Thread: Building a new home

Building a new home

Hi,
    I'm not sure this is the right section to post in but here it goes anyway.

I'm beginning the process of building my very first house. I have just recently bought the land. I currently have 350 m², and will shortly have another 350 m² adjacent to the original 350 signed up to a total of 700 m² (7534.74 square feet). The property is about 24 x 30 m (78.74 x 98.43 feet). According to local laws I will be able to build on 18 x 20 m (59.06 x 65.62 feet ).

I have several questions.
    1. How many rooms would you fit on the first floor?
    2. How large is your master bedroom?
    3. How large is your master bathroom?
    4. Do you have an elevator in your home? If so, can you please tell me about your experiences with it.

I would love to get as many tips as possible from any one who is willing to share them.

For your information, I am a 25-year-old C4-5 quadriplegic of five years. I use a manual wheelchair with e-motion. I have full-time PCA's living with me (one at a time). Currently I'm a bachelor, having just broken up a longtime relationship however in the future I do plan to have a family.

If anyone has their home plans and are willing to share them, I would very much like to take a look at them. I seem to be learning every day more and more and looking at plans gives me lots of good ideas. Pictures would be even better.

You can send them to my e-mail:
    eitanwaks@yahoo.com

Thank you very much for your help,
    Eitan Waks
    Last edited by EitanWaks; 11-14-2006 at 06:56 PM.

I'll quote from another thread. I just bought a copy today.

Quote Originally Posted by ezconrad
    Howdy Partner!
    Go 2 amazon.com and buy the book ACCESSIBLE HOME DESIGN
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...739#post565739
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Please check with the town to see if the amount of land you can build on changes since you are in a chair and disabled, we are currently building a one story house and went to get building permit intially for a two story not and found out we could petion to build a larger one story because of my need to use a wheelchair. We really wanted a one story so it worked out. An elevator isn't as conveint as you think we currently have one in our condo, it's supposed to be the quietest on the market and is still annoying at 2:00 am, it's not that quick, and if you want a family later in life you may not want the elevator waking up the baby. Always build a one story if the town will allow you the land.

Hope that helps.

Here is a small pic of the house we just built. It has zero grade entry, roll-under sinks, and an elevator. Plus Many other adaptives. Let me know if you have more questions.

Richards Construction
    4118 Commercial Drive
    Janesville, WI 53545

ikeraider8,
    Your new home looks great! Any chance of posting any other pictures?
    Thanks

I need to take some, we just moved in about a month ago. But when I get some, I will post them.

The elevator I have is actually a Porch Lift. It is very similar to an elevator, but a lot cheaper.

We are right in the middle of building our first and hopefully last home post injury. The most basic observation is that it takes no time to get huge. An extra foot here and a wider hallway there and suddenly it is big. We priced out the option of a one story versus 3 story with elevator and the elevator came in significantly cheaper than the extra concrete and roofing supplies. a three stop elevator was $24,000 delivered and installed. We mitigated the sound issue by placing the elevator next to the garage and having the motor in the garage. Our theme throughout was adaptive with looking adaptive. There are decks connecting all sides of the house with doors to the outside also on all sides so i can go in and out without dealing heavy doors and main entrances etc. The most basic piece of advice is that the building process gets crazy and stressful. Identify the important areas like transitions to decks etc and just make sure the contractor recognizes them as the priority. we got the final plans and there were still small steps here and there that just appeared. i sat down with the contractor and circled them all and explained why they were an issue. That lead to him finding issues of his own and it's been pretty easy from there. Stay on it and involved. I could go on forever but that's the most basic advice. Good luck. N
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

I just met with the developer / builder this morning to discuss my plans for a new home. I'm looking at around 300-320 m² house on 710 m² land.

I looked through various plans they had and explained my requirements. They will produce some rough sketches and we'll take it from there. Should be exciting but I have heard so many horror stories that I'm a bit nervous.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Don't let anyone talk you into letting them put even a little ramp up into a shower. They will want to because it is easier to build that way. They are so dangerous for attendants to slip on. The whole bathroom floor should just gradually slope towards the shower drain

Hi,
    I built (build?) a house last year. Moved in this January. I'm going to try to add the plan (in Flemish). Very practical house!