Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post traumatic syrinx

Post traumatic syrinx

I am a new user. I was in a car accident at work and all of my problems started then. After complaining for a year of pain in the mid back area, they found a syrinx at the T3-4 level. According to all the doctors I have seen, I was born with it. I recently found out that you can get a syrinx from trauma. The doctors here have very little knowledge in this area and I have progressively gotten worse over the last 4 1/2 years. A lot of my pain is in my left leg which the doctors swear can't be caused by a syrinx in the chest area. Does anyone have any answers?

wow, I'd get another opinion...you're right about trauma causing a syrinx. Did you have trauma to your spinal cord or to the spinal column (bone). If you have a syrinx from birth it could be causing problems now. A syrinx in the spinal cord at T3-4 could definitely cause pain, loss of sensation and/or motor function, spasticity, in your legs or elsewhere at or below T3-4.

Also do a search here for syrinx, syringomyelia, cyst, etc; you'll find lot's of info.
    Last edited by redbandit; 11-08-2006 at 01:26 AM.

Since they didn't do an MRI for a year, it is hard to say. I think it was an whiplash type injury to the spinal cord or twisting of it due to the force in which I was hit. I guess if the injury was to the bone, it would show that on the MRI. From what I have read, if you have it from birth it is usually from chiari formation and you have symptoms young. This started at age 33 right after my car accident. The problem is having a doctor admit it.

I'm not familiar with worker's comp, but if you're using their doc's, I'd get an independent doc to look at you and quick. You could get perm damage and more extensive than you already have. From your descriptions something is definitely impinging your spine or nerve root. I CAN"T BELIEVE a doc would say your fine.
    Last edited by redbandit; 11-08-2006 at 01:52 AM.

I was sent to a surgeon to remove a disc that was injured in the same accident that they let me suffer with spinal headaches for a year and a half. He told me he thought is was related to the accident but couldn't say for sure. Workman's comp won't pay the bills because they say I was born with it. They just keep giving me more drugs that I can't take and function with. This has been going on for years now and I am getting worse instead of better. I was told the muscle is wasting in my left leg. It is like they are afraid to relate it to the syrinx and them try to fix it. Thanks for listening! No one understands.

Quote Originally Posted by happygirl6468
    I am a new user. I was in a car accident at work and all of my problems started then. After complaining for a year of pain in the mid back area, they found a syrinx at the T3-4 level. According to all the doctors I have seen, I was born with it. I recently found out that you can get a syrinx from trauma. The doctors here have very little knowledge in this area and I have progressively gotten worse over the last 4 1/2 years. A lot of my pain is in my left leg which the doctors swear can't be caused by a syrinx in the chest area. Does anyone have any answers?
    happygirl,

Trauma can certainly cause a syringomyelic cyst. A syrinx may not explain the pain in your left leg and you should look for other potential causes (such as a slipped disc). Do you have any neurological symptoms besides pain, particularly sensory loss?

Wise.

Happy: you should be able to find very competent care at Vanderbilt. It is an excellent SCI center. A longer drive is Atlanta, Shepard. Many primary care physicians are ignorant (as in untrained, not stupid) of SCI issues. Do your research on who you'd like to see and make it happen.
    BeeBee

I have had tests done but only thing they found in lower back is mildly bulging discs. After I had the accident, I had terrible low back pain for a year but they never found the cause. Something happened though because now, i can do the smallest thing and not be bend over for a few days. I had a herniation at the C4-5 level but they didn't do anything about it and by the time my PC doctor looked at it, nearly every disc in my neck had problems and degenerative disc disease had started to show. According to WC doctors, I have a genetic disorder causing degenertion. I find that hard to believe since I had no problems before and it got that bad in less than 16 months. Two years after the accident, I had the C5-6 taken out because that was the worst. That cleared up the horrible spinal headaches but I still have stiffness and neck pain from the others. I now have repetitive cord trauma from the disc going untreated. The lower back is ok most of the time if I am careful. The main problem is the mid back pain and the constant leg pain. I now have no temperature sensation in my left leg and it tingles and has a feeling of vibration all the time. The bottom of my foot feels like it is on fire. The muscles constantly jump in my leg and now the muscle is beginning to waste. My neuro just says he can't explain it and gives me more and more medicine that I can't take and function.

I asked my neuro where I could find a doctor who specialized in syrinxs and he said I wouldn't find anyone in Nashville so I never looked any further. Thanks for the info, I will check into it.

Isn't Vanderbilt in Tennesee? They have a large neruosurgeyr clinic there.
    Have you tried NSAIDS and muscle relaxers?

CWO