Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: naltrexone treatment of neuropathic pain

Quote Originally Posted by JoPattson
    Don't know why he thinks there is a conspiracy, it's used all over the place and there are lots of studies for it. And it makes tons and tons of money. However, it's FDA approved use is for alcohol and drug addiction. Any other use is off label, and thus the mfger can neither advertize, nor support projects for any such off label use. Other people can though.

So, it's up to your friend and others like him to spread the word, create web sites, etc.
    Well-He left the land of the living about four years ago, so I can't really outline his conspiracy theory. I do know however he belonged to this website:

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

There's a fair amount of information here, it seems this medication has gotten more exposure in the last year or so. It is suggested at the bottom of this website that off label use may be in clinical trial in a few years. Obviously -- it's no panacea, but I'm interested to hear what experiences people with spinal cord injury have had.

Is it injected or taken orally?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

This seems kin of trendy. On a message board for people w/ Graves disease, they are discussing it as the new savior for autoimmune disrders.

Would be a bonus for me, if it cured Graves and this damn burning pain in one fell swoop!

Are there any studies going on regarding naltrexone (or LDN) in regard to severe diabetic neuropathy pain? Hydrocodone 5/10mg does almost nothing for it.
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by mcastr View Post
    Are there any studies going on regarding naltrexone (or LDN) in regard to severe diabetic neuropathy pain? Hydrocodone 5/10mg does almost nothing for it.
    Marcus
    Generally, opiates are not effective for neuropathic pain. I'm not sure about any studies for naltrexone.

LDN helps my neuropathic pain

I have been diagnosed with a peripheral neuropathy, possibly with an underlying autoimmune disorder, however my diagnoses are not specific or firm. My doctor gave in and prescribed LDN, and after 1 night at 1.5 mg, my pain was 50% improved. After 3 months, it is almost completely gone. My level of pain, at its worst, was not incapacitating, however very much affected my lifestyle and quality of life. I'm trying to find more info/research on LDN and neuropathic pain and find very little. It concerns me to see that it is commonly thought LDN doesn't help neuropathic pain. How many people aren't giving it a try, for this reason, and how many doctors are unwilling to prescribe? I have to change doctors, and am looking for a way to convince a new doctor that LDN is the best treatment for my pain.