Thread: Swollen foot, burning & numbness!!!

Swollen foot, burning & numbness!!!

Hi

My left foot is swollen badly around the ankel area. I'm also experiencing a severe burning sensation under my foot. At night, the fingers on my left hand is going numb. Could this be heart-related? My aorto was repaired in 1996 and i also suffered a myocardinal infarction a few years ago!

Hi,

It is hard to say exactly what this is.
    In general, if swelling is related to heart issues such as heart failure, the swelling would be on both sides, not just one.

Have you had any trauma to your ankle or foot? What is your level and are you complete/incomplete? Are these new symptoms?

Transient numbness of the hand could be from lying wrong during sleep and impinging your circulation- but if this continues after changing position, I would definitely recommend seeing your doctor.

AAD

Swollen Feet

Lack of movement seemsto make my feet and ankles swell when upright in the WC. . . seems down when in bed.

SCI-NURSE

I didn't experience any trauma on my foot or ankle, at least that i know of. I'm a T10 incomplete paraplegic since 1996 and these aren't new symptons.

Hi Shawn,

If these symptoms are not new, what does your doctor think they are caused from?

AAD

My doctor thinks the swelling is due to poor blood circulation and the burning sensation as neuropathic pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Hi

My left foot is swollen badly around the ankel area. I'm also experiencing a severe burning sensation under my foot. At night, the fingers on my left hand is going numb. Could this be heart-related? My aorto was repaired in 1996 and i also suffered a myocardinal infarction a few years ago!
    Shawn,

Two aspects of your description concern me. First, the fact that you have unilateral (left only) is worrisome. This is not the typical presentation of congestive cardiac failure or systemic circulatory problem, which usually should involve both legs. This is a possibility that can be treated. Is the left foot cold? Second, the fact that you are getting burning pain only on the foot that is swollen is also a little unusual for neuropathic pain. The fact that you have had aortic repair is significant and you may have had repeated catheterization of your left femoral artery and associated vascular damage during the procedure. Nevertheless, I think that you need to get an ultrasonic scan of your leg to rule out the possibility of a deep venous clot or thromboembolism.

I am not sure what the cause of your leg hand numbness is due to but the fact that it occurs at night suggests that it might be related to some positional compression of a nerve. There is a possibility that it might be vascular but is your hand cold when it occurs? If it involves only your hand, that is a little unusual for nerve compression. It may not be related to your feet problem.

Wise.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Hi,

It is hard to say exactly what this is.
    In general, if swelling is related to heart issues such as heart failure, the swelling would be on both sides, not just one.

AAD
    Thank You! I've had the exact same thing for a week and was mildly concerned because of the left side coincidence.

Dr. Young

Yes, my left foot is cold. The burning sensation is in both feet but, more extreme in the left. I noted that the numbness in my hand is due to me actually sleeping on it.

You should have this checked out by you doctor.
    Are you on any blood clot prevention therapy i.e. Coumadin- hav a filter?

CWO