Thread: Suprapubic Stoma

Suprapubic Stoma

I had a suprapubic cystostomy last October.

Lately, I've noticed that the ostomy and catheter have some brown crust on them when I wake up in the morning. It kind of looks like dried blood, but, as far as I can tell, I haven't been bleeding from the stoma. It cleans off easily and it only occurs in the morning. Is this most likely from normal drainage?

I've also noticed a small flap of skin protruding from inside of the stoma along one side of the catheter. It's about half a centimeter long and looks very "fleshy." Should I be worried about this? Can it be removed by a doctor?

It sounds like the small flap of skin is what is bleeding, sometimes people get that extra piece of skin. If it can't be "pushed" back in, it may be able to have AGNO3 (silver nitrite) applied to essentially cauterize it. This is done by an MD only. It can also be left alone if it is not bothering you.

JM

Aside from its appearance, it's not bothering me. It doesn't seem to be bleeding, either.

I'll have my physiatrist look at it when I go to my next check-up.

Thanks.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Is it normal for the tissue on the inside of the stoma, right around the catheter, to become really red and raw with a little bleeding for several days after changing the catheter?

Man, I thought these things were supposed to be low maintenance.

"Man, I thought these things were supposed to be low maintenance."

there ain't any bladder mgmt method in sci without problems

they all come with baggage

Originally posted by crags:

there ain't any bladder mgmt method in sci without problems

they all come with baggage
    No question about that. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm carrying the normal baggage for a suprapubic catheter.

I was told that it would be much easier to take care of than the urethral catheter I used to use. That hasn't been my experience, so far.

Hi squeakywheel,
    I've had a sp for ~30 years, some irritation is normal for a day or so but it should clear up. What kind of tube do you use ? I developed a latex allergy that caused the redness and bleeding you discribe. Now I only use silicone. Also I only use hydrogen peroxide to clean the area. My urologist said not to use ointment of any kind as you will become resistant to it's healing properties. I do keep the area covered with a 4x4 with a slit in it for the tube. Mine really is low maintenance with only a monthly change.
    ~Dennis

squeaky, I wouldn't worry.

Everything you describe is normal.