Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Am I alone again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias
    "Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of man." - Nietzsche
    Perhaps.

But maybe only if man has resigned himself to torment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias
    "Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of man." - Nietzsche
    Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Perhaps.

But maybe only if man has resigned himself to torment.
    I think that if one is truly resigned to torment then they have given up all hope, thus failure loses it's sting. If you always expect the worst, you'll never really be dissapointed.
    Last edited by Myc0; 11-12-2006 at 05:00 AM.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Arrow

Steve, reading this thread just makes me so sad. I've been a low para for the last 44 years and don't want to rain on any realistic parades but offer this:

Mark Twain said: "Faith is believing something you know isn't true.

The belief of so many here that a cure is "just around the corner" for everyone with sci comes across to me as whistling in the dark...when it's not spitting into the wind.

If you can make it work for you, more power to you. For me it's a game of smoke and mirrors that I've seen through.

As for reviving hope through global search for "improvement"; check out the journey of Tim C (Find all threads started by Tim C.) for an eyeopener of what can be encountered/expected.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Myc0
    I think that if one is truly resigned to torment then they have given up hope, thus failure loses it's sting. If you always expect the worst, you'll never really be dissapointed.
    What is that "Hope" . Is it some abstract ambiguous thing, detached from your being, or is it something one acts upon and/or utilizes to direct their lives and Self (in accordance to those hopes, dreams, desires...??

If one gives up hope, thus never really being disappointed or "stung", then where is the torment? In giving up hope, isn't one then relieved of their torment? Maybe, it is torment, that gives rise to hope, and hope, given pulse through torment.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    If you can make it work for you, more power to you. For me it's a game of smoke and mirrors that I've seen through.
    Juke, we had a debate long ago about stem cells and such. I thought your winds had changed a little 44 years is a long time and I really take my hat off to you. With much respect however, the climate has never been like it has now so the smoke and mirrors you talk of are no longer relevant today. Those who do their research will realise that it is not just 'right around the corner' but it is indeed close. I'm 23 and I doubt by my 30th birthday will be spent sitting like this Its not about 'making it work for me', its the not too far future of medicine as we know it.

The Tim C thread is a sad affair. The experimental therapies currently being offered are total BS and should be outlawed. Those that offer them are nothing but crooks in white coats.

Hang in there Steve.
    Last edited by Cherry; 11-12-2006 at 01:03 PM.

I agree with Steve I am sad to say. I don't think there will be any cure for me. I don't know enough about what is going on in terms of a cure I suppose to really have an educated opinion. But I don't think I will see one in my future . I think I have resigned myself to living like this for the rest of my life.

In Vancouver, BC there is an international group of scientists working on cures. The website shows the new bldg in progress, but it is up and the lights are on inside. I pass it every day.

http://www.icord.org/index.php

Stem cell researchers in Canada:

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/natio...e-bfb193fd8ed7

And in Toronto:
    "One of the world's foremost stem cell researchers is returning to Canada to head up a new centre for regenerative medicine in Toronto, which officially opens its doors Wednesday....Despite being touted by New York Magazine earlier this year as one of six doctors the city couldn't afford to lose, Keller jumped at the chance to become founding director of the University Health Network's McEwen Centre for Regenerative Medicine.

Among his reasons for heading north: "The opportunity to work with what I think is the best stem cell community in the world," Keller said in an interview.

We in Canada have not been waiting for the US stem cell debate to open up research possibilities and world wide collaboration.

Keep up the courage...

i feel you on this..especially when i just lost my bestfriend/lover..she was the reason i kept going and being happy and made me forget about my situation...........
    JUST GLAD TO BE ALIVE

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    I agree with Steve I am sad to say. I don't think there will be any cure for me. I don't know enough about what is going on in terms of a cure I suppose to really have an educated opinion. But I don't think I will see one in my future . I think I have resigned myself to living like this for the rest of my life.
    Amanda, Why would you say this. At 25 and less than 1 year post I will eat my shorts if you don't see a cure. You have a brilliant mind hence everything I say to you may seem patronising but please don't ever resign yourself to thinking you will remain in your current situation, you really won't. Yes we need to accept things for now and move on with our lives whether it be school, work, advocating/fundraising for a cure, family etc etc, but be under no illusion - your future will incorporate a curative treatment. We all need to stay as healthy as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by creeps2142
    i feel you on this..especially when i just lost my bestfriend/lover..she was the reason i kept going and being happy and made me forget about my situation...........
    So sorry to hear Help will come though, I am positive.