Thread: Gait training centers????

Gait training centers????

Okay, so I've already done a loco-motor training program. I walk great. My walking speed is around 3.8 mph. I want more. I can run now, up to about 8.5 mph. But, my gait is pretty funky when I run. And I can't run for very long. I am wondering if any centers out there have any experience working wtih gait training for running? I called project walk today, waiting for them to return my phone call. Anywhere else to try? thanks!

Matt

Look at this video...she came in using a single crutch and left running.

http://projectwalk.org/client_bios/kazuyo.htm

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Matt

Look at this video...she came in using a single crutch and left running.

http://projectwalk.org/client_bios/kazuyo.htm

I've seen that video before and its amazing. How long was she there for to regain that kind of movement? My big thing is not strength, but rather it seems to be a nerve issue with the muscle. I am able to run for short distances, with an okay gait pattern. After about 500 feet or so, my muscles begin to tighten up. The faster I run, up around 7.8-8.5 my gait actually looks basically normal. Just for whatever reason, no matter how much time I spend on the treadmill or on the track. I still have a hard time running much more then about 500 feet. It's not a cardio related issue or a muscle strength. I am up to about 300 miles a week on a road bike. Last week I did a 100 mile solo ride with an average of just over 19mph, so I am pretty sure its not strength or endurance.

I can help you Matt . I don't want to step on toes with CareCure and advertising, but I have many years of gait training both personally, (C5C6 recovered SCI) and minored in Biomechanics with specialized study in gait training. I studied this to learn how to walk and perfect it into running. My gait is smooth and not many can tell I had an SCI. I do this with my clients at Awakenings Health Institute which is located at Solana Beach, CA or I could help you outside of Awakenings. You can call me at 760-613-1190 or e-mail at lkarch@awakeningshealth.org

Matt

She was here for ~6 weeks. We did a lot of light plyometric work with her as well as lateral and backward movements. I was amazed at how quickly she progressed toward more quick and explosive movements.

What happens after 500 feet? Do you tighten up or do your legs turn to jello? Do your mechanics break down to where you are tripping over yourself?

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Matt

She was here for ~6 weeks. We did a lot of light plyometric work with her as well as lateral and backward movements. I was amazed at how quickly she progressed toward more quick and explosive movements.

What happens after 500 feet? Do you tighten up or do your legs turn to jello? Do your mechanics break down to where you are tripping over yourself?
    I tighten up. Usually, what happens, is my right leg gets tight. Mostly I think its the front side of my shin. And I can't pick my toes up. But, I started doing some plyo work, and spending time on the stair stepper seems to be helping. The other night I was able to run about 1/2 mile without a break. After about 4 days of plyo work. Its getting better. Slowly.

That's great! 4 days of plyos and you go from 500 ft to .5 mile doesn't sound like slow progress to me....

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc