Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: suicide question

suicide question

watching the news i realised that ab people are the ones who commit suicide,more than sci people.shame on them.
    we suffer so much ,but we still want to live and to be cured.
    that means to me that we are stronger and we appreciate life more than some ab people.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

What was the question again????
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Hate to sound really negative - but that's not true - suicide rate in Britian is 5 times higher for people in first 5 years post injury than for the general population - that's why things like this site are important.

Also not true in the USA. Similar to GB, in the USA there is a fairly high rate (3-5X the general population) of suicide in the first 5 years post injury, but this decreases dramatically after that and at 10 years the rate is similar to the AB population.

People with MS are fairly consistently at 3X the general population for suicide regardless of time since diagnoses.

(KLD)

There was a pretty dark time in my life after SCI that I wanted to kill myself. Had a loaded 9 mm handgun with hollow points and everything. The only reason I did not succeed was my inability to pull the slide back loading a bullet from the clip into the action of the gun, (no hand function). As time went by, my life got brighter and those thoughts diminished. I don't know what will happen years from now as the body gets older, weaker, and bad things start to happen. I believe in a person's right to die rather than suffer a terrible condition. I know this kind of thought offends some people, but that's how I truly feel.

only weak and idiots commit suicide.life is too valuable.
    the life itself is a fight.
    i will fight until the end.
    i am just sad when i see ab or others[sci,cancer,hiv.etc]giving up.
    • Dum spiro, spero.

Adi’ - It is not weak and idiots but I think I know what you mean, and KLD and Cpollard is right. It is also some logic in this, some commit suicide for less the problems SCI brings. But stay strong in your fight and I hope your determination will continue. It is a complicated issue, also a taboo issue with a lot of diffuse numbers as for this I believe, meaning numbers could be higher than some studies gives.

There is a movie called "The Bridge" about people who bipolor and mentally challenged, so please be careful when calling people names.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelm
    There is a movie called "The Bridge" about people who bipolor and mentally challenged, so please be careful when calling people names.
    do you remmembered back in 1930 when a lot of people jumped from the sky scrapers.they just forget to wear a parachute.
    can i call this kind of people SMART?
    • Dum spiro, spero.

i think suicide is truely selfish. you're only caring about yourself (and not in a good way) and in the end all you do is hurt everyone who love you and care for you. but then again, the ones who do it never get to see that part.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com