Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get out of your funk - Volunteer!

Get out of your funk - Volunteer!

One of my greatest joys is to volunteer my time to help others. I'm a big advocate of action speaking volumes over words and here's what I'm doing about it.

1. Recording books for the blind and dyslexic. There are offices and chapters throughout the country and whether you're a very high, high, low or lower injury your voice and diction / articulation could be used to help someone else. Currently I'm volunteering 2-3 hrs per week.

2. Craig hospital. About a dozen former patients have volunteered to be peer counselors and mentors to the acute patients and families that come to Craig. Currently I put in about 8-10 hrs per month.

3. Literacy volunteers of America. Hey, we all can read right? Why not utilize your literacy skills to help someone else? I haven't worked this into my schedule yet but give me a month or so.

My point of this thread is that we all want to feel a sense of value and purpose as we walk and roll over this earth. Giving of yourself to help another may just be the ticket for improved self-worth and humanitarian contribution. Imo, there are no excuses - we all can do something.

Good luck, onward and upward.

Quote Originally Posted by chris chappel
    My point of this thread is that we all want to feel a sense of value and purpose as we walk and roll over this earth. Giving of yourself to help another may just be the ticket for improved self-worth and humanitarian contribution. Imo, there are no excuses - we all can do something.
    You make a great point, Chris.

Volunteer work does seem to somewhat soothe not only the souls of those that receive help, but also mine own...it really makes 'ya feel good

Nice post buddy
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I could not agree with you more. I think volunteering helped me through some pretty dark times moreso than the people I was helping.

Not only that, but you meet some incredible people who can really put things into perspective for you

Great post, Chris!!!

Sound advice. The right volunteer activity is a true bargain in that the volunteers help themselves as they help others.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Ah, Chris, just one more reason why you are one of my favorite people on the planet! Well said!

Thanks for the push, Chris. I just requested info about reading for the blind here in NJ.

Thanks guys

Ultimately, I'm hoping that LBush and maybe a few others might also think its a good idea. Sometimes when we focus our energy on others it makes our lives and world a little easier to manage.

Sue - right back at ya - xo

Go Lois, go Lois..

I cannot emphasize the need for peer counselors in hospitals enough. It would be wonderful if we could have a more organized approach for this. I was looking for someone to come and see a patient the other day, and I could not pull that together for that patient in time for his discharge. Thanks for all that you do Chris. You are a good person. Mary
    1FineSpineRN

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell
    One of my greatest joys is to volunteer my time to help others. I'm a big advocate of action speaking volumes over words and here's what I'm doing about it.

3. Literacy volunteers of America. Hey, we all can read right? Why not utilize your literacy skills to help someone else? I haven't worked this into my schedule yet but give me a month or so.
    I've been working as an ELL tutor for my local LVA for over two years and I love it. I've even started helping them with other internal projects. They are a fantastic organization.

I concur wholeheartedly with Chris Chappel. Get out and serve. There's no greater joy
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

I volunteer at my daughter's school so much that it's like I have a part-job there, except I don't get paid. It's good for me, it's good for my daughter, it's good for the other kids, it's good for the teachers. Somedays, like today, I really don't feel like going, but I make myself go and I'm so glad once I'm there. It just feels so good to know that I've made a difference.

I used to volunteer at a nursing home for severly disabled children. Wow, that was hard. But to see their faces light up when they saw my dog was so incredible. It even put a smile on the nurses faces, and that's important too. I had to quit doing it when I became pregnant because I was so sick. The dog I took there has since died, but I really hope to volunteer again someday at a children's hospital. I think I might be more needed at the children's nursing home, but it's so depressing seeing those kids. I don't know if I can do it again.

Two summers ago, my daughter, my dog, and I volunteered together at a place that served lunch for free to poor, elderly people. We were the greeters. What we did wasn't much, but a lot of them loved seeing my daughter and my dog.

Volunteering is good for everyone involved. I suggest getting involved with something that you are passionate about. For me, I'd much rather be around kids than the elderly, so naturally volunteering with kids is far more satisfying to me.