Thread: Guilty!

Guilty!

GUILTY
    Current mood: peaceful

An Alachua County firefighter was found guilty Friday of attempted second-degree murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in the shooting of another man in March 2005 and could face up to life in prison.

Brian Minnich, 27, was originally charged with attempted first-degree murder, but the jury chose to convict him of the lesser charge of attempted second-degree murder around 3:30 p.m. Friday after hearing testimony from both sides over the past four days.

Minnich's conviction arose from an incident on March 13, 2005, when he and Baron Krevetski, 29, got into an argument over a woman's purse.

Minnich and Krevetski had met through mutual friends while out at clubs in the early morning hours of March 13 and Minnich had given Krevetski a ride home.

Minnich later went back to Krevetski's home to look for a friend's purse that turned up missing after Minnich dropped Krevetski at his home.

The defense and prosecution differed in their take on what happened next, but in the course of an argument over the purse, Krevetski used a flashlight to smash out the windows in Minnich's truck and Minnich fired seven shots at Krevetski. Two of the shots hit Krevetski, and he is now paralyzed from the waist down because one of the bullets hit the left side of his chest and damaged his spine.

The defense argued that Minnich fired the shots in self-defense, whereas the prosecution argued that it was Minnich who initiated the incident by pulling the gun first.

Prosecutor Margaret Stack said both of the charges against Minnich include several aggravating factors that could increase his sentence, such as the fact that Minnich fired a gun during the incident and caused great bodily harm to Krevetski.

Stack said Minnich's sentencing is tentatively scheduled for Dec. 14 and each charge carries a maximum sentence of 25 years to life in prison. She said the State Attorney's Office will seek a sentence of life in prison.

After the verdict, about 15 of Minnich's friends and family gathered outside the courtroom to mourn the verdict, though no one wanted to comment on the outcome.

Defense attorney Gloria Fletcher also declined to comment.

Minnich had worked as a firefighter and paramedic with Alachua County Fire Rescue up until the incident in March 2005, according to ACFR spokeswoman Megan Crandall. Crandall said that since the incident, Minnich had worked as a supply clerk with ACFR rather than out in the field.

"He was innocent until proven guilty," Crandall said. "But now that the verdict has been returned, we will take the appropriate actions to sever our relationship with Mr. Minnich."

RETORT
    What this article fails to mention is: number one: I did NOT steal any purse, nor have i ever. She found it in her car the next day, a car i was never in contact with. THATS what started this tragedy. Number 2: I was shot more than twice, I was "grazed" at least 2 other times, as my medical reports and wounds show . Number 3: The last bullet, OF THE 7 FIRED!, struck me, as i am draging myself away to the rear of the truck for cover, and hit me in the BACK!. Fracturing a rib then going through both my lungs, and spinal cord at the t10 level. Leaving me in crtical condition as he ran off into the woods.
    I survived this though, and one of the reasons i think i did was to tell the truth and make sure he will never do this to anyone again. He can never give me back what he took from me,(they say ill never walk again) but he will never take it from you. Is this Justice?He is in prison and i am in a prison as well. I try to keep a positive attitude and live strong but there are soooooo many things i can not do that i onced loved,as well as the mental stress,neuropathic and physical pain i feel daily. I find it strange you see him, with a livestrong bracelet on, in the papers. One thing that can be learned from this is that guns are dangerous, and should not be mixed with liquor. In the D.A.'s closing statement, she refered to a Cash song she heard that reminded her of this case. Dont bring your guns to town...i have sinced listened to this song many times...i will never forget it and i hope Brian wont either. He is gonna have a long time to think about it.
    To Brians friends and family, I did not know Brian, i do not know if he is a "bad" person. I think being a firefighter is honorable, but does not change what he did to me.I do know that one very bad decision he made has changed many peoples lives forever...i am sorry for your loss..i hope you are sorry for mine.

Baron-
    I remember the news reports on TV when this happened...WOW! I'm glad you got a guilty verdict! I know it doesn't really help you, but I hope that it keeps him from injuring anyone else in the future. Has he paid any of your medical bills or have you gotten any kind of settlement from him at all?
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

That is good news although it doesnt bring your health back. Hopefully you can get on with your life and salvage what is left. It is a sad situation that did not have to happen.

(((hugs)))
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown