Thread: Return of sensation? Help

Return of sensation? Help

Yesterday I was helping Isaac (5 years) dress and he said his bottm itched would I scratch it? I asked where and he said in the middle. He is T5/6 complete. Has anyone lost this sensation and then have it return? Is this a signal of something returning with his anal spincter? I have a hard time figuring out sometimes without him being able to be clear on what he feels.

Well Kaye you'll never know,this could be his bowel returning,of course i'm no pro. but I had the same feelings before,now I know when I need to use the bathroom(#2).Does he know when he needs to use the bathroom?,can he feel pressure on his butt when sitting?......you'll just never know but I would assume that is agood sign,just keep the faith.

He can feel deep pressure, just not light touch. Also he just started mentioning the itching recently. He hasn't mentioned being able to know when he has to go. About 1.5 weeks ago he told his mom that he felt the suppository. Definitely trying to keep the faith. One year anniversary of injury was February 14, 2004

Kaye, many people get patches of sensation below their injury site returning over many months and years. It would not be surprising if he is getting sensation back and it would be a very good sign indeed if he is able to feel it in his bottom and anal region which represent the lowermost segments of the sacral spinal cord. Have you tried putting Isaac in a swimming pool and see what he can do with less gravity on his legs, to see if he can move anything? Wise.

Dr Young,
    Actually I have been trying to find an affordable pool to take him to until the weather gets better. Right now the going rate and only available in Seguin Tx is 65$ a month. After Memorial Day the pool where he lives will be open and he goes everyday. I heard someone in the exercise forum mention they could walk in the pool and hadn't even realized it until recently, now I am anxious to get Isaac in there. Thank you for always taking the time to answer our questions!

Kaye, my son gained sensation return little by little and still seems to be, coming up post injury two years in May. I just read this to him, and he said yes, that he has progressed to the point that once his suppository is ready, he knows he had better hurry to the toilet and doesn't need to dig stim or check emptiness any longer. My son has a good sense of pain and position, but much less with hot/cold and light touch although...a few months back, while he was using leg braces I reached out to pick a hair off the back of his shirt/pant area knowing I didn't even barely brush him, just pulled the hair off and he asked me what was I doing? Surprised the heck out of me. And yes, go swimming, it is a wonderful therapy and one never knows. My son says he is able to sit on the chair in the water and knowingly move his legs somewhat side to side and maybe a bit up and down. Happy for Isaac and you who love him.