Thread: Question for Andy Please. Shower bench

Question for Andy Please. Shower bench

Andy,
    I am thinking about ordering that Invacare shower bench that you posted about. I noticed that it isn't padded. Just thought that I could possibly get it padded at an upholstery shop. Please give me some input if you think it would work. Does the seat come off ?

Thanks so much!
    G-Mom

I might have misnamed the one I have...this is the one I have, it is called the 'I-Class' bench...

Pretty darn stable and solid. I am wondering if the extra leg on the one you pictured would fit well in the particuar tub you have, seems a bit overkill (unless he is 800 lbs ). Moving it might be an issue for him too with all those legs hanging down. Getting to your question, when I origionally got my bench I was somewhat concerned about padding and was thinking of buying some bulk neoprene around maybe 1" thick to make a pad, but in the end I didnt. I figure you are in the shower for maybe 15 minutes, and even with my non-muscular SCI rear I have yet to get a pressure sore. It seems your son is pretty incomplete too, so sores might be even less of an issue for him. I'd say dont worry about padding unless it becomes an issue.

Andy,
    The neoprene sounds like a good idea. Thanks for all your help with the bench.

If you want to go ahead with that padding idea, search around in here for neoprene...

http://www.mcmaster.com/