Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Stem cell therapy to do or not to do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    21

    Stem cell therapy to do or not to do?

    My brother had a C6-7 incomplete (we hope) sci sunday a week ago, I have heard a lot about stem cell treatment and researched this on the net. Got hold of two US based medical companies that does the research and treatment one does it in Barbados, the other in Dominican republic. Has anyone been for this treatment, could you please let me know what your feelings is on this, is there improvement in condition after treatment?

    Your replies will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by borries
    My brother had a C6-7 incomplete (we hope) sci sunday a week ago, I have heard a lot about stem cell treatment and researched this on the net. Got hold of two US based medical companies that does the research and treatment one does it in Barbados, the other in Dominican republic. Has anyone been for this treatment, could you please let me know what your feelings is on this, is there improvement in condition after treatment?

    Your replies will be appreciated.
    Borries,

    I strongly recommend against going to the clinics in Barbados and Dominican Republic. Neither of them are offering therapies that have been shown to be of benefit in spinal cord injury. They are just infusing umbilical cord blood cells without doing any chemotherapy to create niches for cells to engraft. It is not clear that they are using well-matched umbilical cord blood units. So, the treatments are very unlikely to do anything except waste your time and money.

    Wise.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    21

    Hi Wise

    According to them they use fetal stem cells, I am no expert in the process but I can give you their website it is www.regenmd.com. According to them there is chances of improvement if the injury is recent and incomplete. Please have a look at the site when you get a chance. they also said that he might qualify as part of the research. From what I gathered there is not significant risk for this treatment. I would like to know if it is worth the try or not

    Thanks for your reply

  4. #4

    Do not do.

    I am a c5 c6 quadriplegic complete. I have heard many horror stories from people doing related treatments out of the US. I have been living with sci for 5 years. I would love to walk again but I tell you, a cure is not too far away here in the US. Check out the Reeve-Irvine center and the accomplishments they have made. There is hope only if we can get the right guy or girl in office and get the world to take a stand on this issue. It will pursue. Just be patient. Save your money for when it is available here in the U.S.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In your nightmares
    Posts
    1,740
    Don't bother and be patient.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    21

    thanks

    After your "negative" (according to me) feedback I sent a mail to the company in Barbados to ask them for SCI specific testimonials as there were not any on their site, however they have it as one of the "diseases" that can be cured. To my suprize I reveived a call from them to inform me that up to date they have only treated 2 patients, none of them with significant results. Thanks for the eye opener.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by borries
    According to them they use fetal stem cells, I am no expert in the process but I can give you their website it is www.regenmd.com. According to them there is chances of improvement if the injury is recent and incomplete. Please have a look at the site when you get a chance. they also said that he might qualify as part of the research. From what I gathered there is not significant risk for this treatment. I would like to know if it is worth the try or not

    Thanks for your reply
    borries, you are correct. I had spoken to the CEO of the company at Barbados last year. They are using fetal cells obtained from aborted fetuses in Russia. There is not much information about the cells and how they are going to be transplanting the cells. I don't think that you should assume that there is no risk.

    Wise.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In your nightmares
    Posts
    1,740
    The WISE one has spoken twice. It's your life but don't be a fool and listen to us and not do it.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    21

    His first day awake after surgery

    Riaan had his surgery this morning, a three hour procedure where they used artificial bone for the fusion. This afternoon at three was the first time that we could speak to him and explain what is going on. The last ten days has been a total lapse of time for him. He took it suprisingly well even making a few jokes no and then. He still has a lot of fluids in the lungs that they are trying to get rid of. It has been confirmed by the Neurosurgeon that it is a C6-7 complete injury. There goes all hope for stemcells in any event. At present he has feeling in his hands but does not seem to able to move them. Will that improve? He also asked whether he will be able to get back feeling in hes legs which I told him that I dont thinks so. The one thing that made me laugh is that he said i must stop smoking because there came a lot of "shit" out of his lungs. thanks for all your help thus far. Will most definitaley put him on here as soon as he can. They reckon that he will be out of ICU soon, he is already off the ventilator, from there he will be going straight to rehab.

    Thanks again

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by borries
    Riaan had his surgery this morning, a three hour procedure where they used artificial bone for the fusion. This afternoon at three was the first time that we could speak to him and explain what is going on. The last ten days has been a total lapse of time for him. He took it suprisingly well even making a few jokes no and then. He still has a lot of fluids in the lungs that they are trying to get rid of. It has been confirmed by the Neurosurgeon that it is a C6-7 complete injury. There goes all hope for stemcells in any event. At present he has feeling in his hands but does not seem to able to move them. Will that improve? He also asked whether he will be able to get back feeling in hes legs which I told him that I dont thinks so. The one thing that made me laugh is that he said i must stop smoking because there came a lot of "shit" out of his lungs. thanks for all your help thus far. Will most definitaley put him on here as soon as he can. They reckon that he will be out of ICU soon, he is already off the ventilator, from there he will be going straight to rehab.

    Thanks again
    Just because he is a complete injury does not mean that there is
    no hope for a stem cell therapy in the future. Most of us are
    complete injuries.

    You should really study what stem cell research is going on and
    what spinal cord injury is before you make such assumptions.

    In my opinion, it is still to early to tell how much function he will
    get back.

Similar Threads

  1. Some Stem Cells Don't Work
    By Faye in forum Cure
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 05:19 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 06:14 PM
  3. Republican Senate Leader Frist to back ESC research!
    By Donny247 in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 08:00 AM
  4. Replies: 104
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 12:56 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •