Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Am I alone again?

The reason is simple. I'm not rich enough to try and not be sure that I'll get any good result. The day that I'll see a quad like me who get any motor return, I will begin to think more about it...that's not the case as far as I know.
    For now, not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    Steve, my heart breaks at the cruelty of your SCI. Forgive my naiveté, but why are you not around the word trying experimental therapies? I know that little by little, you can slowly improve until better things come. Think what gaining one motor segment at a time would fo for you! Many therapies offer at least the chance of improvement. Why not take the plunge, if fund raising is not a problem?
    Sorry if you have already tried and I don´t know.

Last edited by spidergirl; 11-11-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    Leo,

You know I have the utmost respect for you. But a few months ago I was surfing this site and back in 2001 a lot of CC senior members were certain they would be independent or walking in 2006.

Maybe we should start a cure lottery, the lucky winner could be rich.
    Hey, I thought the cure would be here in 2005. But I also thought the CRPA Bill would be passed. Things have happened that have gotten in the way of a cure but I still believe that we are on the verge. I feel more hopeful now that the Dems are in charge of Congress. Significant progress is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    Hey, I thought the cure would be here in 2005. But I also thought the CRPA Bill would be passed. Things have happened that have gotten in the way of a cure but I still believe that we are on the verge. I feel more hopeful now that the Dems are in charge of Congress. Significant progress is happening.
    Seneca, agreed on the progress. I was merely showing how fallible our predictions can be. The CC members are always making predictions when it should be the researchers.

Bush has been slapped in the face, finally (I voted for him). It would be poetic justice if the restrictions on stem cell research were lifted due to an override. Nancy Pelosi indicated this is one of her priorities.

I'm not convinced lifting bans on ESC's would do the SCI community a lot of good at this point since a lot of good basic research for SCI's has been and is still being conducted.

Seneca, agreed on the progress. I was merely showing how fallible our predictions can be. The CC members are always making predictions when it should be the researchers.

Bush has been slapped in the face, finally (I voted for him). It would be poetic justice if the restrictions on stem cell research were lifted due to an override. Nancy Pelosi indicated this is one of her priorities.

I'm not convinced lifting bans on ESC's would do the SCI community a lot of good at this point since a lot of good basic research for SCI's has been and is still being conducted.

Hey Schmek, I completely agree.

I feel very confident the ban on ESC research will be lifted soon. The problem then will be the fight over government funding, wont do much good to have the ban lifted if there is not funding. I am sure Bush and his goons are going to do everything to try and keep ESC unfunded by federal funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    I feel very confident the ban on ESC research will be lifted soon. The problem then will be the fight over government funding, wont do much good to have the ban lifted if there is not funding. I am sure Bush and his goons are going to do everything to try and keep ESC unfunded by federal funds.
    I agree Curt and SCI won't be getting first dibs. I believe the diabetes folks are first in line to benefit.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Am I alone who don't believe anymore about real cure for SCI? I'm c4 15y post. and I heard so much that a cure is just around the corner. That corner is now too far for me, I gave up about this.
    Like God, we hear a lot about him but we never saw him...
    Am I wrong?
    I'm sure that some of you can easily understand my feeling.
    For conclusion, life in wheelchair is nightmare forever, even more when you are c4.

Steve
    Hey Steve, every night for 24 years I sleep and dream, I've never seen in my dreams that I am paralyzed. I always walk like before my accident, some times with a difficulty but always walking. That tells me my body is ready to walk again, our bodies and our minds want to walk again, and they are ready to do it. I trust my dreams, we never dream about something that is impossible to happen. If they put back the connection, everything else in our body and mind will do the right thing. Our nerves will make us run again, feel again. It might be easier than we think. As soon they start clinical trials, then nothing will stop progress.

quote:

I gave up about this.
    Like God, we hear a lot about him but we never saw him...
    Am I wrong?

Steve, I always knew that we don't see God, we feel God. I feel God to kill my pain, and gives me hope and strength to deal with this. If you believe in God Steve, keep doing it, feel God inside you all the time untill the cure will come and you won't lose. You are a special human being because of your faith and your believes in your faith. For me walk or not walk, I always feel God inside me until I die, then God will stay behind to help other living people if they will accept him in their hearts, if they don't need him is find too. God is for the living, and God will be the way we want him to be. Be well,manouli
    Last edited by manouli; 11-11-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Hope?

Haha, okay I'm going to stir the pot a little. I mean, all that God stuff is real cute and all, but let's be serious for a minute. God helps with our pain? Well as long as he's intervening, perhaps he might wiggle his omnipotent finger and fix our spinal cords? Please? But what about this:

"Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of man." - Nietzsche

It's clear that this isn't always true, but can we all agree that it's also not always false? The question, my friends, is whether it is true for us, and it's a tough one because in the end it's just a gamble, isn't it? You will respond that everything in life is a gamble? Agreed, but some bets are better than others . . .

Once you start defining yourself as disabled forever, you really are.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12