sean Bell and his fiancee had already shared a high school romance, then two children. In the early hours of what was to be their wedding day, the reception hall lay waiting, covered in satin and adorned with balloons. But the ceremony never occurred Saturday. Police shot 50 rounds at the groom's car as he drove away from his bachelor party, killing the 23-year-old hours before he was to walk down the aisle
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061126/...olice_shooting

Police thought one of the men in the car might have had a gun, but investigators found no weapons. It was unclear what prompted police to open fire, Kelly said.
    According to Kelly, the groom was involved in a verbal dispute outside the club after 4 a.m. One of his friends made a reference to a gun.
    An undercover officer walked closely behind Bell and his friends as they headed for their car. As he walked toward the front of the vehicle, they drove forward — striking him and a nearby undercover police vehicle.
    This is just wrong and heartbreaking. Now they are saying that someone fled the scene on foot....How after being shot at with 50 rounds? Perhaps to insinuate the man who ran was armed and to provide a reason for firing so many shots?

I know we all have our own thoughts in regards to the Richards thread but this is just wrong and unjustified. Even if the men were armed, they werent worth shooting up a neighborhood. What if one of the stray bullets had killed someone's child???

I feel for this family as the groom left behind two small children.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 11-26-2006 at 11:34 AM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

when they hit the cop with the car , the car became a leathal weapon and also when they hit the undercover van. as long as the driver new he hit a cop with his car , the police were in there right to protect themselfs. the amount of rounds fired could present a problem. they where all using 9MM pistols. buy far not a killing weapon.
    oh well

I guess it will come down to whether the police identified themselves before they fired or approached that car.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

its going to get ugly, one cop reloaded and continued firing.
    in nyc the police are not allowed to fire on a vehicle being used as a weapon, once the vehicle has stopped moving or is no longer a threat.
    i heard today on the news that the under covers in the bar were allowed to drink, so may have been under the influence.
    cauda equina

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    when they hit the cop with the car , the car became a leathal weapon and also when they hit the undercover van. as long as the driver new he hit a cop with his car , the police were in there right to protect themselfs. the amount of rounds fired could present a problem. they where all using 9MM pistols. buy far not a killing weapon.
    By far certainly a "killing round" (fired from the pistols). Perhaps you meant that the 9mm round is a poor choice for penetrating a vehicle? At any rate, as stated, your point is wrong.

S.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 11-29-2006 at 06:07 AM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

i just read that the nypd regs are not to fire on a vehicle even if it is being used as a weapon.
    i know other instances where the nypd brass have over looked this , but 50 rounds is not going to fly.
    the police have to account for every shot they fired
    cauda equina

When I read this, I am happy the police is not allowed to have guns here. I have never seen a gun in Norway my whole life.
    TH 12, 43 years post

The more that comes out about this story...the more heart sickening it becomes.

Juke Spin , one guy was shot 11 times with 9 mm pistol. unless you hit a vital spot , head or heart , you generally will survive. a 9mm is not the weapon of choice to kill someone. thats why police depts. perfer officers use them. i have 44 mag , if i hit somebody 11 times , they would be picking up the pcs. and putting them in a bag.
    oh well

Deadly Weapon

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    Juke Spin , one guy was shot 11 times with 9 mm pistol. unless you hit a vital spot , head or heart , you generally will survive. a 9mm is not the weapon of choice to kill someone. thats why police depts. perfer officers use them. i have 44 mag , if i hit somebody 11 times , they would be picking up the pcs. and putting them in a bag.
    Firstly, for many decades the 38 Spl. revolver round was used practically to the exclusion to any other by U.S. police officers. The numbers of courpses produced by this round would require a stadium for accomodation.

Now, while many P.D.s still issue the 9mm pistol to their officers, a large percentage are moving toward the forty caliber weapons. Huge discounts are available for anyone looking for lightly used, retired 9mm police pistols because of this switch.

Point being; the 9mm round is the rough equivalent of the venerable 38 Spl. and is quite effective if the round is decently (torso center-line will generally end a confrontation) placed. "Overkill" rounds (41 Mag; 44 Mag; 454 Nitro Exp.; etc.) require oversized and/or overweight weapons that would take a law officer too long to bring into play.

I make the following statement fully aware of the flack it may well be seen as inviting but: if I was sporting a 380 Auto pistol (the Spanish made Constable, for instance) and you had your forty-four Mag, I'd be able to shoot you a few times before you'd be ready to fire the larger, heavier weapon. This is the main reason that almost no cops (try to) use these unrealistically big weapons, wound considerations notwithstanding.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane